Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: USB ports affecting my hardware !?

09 Nov 2014   #1
n3n3

Windows 7 x64
 
 
USB ports affecting my hardware !?

Hi there,

Recently, I have encountered a very very annoying problem, and since I didn't really know where to get help for it, I'm posting on this forum.

Here is my setup :

Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014 and a Logitech mouse.

Here is the description of my problem :

I am on my computer and suddenly, the lights of my keyboard are turning on and off with a random idling time between the falshes, as the ligh flashes I cannot use my keyboard. My mouse isn't responsing either.

Here is what I tried : I tried to switch the usb ports I was using but to my confusion it only made things worse. I don't really know why this is but switching from several ports at the back of my tower didn't suit windows and I couldn't even enter my password with the keyboard in the windows log in screen. I had to use the numeric one and then open the razer program for it to work.

So that get's me really confused to what USB ports I should use.

I tried getting windows to search new drivers for me but it didn't fix the problem.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Nov 2014   #2
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

And here is (a) way to properly fill in your system specs

System Info - See Your System Specs

This tell us nothing.

Quote:
Computer type PC/Desktop
System Manufacturer/Model Number custom build
OS Windows 7 x64
CPU a
Motherboard a
Memory a
Graphics Card a

Hard Drives a
Antivirus a
Browser Chrome

My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2014   #3
n3n3

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
And here is (a) way to properly fill in your system specs

System Info - See Your System Specs

This tell us nothing.

Quote:
Computer type PC/Desktop
System Manufacturer/Model Number custom build
OS Windows 7 x64
CPU a
Motherboard a
Memory a
Graphics Card a

Hard Drives a
Antivirus a
Browser Chrome

I have now updated my information.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Nov 2014   #4
dsperber

Windows 7 Pro x64 (1), Win7 Pro X64 (2)
 
 

Some background info please...

Are the keyboard and mouse NEW acquisitions, and you're having some initial problems using them for the first time? Or have you had them for quite a while now and they were working perfectly all this time, and suddenly the symptoms you're describing have appeared... just in the past day or so?

I assume you must have a prior keyboard and mouse as well. If you use these old devices, they both work perfectly? Start with them both installed.

Now if you swap one of these older items for the corresponding newer item, one at a time, does the other now-installed "new" device now work correctly without the symptoms you describe? If yes, perhaps the "new" device you're currently using is not the culprit but is working perfectly. Perhaps there's a hardware problem with the other "new" device you've temporarily swapped out and are not using at the moment.

If the first test ran fine, repeat the swap experiment but this time using the other "new" device. Again, does this second "new" device now work perfectly? If yes, it would seem that both "new" devices work correctly when used by themselves. It's only when BOTH are in use that there's some kind of a compatibility problem between their hardware and/or drivers.

If either test fails with the same symptoms you reported earlier, from whichever "new" device is currently installed, it seems likely you've just found the "culprit" hardware or driver that's causing your problems.

Are you using USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 ports? Unless there's some reason behind it, I'd suggest using USB 2.0 ports for mouse and keyboard. They just don't need USB 3.0 speeds, so you might as well not "waste" an available USB 3.0 port which could much better be used for an external USB 3.0 drive or something. But I wouldn't expect any different behavior from switching between one USB 2.0 port and another on your machine.

Are you using the latest Logitech SetPoint software for your mouse? Latest Razer software for your keyboard?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2014   #5
n3n3

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dsperber View Post
Some background info please...

Are the keyboard and mouse NEW acquisitions, and you're having some initial problems using them for the first time? Or have you had them for quite a while now and they were working perfectly all this time, and suddenly the symptoms you're describing have appeared... just in the past day or so?

I assume you must have a prior keyboard and mouse as well. If you use these old devices, they both work perfectly? Start with them both installed.

Now if you swap one of these older items for the corresponding newer item, one at a time, does the other now-installed "new" device now work correctly without the symptoms you describe? If yes, perhaps the "new" device you're currently using is not the culprit but is working perfectly. Perhaps there's a hardware problem with the other "new" device you've temporarily swapped out and are not using at the moment.

If the first test ran fine, repeat the swap experiment but this time using the other "new" device. Again, does this second "new" device now work perfectly? If yes, it would seem that both "new" devices work correctly when used by themselves. It's only when BOTH are in use that there's some kind of a compatibility problem between their hardware and/or drivers.

If either test fails with the same symptoms you reported earlier, from whichever "new" device is currently installed, it seems likely you've just found the "culprit" hardware or driver that's causing your problems.

Are you using USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 ports? Unless there's some reason behind it, I'd suggest using USB 2.0 ports for mouse and keyboard. They just don't need USB 3.0 speeds, so you might as well not "waste" an available USB 3.0 port which could much better be used for an external USB 3.0 drive or something. But I wouldn't expect any different behavior from switching between one USB 2.0 port and another on your machine.

