Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Hard drive errors after installing Windows 7

23 Nov 2014   #1
belavita

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
 
 
Hard drive errors after installing Windows 7

I apologize for the lengthy post, but I want to give as much info as possible to help diagnose.

Computer became infected with a virus.

I wiped the hard drive clean using Dell System Recovery Disk. It also installed Windows 7.
Upon completion of install, computer was restarted; Win 7 behaved normally (was able to access installed programs, internet, sound, etc.)
Once computer was powered off and turned on again, it went straight to “Windows Boot Manager” black screen which said:
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1) Insert Windows install disk and restart
2) Choose language
3) Click Repair Your Computer
Status 0xc000000e
Info: Boot selection failed because required devise is inaccessible.

An ePSA Pre-boot system assessment was run. Everything passed except the hard drive, which shows Error Code 2000-0146, Validation 62947 and shows a message of: "Self-test log contains previous errors." (this was run more than once).

The process of reformatting the hard drive using the Dell System Recovery Disk was repeated in order to get back into Windows. Then a scan of the hard drive was conducted via C:/Properties/Tools and returned the following errors:
-Found 6 bad clusters
-The volume Bitmap is incorrect
-Windows found a problem with the file system
-Run CHKDSK/F to correct this

I gave the command to run CHKDSK upon the next start of the computer. The computer was restarted, but went to the “Windows Boot Manager” black screen upon start up (again).

I repeated the Dell System Recovery Disk process once again to get back into Windows. Created a Boot Disk. Restarted the computer from the Boot Disk. It “loaded files”, then gets to the Windows screen showing “Error 0x401100200001012.” After clicking “OK” it brings up the “Windows Boot Manager” black screen, AGAIN!

I can’t find a way to get into the computer to fix the hard drive errors. Pressing F8 doesn’t work when the computer starts up. Only options are F2 and F12.

-Is it time to replace the hard drive or is there another solution?
-Could my Recovery Disk be the cause of these problems?
-Although a CD containing drivers came with the computer, I didn’t load these drivers as I assumed they were contained in the Recovery Disk. Would this have any affect?

Any help is appreciated!



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
23 Nov 2014   #2
Sugarcake18

Windows 7 pro 64bit
 
 

First thing I would do is along side that chkdsk I would run a sfc /scannow and try one more time since you got nothing to lose, if that doesn't work or sound like the way to go you can always try a hard drive cleaner by connecting your hard drive via sata/usb cord to another computer and try one of these programs
Five hard disk cleaning and erasing tools - TechRepublic

And last if this doesn't work chances are your hard drive has failed and you will need a replace in order to work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Nov 2014   #3
belavita

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sugarcake18 View Post
First thing I would do is along side that chkdsk I would run a sfc /scannow and try one more time since you got nothing to lose, if that doesn't work or sound like the way to go you can always try a hard drive cleaner by connecting your hard drive via sata/usb cord to another computer and try one of these programs
Five hard disk cleaning and erasing tools - TechRepublic

And last if this doesn't work chances are your hard drive has failed and you will need a replace in order to work.

I took your advise and ran sfc /scannow. The Verification phase was 100% complete and showed "Window Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." No errors there, so I guess that's a good thing? Were there supposed to be other phases? I ran it a second time, but it gave me the same result.

Connecting the hard drive via sata/usb is not an option.... and out of my comfort zone.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Nov 2014   #4
Sugarcake18

Windows 7 pro 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by belavita View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sugarcake18 View Post
First thing I would do is along side that chkdsk I would run a sfc /scannow and try one more time since you got nothing to lose, if that doesn't work or sound like the way to go you can always try a hard drive cleaner by connecting your hard drive via sata/usb cord to another computer and try one of these programs
Five hard disk cleaning and erasing tools - TechRepublic

And last if this doesn't work chances are your hard drive has failed and you will need a replace in order to work.

I took your advise and ran sfc /scannow. The Verification phase was 100% complete and showed "Window Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." No errors there, so I guess that's a good thing? Were there supposed to be other phases? I ran it a second time, but it gave me the same result.

