Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Leaving laptop charger plugged in

04 Jul 2015   #11
Computer0304

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit/Windows 8 64-bit/Win7 Pro64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
I'm not sure why you would leave any charger plugged in ?
Especially if your not there :/

If you read the instructions they will state plug the device to the charger and then plug in into a outlet.
It's because I use my laptop almost like a desktop. I barely use it outside my home so usually the only time I move it is to print something since the printer is in another room. Also, I thought you would have to plug into a outlet first in case there's a electrical arc or a spark. Is it dangerous to leave the outlet end plugged in and the other end just sitting on my desk?
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
I think all computers need to have clean stable power and I use an appropriate sized UPS. With that in place you can also pop the battery back out and just run of the ac adapter plugged in and the battery out. Just know that batteries will slowly discharge on their own.
Hey there, what does a UPS have to do with a laptop charger left plugged in?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Jul 2015   #12
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

UPS is a battery backup and surge protection system which at minimum you would need a surge protector on any electronic device

The wall outlet must be in a painful to get to place
I would suggest a surge protector with a switch on it so you can use it to turn it on and off if that's the case
Amazon.com: 7 OUTLET SURGE PROTECTOR W/INDIVIDUAL SWITCHES: Electronics

Or just a regular one with 1 main on off switch
Amazon.com: Surge Protectors: Electronics
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2015   #13
Computer0304

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit/Windows 8 64-bit/Win7 Pro64-bit
 
 

Well, I do have a power tap or surge protector, but the router is also plugged in there. Is there any articles that it is bad to leave it plugged in?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Jul 2015   #14
sml156

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit 7601
 
 

Not sure if this will help you but when I got my first and only laptop about 3 years ago I left it charging all the time and as time passed after a few month's I got concerned that maybe the battery would loose the ability to fully charge since I remember reading somewhere that most batteries have a finite number of charges ( for some reason I don't know why but I think it's around 1000 ) and like you my laptop is more of a desktop than a laptop so I removed the battery and wrapped it in a plastic bag and stuck it in my sock drawer and take it out whenever I think it's been around 3 month's and charge it again, Last time I charged it it charged to 96 or 98 percent. Is my method right - wrong -or the worst thing to do to a battery I don't know but whatever comments people have about it I won't be changing now after 3 years

EDIT: Yes I leave my power adapter plugged in 24-7 I had to replace it once because the tip got broken somehow, cost me $40 Canadian to replace with a original manufacturer adapter ( $500 64 bit Acer laptop )
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2015   #15
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

sml156,
In my opinion, the charge in Lithium ion batteries should keep moving (e.g. slight charge followed by a slight discharge)*. The chips that control the charging should take care of this minor charge/discharge cycle. Putting batteries away for months at a time is not best, but probably did no noticeable harm.

The battery pack should be serving as part of the laptops surge protection. If you operate your laptop without the battery installed, then you probably have less surge protection.


*some people disagree. That is why there are smartphone ROMs that eliminate this charge/discharge cycle.


Computer0304,
I see hundreds of laptop chargers that stay plugged in 24/7 at my office. I've not heard of any issues due to that. I also see lots of laptops that stay plugged into their charges 24/7. These laptops do not sleep and those batteries last longer than "normal".


All,
Although the topic is not about leaving laptops on their chargers most of the time, I'll go ahead and state that this is one area where users should consider doing what the manufacturer of the laptop suggests. The manufacturer should know how the charging chips are setup. If the manufacturer took the cheap route, then they should tell you to not leave the batteries on the charger.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2015   #16
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Computer0304 View Post
Well, I do have a power tap or surge protector, but the router is also plugged in there. Is there any articles that it is bad to leave it plugged in?
That's where the separate switches come in handy
Leave the router on
Amazon.com: 7 OUTLET SURGE PROTECTOR W/INDIVIDUAL SWITCHES: Electronics

I agree contact the manufacture for the best way to handle it
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2015   #17
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

To be clear:
I do not think that I have ever seen a manufacturer speak to the question of leaving a charger plugged in. They probably have very little (if any) design input into the charger. They just create a spec (voltage in/out, compliance current, ripple...) and start accepting bids for chargers. Batteries are much different. The charging chip set inside of the battery pack should get along with the charging chip set inside of the laptop. There are industry standards for how these chip sets should work, but designers tweak features faster than the industry specs change.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2015   #18
Computer0304

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit/Windows 8 64-bit/Win7 Pro64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
sml156,
In my opinion, the charge in Lithium ion batteries should keep moving (e.g. slight charge followed by a slight discharge)*. The chips that control the charging should take care of this minor charge/discharge cycle. Putting batteries away for months at a time is not best, but probably did no noticeable harm.

The battery pack should be serving as part of the laptops surge protection. If you operate your laptop without the battery installed, then you probably have less surge protection.


*some people disagree. That is why there are smartphone ROMs that eliminate this charge/discharge cycle.


Computer0304,
I see hundreds of laptop chargers that stay plugged in 24/7 at my office. I've not heard of any issues due to that. I also see lots of laptops that stay plugged into their charges 24/7. These laptops do not sleep and those batteries last longer than "normal".


