Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: External HDD - K:/ is not accessible

08 Jun 2015   #11
juliasdream

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
@mvthakar, you seem to be awake early morning. I go to sleep rather went to sleep early morning 0300hrs.

@juliasdream

Try Partition Recovery Wizard in MiniTools Partition Wizard.

Launch PW and post a screenshot.

Then on the left pane click on Partition Recovery Wizard > Next > Choose your 1TB Toshiba disk to recover > Next > Full Disk > Next > Quick scan >Next.

After QuicK Scan completes you will get a Window showing the found partitions. Post the screenshot of it.

You may then click on the Cancel tab to close the Window and then close PW. ( You may run Quick Scan again if needed.)

Wait for further instructions after I see the screenshot.
Hi.
I tried several times to run minitools Partition Wizard but each time it failed to properly get started.
It always hangs in the same place and then the program becomes unresponsive
I tried closing all non essential programs but the same thing happens each time




Attached Thumbnails
External HDD - K:/ is not accessible-minitools3.jpg   External HDD - K:/ is not accessible-minitools2.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Jun 2015   #12
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

OK, you seem to have a tough problem on hand. It does not appear to be a partition related problem.PW does show the only partition in tact. Most probably the MFT is corrupt.

Open Command prompt Start > All programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

Type
CHKDSK K: /f /v /r /x Press enter. Note: Replace K: with the actual drive letter of the external drive

Allow check disk to complete.

If this does not repair/resolve the problem, you have to try Test Disk - Repair MFT Advanced NTFS Boot and MFT Repair - CGSecurity
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2015   #13
juliasdream

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
OK, you seem to have a tough problem on hand. It does not appear to be a partition related problem.PW does show the only partition in tact. Most probably the MFT is corrupt.

Open Command prompt Start > All programs > Accessories > Command Prompt

Type
CHKDSK K: /f /v /r /x Press enter. Note: Replace K: with the actual drive letter of the external drive

Allow check disk to complete.

If this does not repair/resolve the problem, you have to try Test Disk - Repair MFT Advanced NTFS Boot and MFT Repair - CGSecurity
It seems I'm not in luck. Could there be another solution?


Attached Images
External HDD - K:/ is not accessible-cmd.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Jun 2015   #14
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

Hmmm... As I suspected you have a corrupt Master File Table.( I knew it even as I read the error message in your first post but did not want to sound an alarm without confirming it. It is a fact of life that many times our perceptions can go wrong.)

Now data recovery is the only way to go.

But before that try MFT Repair with TestDisk.

Read the posts from here Disk structure is corrupt and unreadable on how to perform it.

If TestDisk cannot repair MFT you have no choice but to use a commercial software to retrieve the data and copy it elsewhere.

Please read through the above thread further, which actually has become a reference point with contributions by the master craftsman Anshad Edavana. ( Though he shows up every now and then, we miss his active involvement due to other exigencies of life.)

I would recommend Getdataback Simple. Run the trial version and check whether it shows all your data. https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

Well that is the easy way out but you need to buy a license.

If you do not want to pay but try to do with some freeware, I do have a plan which has not been tried out anywhere anytime. You will be the first one to try it under instructions. May succeed (90%) May not succeed (10%). Are you game for it? ( It does require some learning and willingness to try out something new.) But I can assure you that will in no way corrupt your data and if the experiment fails you can still retrieve the data using the commercial software.

But first try TestDisk and GetDataback Simple and then let me know.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2015   #15
juliasdream

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
Hmmm... As I suspected you have a corrupt Master File Table.( I knew it even as I read the error message in your first post but did not want to sound an alarm without confirming it. It is a fact of life that many times our perceptions can go wrong.)

Now data recovery is the only way to go.

But before that try MFT Repair with TestDisk.

Read the posts from here Disk structure is corrupt and unreadable on how to perform it.

If TestDisk cannot repair MFT you have no choice but to use a commercial software to retrieve the data and copy it elsewhere.

Please read through the above thread further, which actually has become a reference point with contributions by the master craftsman Anshad Edavana. ( Though he shows up every now and then, we miss his active involvement due to other exigencies of life.)

I would recommend Getdataback Simple. Run the trial version and check whether it shows all your data. https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

Well that is the easy way out but you need to buy a license.

If you do not want to pay but try to do with some freeware, I do have a plan which has not been tried out anywhere anytime. You will be the first one to try it under instructions. May succeed (90%) May not succeed (10%). Are you game for it? ( It does require some learning and willingness to try out something new.) But I can assure you that will in no way corrupt your data and if the experiment fails you can still retrieve the data using the commercial software.