Connecting the hard drive via sata/usb is not an option.... and out of my comfort zone.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Are you able to get on the OS at all or automatically Just the black screen? Also when you ran the chkdsk command did you run it with the /f option?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2014   #5
belavita

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
 
 

Yes, I gave the chkdsk command with the /F option to run upon restart. The problem is that every time the computer restarts, it brings up the black screen, thus it's not able to run chkdsk and fix any errors. I don't know of any way within Windows to run the check and fix errors since it has to be started on a clean boot. I can load Windows using my Recovery disk, but as soon as I shut the computer down and restart, I get the black screen.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2014   #6
Sugarcake18

Windows 7 pro 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by belavita View Post
Yes, I gave the chkdsk command with the /F option to run upon restart. The problem is that every time the computer restarts, it brings up the black screen, thus it's not able to run chkdsk and fix any errors. I don't know of any way within Windows to run the check and fix errors since it has to be started on a clean boot. I can load Windows using my Recovery disk, but as soon as I shut the computer down and restart, I get the black screen.
What all hardware do you have connected to your computer besides the monitor, mouse, and keyboard?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2014   #7
belavita

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sugarcake18 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by belavita View Post
Yes, I gave the chkdsk command with the /F option to run upon restart. The problem is that every time the computer restarts, it brings up the black screen, thus it's not able to run chkdsk and fix any errors. I don't know of any way within Windows to run the check and fix errors since it has to be started on a clean boot. I can load Windows using my Recovery disk, but as soon as I shut the computer down and restart, I get the black screen.
What all hardware do you have connected to your computer besides the monitor, mouse, and keyboard?
It's a laptop, so keyboard & monitor are connected. No other hardware is connected (mouse, printer, etc. have been disconnected all along).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2014   #8
Sugarcake18

Windows 7 pro 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by belavita View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sugarcake18 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by belavita View Post
Yes, I gave the chkdsk command with the /F option to run upon restart. The problem is that every time the computer restarts, it brings up the black screen, thus it's not able to run chkdsk and fix any errors. I don't know of any way within Windows to run the check and fix errors since it has to be started on a clean boot. I can load Windows using my Recovery disk, but as soon as I shut the computer down and restart, I get the black screen.
What all hardware do you have connected to your computer besides the monitor, mouse, and keyboard?
It's a laptop, so keyboard & monitor are connected. No other hardware is connected (mouse, printer, etc. have been disconnected all along).
Have you made any changes as far as the hardware inside the computer?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Nov 2014   #9
belavita

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sugarcake18 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by belavita View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sugarcake18 View Post

What all hardware do you have connected to your computer besides the monitor, mouse, and keyboard?
It's a laptop, so keyboard & monitor are connected. No other hardware is connected (mouse, printer, etc. have been disconnected all along).
Have you made any changes as far as the hardware inside the computer?
No changes to hardware - it's the original that came with the laptop.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2014   #10
Sugarcake18

Windows 7 pro 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by belavita View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sugarcake18 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by belavita View Post

It's a laptop, so keyboard & monitor are connected. No other hardware is connected (mouse, printer, etc. have been disconnected all along).
Have you made any changes as far as the hardware inside the computer?
No changes to hardware - it's the original that came with the laptop.
I would recommend a new hard drive then, at this point that would be the easiest route to take sorry not much else I could recommend
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Hard drive errors after installing Windows 7




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Hard drive troubles and windows errors
My computer gave me an error saying that it couldn't find the hard drive. I attempted multiple fixes to no avail. I finally was able to re-boot the computer from the windows 7 disk. I thought it was fixed, but I still get the blue screen of death randomly (with a huge windows error, that disappears...
Installation & Setup
Need Help Installing Windows 7 on New Hard Drive
I have a single computer at my business that is still working but it has a corrupt windows component store and I have tried different Microsoft FixIt’s, Sfc /scannow and I even tried doing a repair install of Windows 7 but it failed multiple times. I know I could just do a clean install BUT...
Installation & Setup
Hard drive appears wiped after installing Windows 7 to another drive
Hey all, somehow my 1TB hard drive was wiped out and I've lost 930GB worth of files from the past 8 years. I don't have any backups (stupid me). My hard drive contains lots of family vacation photos and videos, old school projects I'll need in the future, and loads of other really important stuff....
Hardware & Devices
Installing two Windows on a hard drive
I have Windows XP Pro installed on my SONY laptop. It is in English. I want to install another Windows XP in a different language, on a separate partition. Can I do this, or does MS Windows demand to be installed on the C: drive?
Installation & Setup
Help installing windows 7 on a New hard drive
Hi just have a few questions about installing windows 7 on a brand new hard drive. Well i actually have a few questions so i will give you a little background first. 1. My hard drive failed on me a couple weeks ago and i was ever so intelligent enough NOT to make back-up cd's :o 2. I am in the...
Installation & Setup
Installing Windows 7 on 80 GB Hard drive
Well my old hard drive with 750 GB burned down. So i took out a other hard drive with 80 GB. I am currently running on Windows XP. And i was thinking to re-install Windows 7. Is it ok to install it on 80 GB? Or will it have performance issues? Check systems specs for more information. NOTE:...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App