Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Which SSDs is the better, an External SSD or internal SSD?

02 May 2015   #31
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hadramawt View Post


Also, Not me who said that 'The 30GB SSD is large enough to accommodate Windows 8 or any Linux distro with room to spare'. However, He is Wsh in his/her tutorial I have posted its link in the very first post of mine.
Windows 8 will fit on 30 GB. Windows alone takes maybe 20 GB.

But if you have a significant number of applications installed and keep Window updated, you will run out of space quickly.

My original installation grew to above 30 GB within a year. If you want to stay within 30 GB, you would have to be very careful about what you install.

I have used only 38 GB for Windows after 5 years on Windows 7, with about 55 applications.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 May 2015   #32
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

eSata ports are on the PC and you connect the disk with an eSata enclosure. The cable looks like this:

Coboc Model SC-SATA3-36-ESC-BL - Newegg.com

You use bare bone disks in the enclosure because there are very few (expensive) external disks in a housing that come with an eSata connector. But you have to have an eSata port on your PC in the first place.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2015   #33
Hadramawt

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
eSata ports are on the PC and you connect the disk with an eSata enclosure. The cable looks like this:



You use bare bone disks in the enclosure because there are very few (expensive) external disks in a housing that come with an eSata connector. But you have to have an eSata port on your PC in the first place.


Thank you so much indeed, although I am still a little bit confused with the cables used to connect internal disks as external disks to a USB port of PC, and to connect external disks as internal disk to eSata port of PC. I think the faulty is not from my side. However, you only show me the images without getting a change to get one, and try it. Like telling a person how to drive a car, and he never ever sat in one. So, be a little bit patient with me.


So, could you please take some of your precious time out and go through my points below, and address these points for mine, and don't ignore them?

1- what is mentioned in my scree shot below is correct?




2- the usb3_external_sata_cable in the first image above is a different two-sided cable(two different connectors). One connector is eSata to be connected to the eSata of a PC, and the other one is USB to be connected to USB 3.0 interface port of a disk. However, the other Coboc Model SC-SATA3 below is a a same two-sided cable(two same connectors), both sides look eSata connectors.
Which SSDs is the better, an External SSD or internal SSD?-esata-connector.jpg

3- there is a difference in eSata connector side in both two-sided cables. The eSata connector of usb3_external_sata_cable looks different from the eSata connector of the SC-SATA3?



4-
Quote:
You use bare bone disks in the enclosure because there are very few (expensive) external disks in a housing that come with an eSata connector. But you have to have an eSata port on your PC in the first place.
You mean with 'bare bone disks' with ALL of those disks are installed internally(locally) into an eSata interface port inside a laptop? So, they don't have USB interface port, in order to let them be connected externally to a USB interface port of PC, then they needs to be inserted to a enclosure, from which we can get output of USB interface port which then can be connected to USB port of PC.

5- I really don't see any eSata port on the case of my laptop, such as USB3, USB2, and other connectors, such VGA, and HDMI, and so on.
So, I don't know if my existing internal Toshiba HDD drive is connected to an eSata interface port of my laptop or not. Yes. I was told that my HP Pavilion dv6-6093ex Entertainment Notebook PC support does NOT have eSATA/USB combination port.. Moreover, What I know is that an eSata port can be a port inside a PC, and not shown in the left/right side of the case of a PC like USB3/2. As a result, if I want to convert my existing internal Toshiba HDD drive as an external HDD to be connected to a USB 3.0/2.0 port, how could I do as long as my existing internal Toshiba HDD drive has only eSata interface port, or otherwise it cannot be installed inside my laptop via eSata port. how can I use my local internal HDD as an external Hard disk drive. I think all internal hard disks have only an eSata interface port, and not a USB 3.0 interface port. So, Which kind of cable would I need to attach my HDD to a USB3 port?

