Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: The Processor Dual

20 Dec 2014   #61
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by leehop71 View Post
So the only way cloning will work is like I did the SSD in my HP. Clone the existing HDD onto the SSD, then replace?
Clone? No.

Imaging? Yes. From the new PC's hard drive to the SSD.

Or just download a free and legit Windows ISO of the same version that you get on the new PC. Burn it to a DVD and install from that DVD directly to the SSD after you put it in the new PC. Activate with your new Product Key from the sticker on your new PC. That's entirely legal.

We can point you to the source for the ISO if you want to do that.

You would lose whatever crap Dell or Gateway may have put on the new PC's hard drive. Not likely you'd need any of it anyway.

If you go the ISO route, you'd have to reinstall your programs. If you image, you won't.

You can't clone because the new HD is a lot larger than the SSD. And cloning is a bit shaky anyway.

I'd do a clean install to the SSD using an ISO, but it's your call.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
20 Dec 2014   #62
leehop71

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by leehop71 View Post
So the only way cloning will work is like I did the SSD in my HP. Clone the existing HDD onto the SSD, then replace?
Clone? No.

Imaging? Yes. From the new PC's hard drive to the SSD.

Or just download a free and legit Windows ISO of the same version that you get on the new PC. Burn it to a DVD and install from that DVD. Activate with your new Product Key from the sticker on your new PC. That's entirely legal.

We can point you to the source for the ISO if you want to do that.

You would lose whatever crap Dell or Gateway may have put on the new PC's hard drive. Not likely you'd need any of it anyway.

If you go the ISO route, you'd have to reinstall your programs. If you image, you won't.

You can't clone because the new HD is a lot larger than the SSD. And cloning is a bit shaky anyway.

I'd do a clean install to the SSD using an ISO, but it's your call.
What I did on my HP was buy the Kingston and an installation kit that came with a cloning CD and a USB cable that fit right into the SSD.

I installed the CD, connected the cable, cloned the HDD to the SSD, took out the HDD, put the SSD, booted it up without issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2014   #63
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by leehop71 View Post

What I did on my HP was buy the Kingston and an installation kit that came with a cloning CD and a USB cable that fit right into the SSD.

I installed the CD, connected the cable, cloned the HDD to the SSD, took out the HDD, put the SSD, booted it up without issue.
You can try a clone, but your new hard drive is 1 TB and will have multiple partitions. Your SSD is much smaller. I'm not sure if your cloning software disk can take that into account.

You can try it.

If it fails, you would fall back on imaging or a clean install via ISO.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Dec 2014   #64
leehop71

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by leehop71 View Post

What I did on my HP was buy the Kingston and an installation kit that came with a cloning CD and a USB cable that fit right into the SSD.

I installed the CD, connected the cable, cloned the HDD to the SSD, took out the HDD, put the SSD, booted it up without issue.
You can try a clone, but your new hard drive is 1 TB and will have multiple partitions. Your SSD is much smaller. I'm not sure if your cloning software disk can take that into account.

You can try it.

If it fails, you would fall back on imaging or a clean install via ISO.
Good point! Both drives were 120G on the HP clone.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2014   #65
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Cloning will not work. You have to image/restore.

SSD - Install and Transfer the Operating System
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2014   #66
leehop71

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Okay, since the wife only has 55G on the 120 Kingston, it looks like my best bet is to reinstall programs on the new HDD and clone to the SSD.

From the research I've done, as long the drive being cloned has less information 55G (75% recommend to be safe) then the drive being cloned to 120G, there shouldn't be any issues.

Opinions?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2014   #67
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Again you are wrong. If you clone, the SSD must be at least as big as the partitions from where you clone. If you image, it does not matter. There the size of the data matters.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2014   #68
leehop71

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Again you are wrong. If you clone, the SSD must be at least as big as the partitions from where you clone. If you image, it does not matter. There the size of the data matters.
I can't image directly from the HDD to the SSD, correct?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2014   #69
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

That is correct. You need another disk to place the image. The you restore the image(s) to the SSD from that other disk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2014   #70
leehop71

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
That is correct. You need another disk to place the image.
With Acronis, I can image to an external, then restore to the SSD?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 The Processor Dual




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Unparking a Dual Core Processor on an OEM PC. Will it work?
Hello, I see one of the thread parking randomly, even if I play games. Will it work? Is it Safe? How to do it? Thanks in advance :)
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80 GHz Processor Replacement Reccomendation
I am running Windows 7 Professional x86 (32bit) and i have a P5GC MX motherboard, my computer type is ATX, and i have a Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80 GHz Processor. I very much enjoy video gaming and I don't have much trouble with the games I really love (old ones) but it's getting annoying to have...
Hardware & Devices
debating AMD Athlon™ X2 Dual-Core processor
Hey there guys, not sure if this is the right area for this or not, but im looking to pick up a new AMD Athlon™ X2 Dual-Core processor at 3 Ghz. Now Right now I have a P4 2.4 Ghz Socket 478, and I would like to upgrade my CPU, but cant really see this socket type going much higher than a...
Hardware & Devices
Dual Processor Speed Question
Hello again. Im pretty sure you guys are ganna think im dumb but oh well.:p I was wondering if you have dual processors and say it's 2.2ghz, is that the total speed or is it 4.4ghz becuase theres 2 cores? Thx P.S Hope this is in the right spot. ;)
General Discussion
Acer Ferrari One AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor
My wife is looking to buy A Windows 7 system and she is looking at the above. I can't remember whether regular 32 bit programs will work on a 64 bit cpu. I assume Windows 7 will be 64 bit though. Thanks.
General Discussion
AMD Dual Core Processor Driver?
I just bought a: AMD Athlon X2 2.2 GHz 4200+ Socket 939 89W Dual-Core Processor and I have spent many hours trying to get 7 to detect that there is two cores in this thing and that it needs to utilize them both. But I'm not really sure if there is a driver out there that I can use... The setup...
Drivers


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App