Are you using the latest Logitech SetPoint software for your mouse? Latest Razer software for your keyboard?
I would say the symptoms appeared not more than a month ago? (About the time when I tried changing my devices' port to one another?)

I don't think it's a problem concerning my mouse and keyboard, I would say it would come from my computer (ports maybe? I'm not an expert).

I tried to do test runs myself before posting to see what was going on at it appears that when I plug my devices in certain usb ports they respond normally (I can use it to input my password in the windows account log in) but when I change the port they are using (for the keyboard, not the mouse) I have to wait for windows to have launched and to have turned on Razer Synapse (razor material app) so that I can use the keyboard like I would be able to (guessing Razer Synapse acts like a kind of driver).

I have two ports on the top of my tower and the rest of usb ports I used are at the back of the computer.

That's that.

Part of my problem was also that I encountered was that my keyboard started not working [flashing (the leds turning themselves on and off randomly)] and the mouse not responding either, at random times after the computer being turned on and working.

I tried unplugging the devices' usb and re-plugging them in, but sadly it didn't fix anything and the devices continued not working.

Thank you very much for reading, as I know I explain myself in a poor manner.

I also am not familiar with USB3s and 2s, I'm sorry I don't know what you are talking about.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2014   #6
dsperber

Windows 7 Pro x64 (1), Win7 Pro X64 (2)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by n3n3 View Post
I would say the symptoms appeared not more than a month ago? (About the time when I tried changing my devices' port to one another?)
Why did you decide to change the USB ports the two devices were plugged into? What triggered that motivation? What was wrong with just still using the old USB ports?

And now, even when you return to using the original USB ports before you changed things, the previous problem-free performance has not also returned as you'd expect (especially if the current problem is somehow related to the USB ports being used)?


Quote:
I don't think it's a problem concerning my mouse and keyboard, I would say it would come from my computer (ports maybe? I'm not an expert).
Well, if you were using these very same mouse and keyboard devices before a month ago and were problem free, and only after for some reason changing things to use different USB ports a month ago did your current problems appear, I'd agree with you that it seems more likely something tied to your computer itself (and its USB ports) than some recent hardware deterioration of your mouse and/or keyboard.


Quote:
I tried to do test runs myself before posting to see what was going on at it appears that when I plug my devices in certain usb ports they respond normally (I can use it to input my password in the windows account log in) but when I change the port they are using (for the keyboard, not the mouse) I have to wait for windows to have launched and to have turned on Razer Synapse (razor material app) so that I can use the keyboard like I would be able to (guessing Razer Synapse acts like a kind of driver).
This is not entirely surprising, and may also well explain your current symptoms.

And the "solution" might truly be just to go back to the original USB ports you were using originally (although your choice back then may have been just a fortuitous accident, which luckily was correct). More below.


Quote:
I have two ports on the top of my tower and the rest of usb ports I used are at the back of the computer.
Are the front ports USB 2.0 or USB 3.0? Same with the back ports. You can tell from the motherboard manual, and which onboard USB header connectors you used to connect to the USB ports on your case.

Or, you can just look at the USB ports themselves. USB 2.0 ports typically have a "black tongue" inside the socket, whereas USB 3.0 ports typically have a "blue tongue" inside the socket. This is by design, so that you can visually see that they are different and so that you will use whichever one is appropriate for the USB device you're connecting. Other than that the physical size and shape of the sockets is the same.

There's a similar color-coded difference between a USB 2.0 cable and USB 3.0 cable, where again there is either a black or blue visible "lip" on the connector at the end of the cable. Again, that's by design to make things easier for you to keep track of.

USB 3.0 ports are fully compatible with USB 2.0 devices or USB 3.0 devices. But USB 2.0 devices can only provide USB 2.0 performance, even if you plug a USB 3.0 device into it. Actually, you'll probably get some type of popup message from Windows about "better performance can be obtained if you use a USB 3.0 port", if you plug a USB 3.0 device into a USB 2.0 port.

Now on the ASUS motherboards (I have a P8Z77-V Pro), there is a stated difference between the various USB connectors on the back of the board. Not only are there USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports, but there is also a "special USB BIOS flashback port" (surrounded by a green color fringe) which has a special purpose.




On my machine I've also installed the optional USB connector bracket to provide additional USB 2.0 ports for my other USB 2.0 devices, so as to allow the USB 3.0 connectors to be used for USB 3.0 devices.

Anyway, because of some oddity with using all of these USB ports, I am unable to use one of them (the upper USB 3.0 port shown as "11" in the above picture, just below the LAN port) for a USB 3.0 device. In fact, if I use it at all my machine then malfunctions (although I cannot remember the exact symptom, whether it's to lose USB ports or to lose something else unrelated to USB... can't recall, it's been a long time). So to this day, it's just open and unused with nothing connected to it, and consequently my machine is happily running without any problems.

