Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: (uncommon?) problem with external hard drive

16 Sep 2014   #11
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

Hi suez,

Check whether you can access that particular partition in the external drive with Live Linux. If you can, then you can copy all data in it to another external drive/pendrive of adequate capacity.

I would recommend you go the Lucid Puppy way. Easy to download and easy to create a bootable Lucid Puppy pendrive from which you can boot into Lucid Puppy.

Download Lucid Puppy (Ubuntu Compatible Build) version 5.2.8 ISO (132.6 MB) Download latest Puppy Linux release

Create your bootable pen drive using Rufus v 1.4.10 (616KB) Backup all data on your pen drive before using Rufus since all that will be lost when Rufus formats it.

With your pendrive connected, run Rufus, check your correct pen drive is selected.
In "Create a bootable disk using" select ISO Image with the dropdown arrow. (Leave everything else to dlefault.)
Cick on the Disk icon next to it and select the Lucid Puppy ISO.

Click on Start and allow Rufus to complete writing the ISO to the pendrive.

Close Rufus.

Now connect your problem external drive and another external drive on which you want to copy the recovered files and then reboot your computer.

Use the one-time boot menu and boot from the USB pendrive.

Wait for Lucid Puppy to load and you will be in the Lucid Puppy desktop.

On how to use Lucid Puppy see Lucid Puppy way to recover files from a non-bootable computer ( Read only what is under the topic Recovering files from the non-bootable Internal Drive: - In your case it will be your inaccessible partition on your external drive

Please note that all partitions will appear as drives and you should be able to recognise them by their size.

If you can successfully recover all data, then you may try to repair your drive with File Check in MiniTools Partition Wizard or format that drive.

I have given priority to the data recovery attempt.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 Sep 2014   #12
suez

none
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
Hi suez,

Check whether you can access that particular partition in the external drive with Live Linux. If you can, then you can copy all data in it to another external drive/pendrive of adequate capacity.

I would recommend you go the Lucid Puppy way. Easy to download and easy to create a bootable Lucid Puppy pendrive from which you can boot into Lucid Puppy.

Download Lucid Puppy (Ubuntu Compatible Build) version 5.2.8 ISO (132.6 MB) Download latest Puppy Linux release

Create your bootable pen drive using Rufus v 1.4.10 (616KB) Backup all data on your pen drive before using Rufus since all that will be lost when Rufus formats it.

With your pendrive connected, run Rufus, check your correct pen drive is selected.
In "Create a bootable disk using" select ISO Image with the dropdown arrow. (Leave everything else to dlefault.)
Cick on the Disk icon next to it and select the Lucid Puppy ISO.

Click on Start and allow Rufus to complete writing the ISO to the pendrive.

Close Rufus.

Now connect your problem external drive and another external drive on which you want to copy the recovered files and then reboot your computer.

Use the one-time boot menu and boot from the USB pendrive.

Wait for Lucid Puppy to load and you will be in the Lucid Puppy desktop.

On how to use Lucid Puppy see Lucid Puppy way to recover files from a non-bootable computer ( Read only what is under the topic Recovering files from the non-bootable Internal Drive: - In your case it will be your inaccessible partition on your external drive

Please note that all partitions will appear as drives and you should be able to recognise them by their size.

If you can successfully recover all data, then you may try to repair your drive with File Check in MiniTools Partition Wizard or format that drive.

I have given priority to the data recovery attempt.
Thanks for the suggestion - but I don't have enough USB ports to try this. Is it possible to try recovering from one partition to another, on the same drive? If not, I would have to find another computer to attempt, but it may be worth trying this first.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Sep 2014   #13
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

Don't you have atleast three USB ports free on your PC? - one for the Lucid Puppy pendrive, one for the problem external drive and one for the external drive on which you copy? If not, you can instead of writing the Lucid Puppy ISO onto a pendrive, burn the ISO to a CD and boot Linux from the CD.

Your problem external drive HDD was removed from another laptop because obviously there was some problem with that HDD. No point in saving your data to other partitions on that drive.