But first try TestDisk and GetDataback Simple and then let me know.
Hi. I don't know if I had to wait longer but after 30 mins nothing more happened.
If this is not working then I would like to try your other solution so yes, I am game to try your freeware
Thank you


Attached Images
External HDD - K:/ is not accessible-cmd2.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2015   #16
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

Please run TestDisk as an administrator and check. ( Right click and run as administrator) It should show your System drive and external drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2015   #17
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

Please post the following screenshots
Screen 1 : Select No log - Enter

Screen 2 : Select your External Drive > Proceed Enter

Screen 3: Select Intel Enter

screen 4: Advanced File System Utilities - Enter

Sample screenshots taken in my system


External HDD - K:/ is not accessible-a08-06-2015-22-06-50.jpg

External HDD - K:/ is not accessible-b08-06-2015-22-09-43.jpg

External HDD - K:/ is not accessible-c08-06-2015-22-11-48.jpg

External HDD - K:/ is not accessible-d08-06-2015-22-13-40.jpg

External HDD - K:/ is not accessible-e08-06-2015-22-16-28.jpg

Now follow the process from post 27 in the thread Disk structure is corrupt and unreadable

I am not going to repeat. Please read all the preceding and succeeding posts in that thread diligently and do accordingly.

TestDisk is pretty dangerous to handle without understanding what you are doing.Only take care you do not give a write command unless warranted. Take your time to read through and understand. If in doubt stop and ask here with the screenshot. You can Quit TestDisk any time and rerun it . .


My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2015   #18
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

I just wanted to post this again to make sure it is not overlooked.
From jumanji post #17

Quote:
TestDisk is pretty dangerous to handle without understanding what you are doing.Only take care you do not give a write command unless warranted. Take your time to read through and understand. If in doubt stop and ask here with the screenshot. You can Quit TestDisk any time and rerun it . .
I will go back to watching.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2015   #19
juliasdream

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
 
 

Hi. All went as you said till I got to the last screen
There appear to be 4 partitions so I'm not sure where to go from there

In case its of any importance the drive (M) I am using as external came from my other computer and still contains Windows 7 OS


Attached Images
External HDD - K:/ is not accessible-td1.png External HDD - K:/ is not accessible-td2.png External HDD - K:/ is not accessible-td3.png External HDD - K:/ is not accessible-td4.png External HDD - K:/ is not accessible-td5.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jun 2015   #20
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

In the second screenshot posted by you, select the appropriate disk your 1TB disk
Disk /dev/sdd - 1000GB / 931GiB and proceed

( If you look at the screenshots I had provided in post#17, I had selected Disk 320GB not the Drive I 320GB which is the partition. Select the correct Disk not the drive. )

( I overslept today and got up late. Consequently everything is delayed.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 External HDD - K:/ is not accessible




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
External drives not accessible
Hi guys, firstly I'm new to this forum. I currently have an issue on my notebook. When I plug in any external hard drive it appears in disk management as well as "my computer" ie.: However when I try to access the hard drive I get this message:
Hardware & Devices
External hard drive is not accessible
Hi, I have external usb hard drive (SATA) 1Tb. It was working flawlessly before. But now I can't access it. However, my laptop recognizes it and can be seen in 'My Computer, Device Manager and Disk management'. What should I do? Any help would be appreciated.
Hardware & Devices
External Hardisk error 'e:\ is not accessible'
Hi I have a WD hard disk, recently I was in a busy cyber cafe to print something, the man who was printing pulled the hardisk out without safely removing, now windows asks me to format it and it has become RAW. :cry::cry: There is also an error saying that it is inaccessible every time I open it...
Hardware & Devices
external HDD ( detected and seen but not accessible)
hi tech gurus, need help for this one... my external hdd is detected by My Computer and the dive I: is seen... but, there is no capacity seen also.. when i tried to click the drive, it stated "needs reformat." is there a way to recover this problem..? picture is attached... ...
Hardware & Devices
Partition of External HD is not accessible
Hello Sorry for my bad english. I have 3,5 HDD Box on USB with my SATA disk Samsung 750GB. I have two partitions there F: G: F: is 50GB Aciv partition of Other XP System (not important) G: is important data partition with around of 680GB
Hardware & Devices
Partition on external hdd not accessible in windows 7
I have an external hard drive that has two partitions. I had the Windows 7 upgrade installation file from Digital River on the first partition. I ran the install from there and everything installed fine within XP. Then I went back to the external hard drive to get some other programs to install and...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App