My point is that you might have stumbled into a similar problem, trying to use the complete set of USB ports you assumed were all available (as I did), only to have run into what I would call a motherboard oddity tied to using that particular USB port. And it might well be that one of the USB ports is not enabled and available until after Windows starts and the USB driver software enables things, whereas others are always available (e.g. for when talking to the BIOS in Setup, pre-Windows).

So, I would suggest trying to find some other USB 2.0 ports that you can plug your mouse and keyboard into than the ones you've determined are causing your symptom. Do you have other spare USB ports you can use? You might even try the front ports on your case (even if they can support USB 3.0), just for this experiment. Does your problem symptom still occur? If you're strapped for USB ports, can you maybe give up just one on the front for the experiment (or forever, if it solves your problem)?

I'm just suggesting you find a solution, even if the problem comes from ASUS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2014   #7
n3n3

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dsperber View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by n3n3 View Post
I would say the symptoms appeared not more than a month ago? (About the time when I tried changing my devices' port to one another?)
Why did you decide to change the USB ports the two devices were plugged into? What triggered that motivation? What was wrong with just still using the old USB ports?

And now, even when you return to using the original USB ports before you changed things, the previous problem-free performance has not also returned as you'd expect (especially if the current problem is somehow related to the USB ports being used)?


Quote:
I don't think it's a problem concerning my mouse and keyboard, I would say it would come from my computer (ports maybe? I'm not an expert).
Well, if you were using these very same mouse and keyboard devices before a month ago and were problem free, and only after for some reason changing things to use different USB ports a month ago did your current problems appear, I'd agree with you that it seems more likely something tied to your computer itself (and its USB ports) than some recent hardware deterioration of your mouse and/or keyboard.


Quote:
I tried to do test runs myself before posting to see what was going on at it appears that when I plug my devices in certain usb ports they respond normally (I can use it to input my password in the windows account log in) but when I change the port they are using (for the keyboard, not the mouse) I have to wait for windows to have launched and to have turned on Razer Synapse (razor material app) so that I can use the keyboard like I would be able to (guessing Razer Synapse acts like a kind of driver).
This is not entirely surprising, and may also well explain your current symptoms.

And the "solution" might truly be just to go back to the original USB ports you were using originally (although your choice back then may have been just a fortuitous accident, which luckily was correct). More below.


Quote:
I have two ports on the top of my tower and the rest of usb ports I used are at the back of the computer.
Are the front ports USB 2.0 or USB 3.0? Same with the back ports. You can tell from the motherboard manual, and which onboard USB header connectors you used to connect to the USB ports on your case.

Or, you can just look at the USB ports themselves. USB 2.0 ports typically have a "black tongue" inside the socket, whereas USB 3.0 ports typically have a "blue tongue" inside the socket. This is by design, so that you can visually see that they are different and so that you will use whichever one is appropriate for the USB device you're connecting. Other than that the physical size and shape of the sockets is the same.

There's a similar color-coded difference between a USB 2.0 cable and USB 3.0 cable, where again there is either a black or blue visible "lip" on the connector at the end of the cable. Again, that's by design to make things easier for you to keep track of.

USB 3.0 ports are fully compatible with USB 2.0 devices or USB 3.0 devices. But USB 2.0 devices can only provide USB 2.0 performance, even if you plug a USB 3.0 device into it. Actually, you'll probably get some type of popup message from Windows about "better performance can be obtained if you use a USB 3.0 port", if you plug a USB 3.0 device into a USB 2.0 port.

Now on the ASUS motherboards (I have a P8Z77-V Pro), there is a stated difference between the various USB connectors on the back of the board. Not only are there USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports, but there is also a "special USB BIOS flashback port" (surrounded by a green color fringe) which has a special purpose.




On my machine I've also installed the optional USB connector bracket to provide additional USB 2.0 ports for my other USB 2.0 devices, so as to allow the USB 3.0 connectors to be used for USB 3.0 devices.

Anyway, because of some oddity with using all of these USB ports, I am unable to use one of them (the upper USB 3.0 port shown as "11" in the above picture, just below the LAN port) for a USB 3.0 device. In fact, if I use it at all my machine then malfunctions (although I cannot remember the exact symptom, whether it's to lose USB ports or to lose something else unrelated to USB... can't recall, it's been a long time). So to this day, it's just open and unused with nothing connected to it, and consequently my machine is happily running without any problems.