6- I have never ever saw a local(internal) HDD for a laptop, even the Internal Toshiba HDD for my laptop, I didn't see it. ALL disks I saw external Western Digital Hard Disk Drives(Portable Hard Drive), and all of them have USB Interface port.

7-
Quote:
I think you are still mixing things up. Any disk can be used as an external disk or internal disk - if the form factor fits (e.g. you cannot put a 3.5" disk into a laptop but into a desktop).




I don't know if such (External Portable) external Western Digital Hard Disk Drives(Portable Hard Drive) whose screen shots are above can be fitted into inside my laptop 2.5 inch hard drive bay or not. There is no dimensions of that external Western Digital Hard Disk Drives(Portable Hard Drive). If they could be fitted to it, then which kind of cable would I need to attach my HDD to a USB3 port?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 May 2015   #34
Hadramawt

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Your biggest issue by far is the reliability of your sources and the price in Yemen. That's far more important than any decision about brand or model.

ANY SSD that is not broken is clearly superior to any HDD. The disadvantages are price and capacity.

It's certainly possible that you would be disappointed by the performance of ANY SSD, particularly considering prices available in Yemen. They are clearly faster and the speed increase is noticeable in many operations, but some people are disappointed, saying "it's not as noticeable as I had been led to believe".

I certainly wouldn't own one if I had to pay Yemen prices.
Thanks a lot,
If we come to discuss the Yemen prices, could you please take some of your precious time out to open my links below, to see the prices and the models if they are same?

Firstly: I found that $348 is the price of
Kingston Digital SV300S3N7A/480G 480GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5-in Solid State. And the shipping fee is about $45.88 Standard Int'l Shipping. So, the total price is about [B]$393.88, which is much higher than the price of the same Kingston SSD in Yemeni merchant's store, which is with $350. This is silly, where did the Yemeni merchant purchase the Kingston SSD, so it is price is lower than eBay.com seller?

Secondly: Also, even I found no striking difference in the price of Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7KE512BW) Hard Drive ($359) No shipping to Yemen, and the price of Kingston Digital SV300S3N7A/480G 480GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5-in Solid State($348) + shipping fee $48.

Thus, no matter what SSD brand I purchase as the price of 'Samsung SSD' is not higher than Kingston. Why do all of you claim to say that Samsung 850 Pro is much better than Kingston, however, there is no difference in the price between them even in eBay.com? Then, I can get the Kingston SSD(480GB) from Yemen merchant with $350, and don't wait to move to another country since this might be taking a long time.

Thirdly: Why are all Kingston SSDs sized with '60GB', 120GB, 240GB, 480GB, 960GB.
However, all Samsung 850 Pro SSDs sized with, 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, 1024GB(1TB)?


Fourthly: If you see the links the secondly above, you'll see that there is no mention of internal in all 'Kingston Digital SV300S3N7A/480G 480GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5-in Solid State'. However, there is a mention of internal in the 'Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7KE512BW) Hard Drive'. So, can both of them be installed internally inside a laptop.???? If so, then I think no need to mention 'internal' word in the name of Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7KE512BW) Hard Drive', and miss it out in 'Kingston Digital SV300S3N7A/480G 480GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5-in Solid State'.

Finally: I found in this link $199.99 SAMSUNG 500GB SSD (+Bonus 128GB Flash Drive) & More Weekend Deals!‏ a great deal $199.99 SAMSUNG 850 Evo 500GB SSD (+Bonus 128GB Flash Drive). I wish that I could got that deal? Do think that it is reality?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2015   #35
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

For the record, there is no such thing as a Samsung Pro EVO. It's Samsung Pros and Samsung EVOs, two separate SSDs. Of the two, the Pros are better.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2015   #36
Hadramawt

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
For the record, there is no such thing as a Samsung Pro EVO. It's Samsung Pros and Samsung EVOs, two separate SSDs. Of the two, the Pros are better.

