Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: changing out old ssd for new and bigger

27 Apr 2015   #11
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Okay ignatzatsonic and whs; so I and others might understand better could you give the plus and minus using a image or a clone?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Apr 2015   #12
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

A clone is a one step operation and in case of to and from SSDs, you don't have to worry about alignment. You do, however, have to fix the alignment when you clone from a HDD to a SSD.

If you use an image, you have 2 steps - the imaging and the restore. A good imaging program has the option of preserving the alignment in the case of SSD to SSD. But if the image comes from a HDD, you also have to fix the alignment or you have to restore the image(s) into predefined, aligned primary active partition(s). But there are plenty of programs that help to fix the alignment in 20/20 hindsight.

Either method is fine as long as you know what you are doing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2015   #13
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Thank you Wolfgang.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Apr 2015   #14
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
Okay ignatzatsonic and whs; so I and others might understand better could you give the plus and minus using a image or a clone?
For the simple purposes of moving an existing and healthy system from drive A to drive B, they both can work and both can fail. Cloning is simpler for that purpose when it works. If the cloning fails, try imaging.

For purposes other than moving a system to another drive (backup as normally understood), there isn't much comparison. Cloning has shortcomings as a backup plan when compared with imaging.

For a one-shot deal to move a system, cloning can be a reasonable choice. Regardless, I'd think any conscientious person want to become familiar with imaging for purposes unrelated to moving systems between drives. Cloning is pretty much a one-trick pony.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2015   #15
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
Thank you Wolfgang.
You are welcome Jack. I like the "One trick pony" of Ignatz, LOL.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2015   #16
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Thank you ignatzatsonic. I also like simple. I'm guessing because I'm simple.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2015   #17
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
A clone is a one step operation and in case of to and from SSDs, you don't have to worry about alignment. You do, however, have to fix the alignment when you clone from a HDD to a SSD...
Curious. I've never had to fix the alignment when cloning from an HDD to an SSD. Must be living right.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2015   #18
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
Okay ignatzatsonic and whs; so I and others might understand better could you give the plus and minus using a image or a clone?
For the simple purposes of moving an existing and healthy system from drive A to drive B, they both can work and both can fail. Cloning is simpler for that purpose when it works. If the cloning fails, try imaging.

For purposes other than moving a system to another drive (backup as normally understood), there isn't much comparison. Cloning has shortcomings as a backup plan when compared with imaging.

For a one-shot deal to move a system, cloning can be a reasonable choice. Regardless, I'd think any conscientious person want to become familiar with imaging for purposes unrelated to moving systems between drives. Cloning is pretty much a one-trick pony.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
Thank you Wolfgang.
You are welcome Jack. I like the "One trick pony" of Ignatz, LOL.
I also like it. It perfectly describes when to use cloning.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2015   #19
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

LF, that is unusual. Since a clone is a pure iron copy, it should not be aligned when coming from a HDD. Maybe there was a partition in front that gave the alignment.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2015   #20
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
LF, that is unusual. Since a clone is a pure iron copy, it should not be aligned when coming from a HDD. Maybe there was a partition in front that gave the alignment.
Good point. I do format the SSD first. Also, I use smart sector cloning (the default setting) in Macrium Reflect, which copies over only the sectors with data on them. That can be much faster than forensic cloning, which is an exact duplicate, including empty sectors.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 changing out old ssd for new and bigger




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Changing hdd to bigger. What should i know ?
Hiya guys ;) I'm thinking on replace my ( not so old ) hdd to bigger one. Now i've got 500 gig's but i'm thinking on 1Tb, even 1.5 Tb. As i've never use such a big hdd's before, is there is anything i should be worried about ? Are they reliable to use and not breaking down often ? If this...
Hardware & Devices
Time for a bigger ssd.
Well, it`s just about time for a bigger ssd, I`ve seen quite a few members mentioning Samsungs, so could I get a few opinions on this model ? Is the price ok ? Tiger seems to be high anymore. And are there newer models out ? Thanks everyone :) ...
Hardware & Devices
My .NET Programs Appear Bigger
Hi yesterday i did fix it just like this to see if there is a problem in my computer. Then today when i come back in my computer all programs made with VB or .NET appears bigger! I uninstalled .net and VB i did everything but nothing. Please Help. Thanks in advance for responding! This is an...
Graphic Cards
Google's getting bigger and bigger, SageTV acquired.
Google buys SageTV in move likely meant to beef up Google TV - latimes.com Google's getting bigger and bigger!
Chillout Room
C-Partition gets bigger and bigger
Seems to be normal, I was told. But as this happens anyway, i want to slow down the process as hard as possible. F.ex. by using ccleaner and transferring the temp-folder to another partition, etc. Yet there seem to be strange things happening. I just encoded a video to a non-C-location. during...
Performance & Maintenance
Shoulda went BIGGER!!!
Here's the deal, being the brainiack I am I installed Windows 7 on my wifes Compaq Desktop. The problem being that it only has a 20gb hdd. So I have to install a larger hdd (size does matter). I have the family pack Win 7 OS, 3 computers, how many times can I install on each computer? TIA,...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:50.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App