Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: HP 950 PSC - Cannot Print Photos!!!

06 Nov 2009   #1

Windows 7
 
 
HP 950 PSC - Cannot Print Photos!!!

I am so stressed out right now. I really hope someone can help me with this.

I cannot print photographs with my HP PSC 950 printer using Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit. Ironically I can using an old XP laptop so I know the printer works ok. I can however print text without problems.

All I get is a thick line at the top of paper and then the printer just spits the paper out.

I have tried updating the drivers which you can no longer download direct from HP – you have to use Windows Update and let Windows 7 do the work for you now. Windows assures me that the printer is fully compatible with Windows 7 and I can print a test page fine. Just not photographs.

I have tried removing old driver (maybe it was corrupted?) and reinstalling and same problem occurs.

Can anyone help? I have tried the web and cannot find a solution – no one seems to be having a similar problem that I can see.

I am depressed and sick to my stomach at the time of writing this. I thought Windows 7 was finally the OS for me. Then I run into this problem and all the frustrations of Windows Vista come crashing back!

Thanks,

Sparky

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Nov 2009   #2

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sparky1 View Post
I am so stressed out right now. I really hope someone can help me with this.

I cannot print photographs with my HP PSC 950 printer using Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit. Ironically I can using an old XP laptop so I know the printer works ok. I can however print text without problems.

All I get is a thick line at the top of paper and then the printer just spits the paper out.

I have tried updating the drivers which you can no longer download direct from HP you have to use Windows Update and let Windows 7 do the work for you now. Windows assures me that the printer is fully compatible with Windows 7 and I can print a test page fine. Just not photographs.

I have tried removing old driver (maybe it was corrupted?) and reinstalling and same problem occurs.

Can anyone help? I have tried the web and cannot find a solution no one seems to be having a similar problem that I can see.

I am depressed and sick to my stomach at the time of writing this. I thought Windows 7 was finally the OS for me. Then I run into this problem and all the frustrations of Windows Vista come crashing back!

Thanks,

Sparky
Hi Sparky, please don't stress out!
Welcome to windows 7 Forum, contrary to belief Windows 7 update does not need to update your printer driver, you can do this your self. We will show you how. First thing first:
  • Sparky, remove/disconnect your printer from your PC
  • Follow this link and I want you to download the Vista 32 bit driver software, put the file somewhere you know the location
  • Select your operating system HP PSC 950 All-in-One Printer - HP Customer Care (United States - English)&
  • Once you have finished the download we can install the driver.
  • Point your mouse to the file and right click the mouse, you will now see a drop down menu, go to about the middle and you will see run compatability mode, select the Vista 32 bit mode. AFter that look up and you will see "Run as Administrator" double click and begin the driver installation. After its finished reboot.
  • Attach your printer and Windows 7 should begin the installation.
Once its finished try printing a pic.

I hope this worked, if not we can try a couple of other methods.

Adrian
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2009   #3

Windows 7
 
 

Thanks Adrian. I am feeling a bit calmer now.

I have clicked the link your recommend but the driver for Vista 32 bit is 0 bytes and is a similar affair to the Windows 7 option - in that they want you to plug in the printer and then Windows will allow you to select the driver from a list or it updates automatically.

There is another Dianostic Tool download but I have tried that and it tells me everything is working fine.

I have managed to install the correct driver for the HP PSC 950 and it prints a test page fine.

The weird thing is: I can print photographs through Windows only when I select the 'plain paper' - lowest quality setting. However when I select any other paper quality the 'dots per inch' setting remains fixed at 300x300 and the printer will print a thin bar at the top of the paper and then spit the rest out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


07 Nov 2009   #4

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sparky1 View Post
Thanks Adrian. I am feeling a bit calmer now.

I have clicked the link your recommend but the driver for Vista 32 bit is 0 bytes and is a similar affair to the Windows 7 option - in that they want you to plug in the printer and then Windows will allow you to select the driver from a list or it updates automatically.

There is another Dianostic Tool download but I have tried that and it tells me everything is working fine.

I have managed to install the correct driver for the HP PSC 950 and it prints a test page fine.

The weird thing is: I can print photographs through Windows only when I select the 'plain paper' - lowest quality setting. However when I select any other paper quality the 'dots per inch' setting remains fixed at 300x300 and the printer will print a thin bar at the top of the paper and then spit the rest out.
Hello Sparky, are you attempting to print with HP_PHOTO_ESSENTIALS?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Nov 2009   #5

 
Xp mode

Sparky I suggest going back to the HP support link and download the xp 32 bit driver and then after the download disconnect your printer and find the xp driver and right click on it and change the compatability mode to xp, then come up the menu and click on RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR and reconnect the printer and see if windows completes the install.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Nov 2009   #6

Windows 7
 
 

Thanks for all your help Adrian. I have managed to finally print photo's now using Google's Picasa software. I have also been able to manually change the dpi setting in the advanced configuration menu which seems to work as sell.

Seems like a weird bug/glitch with either the HP drivers or Windows 7.

Thanks again!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Nov 2009   #7

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sparky1 View Post
Thanks for all your help Adrian. I have managed to finally print photo's now using Google's Picasa software. I have also been able to manually change the dpi setting in the advanced configuration menu which seems to work as sell.

Seems like a weird bug/glitch with either the HP drivers or Windows 7.

Thanks again!
Well done Sparky, congratulations.
Marines, SALUTE!


Attached Thumbnails
HP 950 PSC - Cannot Print Photos!!!-633502079247460928-squirrel-marines.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 HP 950 PSC - Cannot Print Photos!!!




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33