Thanks a lot,
Yes, I agree there is typo. The Samsung Pro, Evo are completely different model, and pro is the latest one.

However, could you please re-read my post posted to ignatzatsonic lately?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2015   #37
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

see comments in bold

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hadramawt View Post

Firstly: I found that $348 is the price of
Kingston Digital SV300S3N7A/480G 480GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5-in Solid State. And the shipping fee is about $45.88 Standard Int'l Shipping. So, the total price is about [B]$393.88, which is much higher than the price of the same Kingston SSD in Yemeni merchant's store, which is with $350. This is silly, where did the Yemeni merchant purchase the Kingston SSD, so it is price is lower than eBay.com seller?


How could I or anyone else possibly know where a Yemeni merchant purchased a Kingston SSD? He can price it any way he wants. Maybe he has a friend in Yemeni customs who steals for him?


Secondly: Also, even I found no striking difference in the price of Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7KE512BW) Hard Drive ($359) No shipping to Yemen, and the price of Kingston Digital SV300S3N7A/480G 480GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5-in Solid State($348) + shipping fee $48.

Thus, no matter what SSD brand I purchase as the price of 'Samsung SSD' is not higher than Kingston. Why do all of you claim to say that Samsung 850 Pro is much better than Kingston........

The Samsung is a newer generation. It would probably be faster, but you might not notice the speed difference in actual use.

Who says the Samsung 850 is "much better"? Faster in benchmarks, yes.

The speed differences between the Samsung and the Kingston are VERY small compared to the differences between any SSD and any HDD.

More reliable? Who knows?

If benchmark speed is your only criterion, you'd be a fool to buy the Kingston.

If you have other criteria (reliability, price, customer service, possibility of being stolen in customs, etc), maybe you would not be a fool to buy the Kingston.



Fourthly: If you see the links the secondly above, you'll see that there is no mention of internal in all 'Kingston Digital SV300S3N7A/480G 480GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5-in Solid State'. However, there is a mention of internal in the 'Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7KE512BW) Hard Drive'. So, can both of them be installed internally inside a laptop.????

Yes. They are both 2.5 inch internal drives.

Finally: I found in this link $199.99 SAMSUNG 500GB SSD (+Bonus 128GB Flash Drive) & More Weekend Deals!‏ a great deal $199.99 SAMSUNG 850 Evo 500GB SSD (+Bonus 128GB Flash Drive). I wish that I could got that deal? Do think that it is reality?

Yes, it is real and from a reliable dealer. Prices for 500 GB SSDs in the USA are trending lower as usual. That is 40 cents per GB. I've seen prices below 35 cents per GB.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2015   #38
Hadramawt

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
 
 

[QUOTE=ignatzatsonic;3058577]see comments in bold

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hadramawt View Post

Firstly: I found that $348 is the price of
Kingston Digital SV300S3N7A/480G 480GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5-in Solid State. And the shipping fee is about $45.88 Standard Int'l Shipping. So, the total price is about [B]$393.88, which is much higher than the price of the same Kingston SSD in Yemeni merchant's store, which is with $350. This is silly, where did the Yemeni merchant purchase the Kingston SSD, so it is price is lower than eBay.com seller?


How could I or anyone else possibly know where a Yemeni merchant purchased a Kingston SSD? He can price it any way he wants. Maybe he has a friend in Yemeni customs who steals for him?


Thanks a lot,
Then, you also got surprised by the price.

I don't know what you mean with 'benchmark speed'?

Thirdly: Why are all Kingston SSDs sized with '60GB', 120GB, 240GB, 480GB, 960GB.
However, all Samsung 850 Pro SSDs sized with, 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, 1024GB(1TB)?

Quote:
Yes, it is real and from a reliable dealer. Prices for 500 GB SSDs in the USA are trending lower as usual. That is 40 cents per GB. I've seen prices below 35 cents per GB.
Would you believe me if I say that I just chatted them on their online live chat about that deal. However, they told that Newegg doesn't ship to out the US at all.
That is great deal which I can save about $200 in addition to get a 128GB Flash Drive for free?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2015   #39
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

See comments in bold

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Hadramawt View Post

Then, you also got surprised by the price.