All,
Although the topic is not about leaving laptops on their chargers most of the time, I'll go ahead and state that this is one area where users should consider doing what the manufacturer of the laptop suggests. The manufacturer should know how the charging chips are setup. If the manufacturer took the cheap route, then they should tell you to not leave the batteries on the charger.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sml156 View Post
Not sure if this will help you but when I got my first and only laptop about 3 years ago I left it charging all the time and as time passed after a few month's I got concerned that maybe the battery would loose the ability to fully charge since I remember reading somewhere that most batteries have a finite number of charges ( for some reason I don't know why but I think it's around 1000 ) and like you my laptop is more of a desktop than a laptop so I removed the battery and wrapped it in a plastic bag and stuck it in my sock drawer and take it out whenever I think it's been around 3 month's and charge it again, Last time I charged it it charged to 96 or 98 percent. Is my method right - wrong -or the worst thing to do to a battery I don't know but whatever comments people have about it I won't be changing now after 3 years

EDIT: Yes I leave my power adapter plugged in 24-7 I had to replace it once because the tip got broken somehow, cost me $40 Canadian to replace with a original manufacturer adapter ( $500 64 bit Acer laptop )
You guys know I mean leaving just the outlet end plugged in, not leaving the laptop plugged in, right?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2015   #19
Computer0304

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit/Windows 8 64-bit/Win7 Pro64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Computer0304 View Post
Well, I do have a power tap or surge protector, but the router is also plugged in there. Is there any articles that it is bad to leave it plugged in?
That's where the separate switches come in handy
Leave the router on
Amazon.com: 7 OUTLET SURGE PROTECTOR W/INDIVIDUAL SWITCHES: Electronics

I agree contact the manufacture for the best way to handle it
Ok, I'll try first checking the manual and then contact manufacturer.

Edit: Also, my laptop is an ultrabook-like laptop.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2015   #20
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Computer0304 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
sml156,
In my opinion, the charge in Lithium ion batteries should keep moving (e.g. slight charge followed by a slight discharge)*. The chips that control the charging should take care of this minor charge/discharge cycle. Putting batteries away for months at a time is not best, but probably did no noticeable harm.

The battery pack should be serving as part of the laptops surge protection. If you operate your laptop without the battery installed, then you probably have less surge protection.


*some people disagree. That is why there are smartphone ROMs that eliminate this charge/discharge cycle.


Computer0304,
I see hundreds of laptop chargers that stay plugged in 24/7 at my office. I've not heard of any issues due to that. I also see lots of laptops that stay plugged into their charges 24/7. These laptops do not sleep and those batteries last longer than "normal".


All,
Although the topic is not about leaving laptops on their chargers most of the time, I'll go ahead and state that this is one area where users should consider doing what the manufacturer of the laptop suggests. The manufacturer should know how the charging chips are setup. If the manufacturer took the cheap route, then they should tell you to not leave the batteries on the charger.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sml156 View Post
Not sure if this will help you but when I got my first and only laptop about 3 years ago I left it charging all the time and as time passed after a few month's I got concerned that maybe the battery would loose the ability to fully charge since I remember reading somewhere that most batteries have a finite number of charges ( for some reason I don't know why but I think it's around 1000 ) and like you my laptop is more of a desktop than a laptop so I removed the battery and wrapped it in a plastic bag and stuck it in my sock drawer and take it out whenever I think it's been around 3 month's and charge it again, Last time I charged it it charged to 96 or 98 percent. Is my method right - wrong -or the worst thing to do to a battery I don't know but whatever comments people have about it I won't be changing now after 3 years

EDIT: Yes I leave my power adapter plugged in 24-7 I had to replace it once because the tip got broken somehow, cost me $40 Canadian to replace with a original manufacturer adapter ( $500 64 bit Acer laptop )
You guys know I mean leaving just the outlet end plugged in, not leaving the laptop plugged in, right?
Yep, I know :-)
But always charging a laptop did come up and it did not seem too far off topic to discuss it. Looking back, it seems that not many of my sentences where strictly on topic. So, here are a few more sentences on topic: It might be "greener" to unplug the charger (no matter how little electricity it uses when the laptop is not connected). However, you might negate all of that "greeness" if the charger fails due to handling. I'm not saying that you do this - but some people wrap the power cords around the charger is a manor that breaks the cord near the charger. Making a charger last longer might be the "greenest" thing to do.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Leaving laptop charger plugged in




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
My laptop charger keeps shutting off?
So I just bought a used HP dv7 laptop. It came with a Dell charger and was able to charge fine. I use my laptop as my home computer so its always plugged in. Since I always keep it plugged in, I removed the battery so over time it wouldnt kill the battery life. So everything runs good, but I also...
Hardware & Devices
Laptop charger
I have a laptop in which the charger 'pin' (to plug into laptop) seems bad. It's a bit loose when I wiggle it and when in the laptop, the cord has to be positioned just right for it to charge (it seems to lean the pin to where it can charge). I'm not sure if it's the charger or the port. The...
General Discussion
When putting in laptop charger, laptop goes up to 80 degrees celcius
Why when i put on my laptop charger laptop goes up to 80 degrees celicus It gets really hot but when i take it off it goes down
General Discussion
Power Plan switching while playing game when charger is plugged in/out
Whenever i am playing any certain PC game ,my power plan is set on "High Performance".While playing,if i plug out my charger,the power plan shifts to either "Balanced" or to "Power Saver".This sometimes cause a crash in games if i switch from Game to windows.Moreover,when the power plan is...
General Discussion
Best portable Laptop charger out there for under 70.00
Well herro there :3, Anyways YO 8D Im looking about for a portable charger for my TabletPC (Fujitsu Lifebook T4215) and yeah i know it's old but It works pretty well i will say abeit one big problem it has It has HORRIFIC Battery life as in i can charge it to the full 4 bars of it's battery...
Hardware & Devices
Should I plugged in charger to laptop when I using it.
Hi to all seven forum, I came here for a simple question today, the question is, is it better for laptop battery that when I using laptop it is plugged in all time to ac adopter although it is fully charged. one thing I know that when plugged in charger, the battery not in use, I test that remove...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:21.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App