My point is that you might have stumbled into a similar problem, trying to use the complete set of USB ports you assumed were all available (as I did), only to have run into what I would call a motherboard oddity tied to using that particular USB port. And it might well be that one of the USB ports is not enabled and available until after Windows starts and the USB driver software enables things, whereas others are always available (e.g. for when talking to the BIOS in Setup, pre-Windows).

So, I would suggest trying to find some other USB 2.0 ports that you can plug your mouse and keyboard into than the ones you've determined are causing your symptom. Do you have other spare USB ports you can use? You might even try the front ports on your case (even if they can support USB 3.0), just for this experiment. Does your problem symptom still occur? If you're strapped for USB ports, can you maybe give up just one on the front for the experiment (or forever, if it solves your problem)?

I'm just suggesting you find a solution, even if the problem comes from ASUS.
Thank you for taking the time to reply, I will take a look at all the different USB ports tomorrow and come back with answers.

I think that

" My point is that you might have stumbled into a similar problem, trying to use the complete set of USB ports you assumed were all available (as I did), only to have run into what I would call a motherboard oddity tied to using that particular USB port. And it might well be that one of the USB ports is not enabled and available until after Windows starts and the USB driver software enables things, whereas others are always available (e.g. for when talking to the BIOS in Setup, pre-Windows). "

might be very possible.

I don't really know if me pluging stuff in it could be at the origin of the "loss of control" that randomly appears whenever I have my computer on, that I described in my previous post.

I'll will keep you informed and thank you once more.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2014   #8
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

I use USB 2.0 for all mice and keyboards.

At the present time I'm using my DAS 4 Pro keyboard in USB 2.0 although it's designed for USB 3.0. and the reason is because a human using a keyboard can't type fast enough to ever need the speed of a USB 3.0. Same thing with a mouse.

I would also suggest checking how the cables are plug in.
Make sure you don't have any strain on them. They should plug in straight with no side tension on them.

Note:
I never did get anything from Logitech that worked proper for long.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Nov 2014   #9
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

I noticed in your specs you don't have a anti virus program.
That is not good.
I recommend using MSE by Microsoft. It works well with Malwarebytes Anti Malware.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...tials-download

You don't mention in your specs what type of cooling for the cpu you are using.

Do you have what ever cooling you use hooked to the motherboard cpu fan header?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Nov 2014   #10
n3n3

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
I noticed in your specs you don't have a anti virus program.
That is not good.
I recommend using MSE by Microsoft. It works well with Malwarebytes Anti Malware.

Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows

You don't mention in your specs what type of cooling for the cpu you are using.

Do you have what ever cooling you use hooked to the motherboard cpu fan header?
I have no antiviruses because they end up interfering with what I usually spend my time on, and puting things in exclusions is time consuming.

I bought a corsair fan a while ago but I don't really know what version it is
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 USB ports affecting my hardware !?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Front USB ports not working, but rear USB ports work…
This is a brand new custom built PC for web browsing for a motel lobby. Win7 Home Premium AMD A4-3300 Llano MSI A55M-P33 FM1 Rosewill FBM-02 MicroATX Mini Tower Running latest BIOS and latest drivers downloaded directly from manufacturer's website. I tried switching between all 3...
Hardware & Devices
USB 3.0 ports refuse to work as USB 3.0 ports
A few days ago I installed a USB 3.0 card (to be precise, this one: 2-Port USB 3.0 SuperSpeed PCI-E Controller Card - Free Shipping - DealExtreme). It uses the very common NEC µPD720200 USB 3.0 controller. I installed the required drivers for Windows 7, and the card worked fine for the first...
Hardware & Devices
WIN 7 SP1 affecting operation of some Ports ?
I have WIN 7 64-bit and recently it upgraded to include SP1. Shortly after this I found that software I had previously installed and which accessed a Server through PORT 9000 was not accessible. This was a Logitec App called Squeezebox which is used to administer a music database of .mp3 files...
Network & Sharing
Can I format just one partition without affecting the other?
I have a hard drive that used to have windows 7 RC installed onto it's own partition, (so 2 partitions on one drive) I have since bought a new Hard drive and installed Windows 7 Home Premium on it and I am now using the old Hard drive for storage My question is I want to clear out the partition...
Hardware & Devices
DPI Affecting Programs
Hey guys, I've recently purchased a new notebook, and the items on the screen were incredibly small. I used the 'make text or other items larger or smaller' option in control panel and set it to 150%. The problem is when I run Camtasia studio and go to record the screen the recording section of...
General Discussion
IE9 affecting Desktop Gadgets!!???
OK this is a very odd problem indeed. I installed the Internet Explorer 9 Beta on my desktop computer, and loved it. So, the next day I decided to put it on my laptop. It runs fine, only it is causing a very odd problem. The "calendar" desktop gadget no longer displays a calendar, just the orange...
Browsers & Mail


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App