I do not recommend saving your data onto the system drive in your desktop. If you have a second data only internal drive on your desktop, then you can save the data into it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Sep 2014   #14
suez

none
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
Don't you have atleast three USB ports
I only have two USB ports, and no CD drive unfortunately.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
Your problem external drive HDD was removed from another laptop because obviously there was some problem with that HDD. No point in saving your data to other partitions on that drive.
The other partition on the drive is absolutely fine and functioning properly - I can add/remove/manipulate files on it without issues.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Sep 2014   #15
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

On what PC are you connecting the external drive ?

Your system Spec says PC/desktop. OS: none

Are you having a PC/Desktop with no OS?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Sep 2014   #16
suez

none
 
 

Hi - please ignore the system specs, that was just a placeholder since it wouldn't let me register with blank. The same issue has occurred on multiple computers, so the problem is really just the drive itself.

I have actually now managed to recover data using a much, much simpler method! MiniTool Power Data Recovery has been able to read the drive, though I had tried this in the past and it hadn't worked, so I'm a little bit confused - but very pleased! The drive still has the same problems but somehow this software has managed to bypass what otherwise makes the partition unreadable. I can't actually access it to manipulate the files on it but MiniTool has been able to recover from it. I had tried things like Recuva, which couldn't scan it, so, again I'm not sure how but this worked.

Now I have all the data I need from the drive - but I cannot delete it, and there is sensitive content. How should I go about destroying it, when I cannot even delete, format or anything?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Sep 2014   #17
suez

none
 
 

Hello,
I still need some help with this, if anyone can.

I have been able to recover the data I needed but I have no means of erasing the drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Sep 2014   #18
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

Are you able to see the drive with MiniTools Partition Wizard?

If seen, try to delete all the partitions with it and then wipe it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2014   #19
suez

none
 
 

Thank you, but I have already tried this many times. The drive shows in Partition Wizard. I can manipulate (format/delete/erase/shrink etc) the other partitions without a problem. The problem partition, nothing can be done to it. It justs sticks at 0%. It cannot even be deleted.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2014   #20
matts6887

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by suez View Post
Hello,
I still need some help with this, if anyone can.

I have been able to recover the data I needed but I have no means of erasing the drive.
if you want to erase the problem drive; and windows can still see the drive; have you tried to do a complete format of the drive? doing that should erase/delete all contents on the drive and format the drive for use again as long as the drive is usable and in working order.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 (uncommon?) problem with external hard drive




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
External Hard Drive Problem :(
:( I think Mere Hard Drive mai Virus hai. Hard Drive ki space y show kar rai hai k external hard mai data hai . but in folder wo show nai ho rha ...... My Hard drive show data space in properties . But Data not show in drive . I this Its virus. Kindly recomend good Antivirus software :(:(:(
Hardware & Devices
External hard drive problem
My Xternal hard drive that I have had for awhile,is being dropped while I am using it.Then when I go back to open it again,it is not even listed on my computer. I have windows 7 ultimate 64.It is a small drive HDDgear is the name.I have un plugged it and tried it on another computer with XP and it...
Hardware & Devices
WD External hard drive problem from no where?
Ok. Well my external hard drive is about 3 months old. I have videos, pictures and my itunes library on it. It has been working without a flaw up until now. I plug it in, type in password, click the vid or pic I wanna view and i get "discovering" or "cant find file/cant read file or cant read...
Hardware & Devices
USB External Hard Drive Problem
When using a USB external hard drive on my old computer with Windows XP, I could delete and add videos with no problems, and then simply defragment that drive from time to time. Now with my new computer and Windows 7, I am finding that when using the same USB external hard drive to delete and add...
Hardware & Devices
External hard drive problem! please help!!!
I was using Win XP on my Toshiba Satellite A215 S5818 until yesterday, now im using windows 7, so i insert my Transcend Storejet external hard drive, it was working perfectly like it used to. So i left my lap top running through the whole night because i was downloading something. I get up this...
Drivers


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App