I'm surprised by Yemeni SSD prices in general, but that's all. Given that they are high, I'm not further surprised by the prices for any particular hard drive from any specific dealer.


I don't know what you mean with 'benchmark speed'?

Google for what that means. Below are some example benchmarks of my own SSDs. The Crucial is faster, but I can't tell the difference between it and the Intel in everyday usage.




That is great deal which I can save about $200 in addition to get a 128GB Flash Drive for free?

You could if you lived in the USA. Prices are higher in Europe and much higher in Yemen.
Benchmarks in this order: Crucial MX100 128 GB SSD followed by Intel 320 series 80 GB SSD. The Intel is about 4 years old. The Crucial is new.

It is the access time that makes most of the difference between SSDs and HDDs.


Attached Thumbnails
Which SSDs is the better, an External SSD or internal SSD?-my-crucial-mx100-benchmark-040315.jpg  
Attached Images
Which SSDs is the better, an External SSD or internal SSD?-ssd-benchmark-my-intel-320-series-80-gig-ssd-62011.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2015   #40
Hadramawt

Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post

I'm surprised by Yemeni SSD prices in general, but that's all. Given that they are high, I'm not further surprised by the prices for any particular hard drive from any specific dealer.[/B]
Thanks a lot, ignatzatsonic, Could you please be a little bit patient with me?

Firstly: but I think eBay sellers are in the USA, I found that the
Kingston Digital SV300S3N7A/480G 480GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5-in Solid State' is priced at eBay.com with that $348. And the shipping fee is about $45.88 Standard Int'l Shipping. So, the total price is about $393.88, which is much higher than the price of the same Kingston SSD in Yemeni merchant's store, which is with $350. Thus, the Yemeni SSD prices are much lower than eBay.com according to the price of Kingston in eBay.com and in Yemen?

Secondly: Could you please confirm for me if there are a lot of different Kingston SSD models, so the Kingston SSD in the Yemeni Merchant is priced much lower than eBay.com since the Kingston in eBay.com is much better than the Kingston SSD in the Yemeni merchant?. This is only the reason which can let me be satisfied why the price of the Kingston SSD eBay.com is much higher than Yemeni merchant
I really looked for Kingston SSD in both eBay.com, and Amazon.com. I didn't find any difference at all.
I found at eBay.com that Kingston Digital SV300S3N7A/480G 480GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5-in Solid State

I found at Amazon.com that Kingston Digital 480GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive with Adapter (SV300S3N7A/480G)

Also, I found Kingston SSD 480GB 480G V300 2.5" SATA 3 Solid State Drive SV300S37A/480G NEW at ebay.com with a very lower price $189, and $39.99 Standard Int'l Shipping, the total is $ 228.99. It is lower than that Kingston Digital SV300S3N7A/480G 480GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5-in Solid State with US $348.48, and $45.88 Standard Int'l Shipping, total is about $496 although they are same and in the same eBay.com




Thirdly:
As long as I need to try a SSD, and I don't find SSD brands I need, you think purchasing the Kingston SSD with the price 350 is fairly good, and I will not be regretted about it.
What let me hesitated to not go head to purchase the Kingston from Yemeni merchant is I really when look at Kingston Digital SV300S3N7A/480G 480GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5-in Solid State, I found it has a lot of accessories(adapter, enclosure, CD). Also, I don't find that it has eSata interface port.


Which SSDs is the better, an External SSD or internal SSD?-kingston.jpg

Even the accessories(adapter, enclosure, CD) of Kingston SSD models are different from model to another model, look at his one and the other one above.
Which SSDs is the better, an External SSD or internal SSD?-kingston1.jpg




However, the Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7KE512BW) Hard Drive, doesn't have any accessories(adapter, enclosure) , and it has eSata interface port.

Which SSDs is the better, an External SSD or internal SSD?-samsung.jpg





Fourthly: Why are all Kingston SSDs sized with '60GB', 120GB, 240GB, 480GB, 960GB, however, all other SSDs, such as Samsung 850 Pro SSDs sized with, 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, 1024GB(1TB)?


Fifthly:
However, the problem is that I don't find the Samsung SSD brands in Yemen, I only found Kingston SSDs in Yemen.
Also, the ebay.com sellers only ship to Yemen the Kingston SSD, which is priced much lower in Yemeni merchant(in Yemen with $350, however, in eBay.com ($348) + shipping fee $48 = $396). So, I will get it from Yemen even if I don't like it, and avoiding putting my money in the risk of getting the same SSD available in Yemen since if the eBay sellers sent my item to Yemen, it might be stolen in Yemeni customs.

I need Samsung 850 Evo, or Pro. If I found Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7KE512BW) Hard Drive with the price ($359) or even ($399) in Yemen, I would have purchased it directly.
Also, if I had found that ebay sellers could ship Samsung 850 evo, or pro, or even Intel to Yemen, then I could try to put my money in the risk of probability of stealing my item in the Yemeni customs since I will eventually get the SSD I like, and is not available in Yemen.

I think it is a problem to purchase an item you don't like, but what would you do if no others? Like if you want to marry a woman, and there are only one woman, then either you shouldn't marry her, or marry her.








Quote:

You could if you lived in the USA. Prices are higher in Europe and much higher in Yemen.
Yes, that is absolutely right. Even if I lived in the USA, I could have purchased any brands with my money as long as I have money. However, in Yemen, I must purchase the brands available in the local market, or otherwise I will stay without any SSD or any other products I need. I have told other friends residing in the Saudi Arabia to look for those SSD I need, but most of them said that they were busy to look for such Samsung 850 Pro SSD. One friend of mine residing in the Saudi Arabia told me that brand Samsung 850 Pro SSD is not available even in the Saudi Arabia. This is strange.


Quote:
Benchmarks in this order: Crucial MX100 128 GB SSD followed by Intel 320 series 80 GB SSD. The Intel is about 4 years old. The Crucial is new.
I noticed that you don't like the Kingston, and you will use Crucial MX100 128 GB SSD, and Intel 320 series 80 GB SSD.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Which SSDs is the better, an External SSD or internal SSD?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
External HDD to Internal HDD
hey guys I have 2 external HDD full of my video work files, I probably know the answer but I would like to know for sure, that if I take them out of there casings and put them into my PC, would my files be affected?
Hardware & Devices
Using a external hdd insted of internal ssd
Hello, I have a dell 910 notebook and the ssd has failed. I would like to know if I can load windows on a external hdd and run the notebook from that Thank you in advance
General Discussion
backup internal/external
hi how can i make a backup/ system image for my internal and external hard drives at the same time? thanks
Backup and Restore
Internal or external TV Turner - is one better than the other?
Is there a difference in the performance, options or anything between internal or external TV tuners? I just need to be able to record two things at once, other feature I'm unsure of. External would be much better and easier on me. I assume both type come with remote controls, DVR software, etc.? ...
Media Center
External to internal HDD
Greetings all, Recently my 500GB external HDD stopped working. the power supply in the case stopped working.I took it out of the case and I've now got it hooked up via SATA as an internal HDD. Working fine but I keep getting SMART errors and warnings that the HDD is about to collapse. At the...
Hardware & Devices
External vs Internal HDD?
I was wondering, because i believe that ALL external hard drives have an internal in them with a board/adapter to use usb. But i am wondering, is the hard drives in them are exactly the same as a internal without the adapter? Meaning, if i shell out the external and i get the hard drive in it, is...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:14.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App