Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Is this PC Upgrade kit worth the price?

07 Jul 2015   #1
JustCall

Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
 
 
Is this PC Upgrade kit worth the price?

Hello,
I've always wanted to upgrade my PC, and found an upgrade kit for €219 (~$239), which includes:

- Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
- AMD FX-4300 (with cooler)
- 4 GB DDR3
- All the wires needed

Is it worth it?

Thanks, JustCall.



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 Jul 2015   #2
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Your current Intel E8500 CPU scores 2313 on the Passmark benchmark:

PassMark CPU Benchmarks - High Mid Range CPUs

The AMD FX-4300 scores 4649

PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End

That would probably be a noticeable improvement.

BUT----

Do you know for a fact that the new motherboard will mount properly in your HP case and that the existing HP power supply provides enough power and has the appropriate connectors for that motherboard?

Have you at least looked at other upgrade packages, possibly with Intel CPUs?

Are you restricted to a $240 budget?

Are you unwilling to buy CPU, RAM, and motherboard separately, rather than as a "package"?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2015   #3
JustCall

Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Do you know for a fact that the new motherboard will mount properly in your HP case and that the existing HP power supply provides enough power and has the appropriate connectors for that motherboard?

Have you at least looked at other upgrade packages, possibly with Intel CPUs?

Are you restricted to a $240 budget?

Are you unwilling to buy CPU, RAM, and motherboard separately, rather than as a "package"?
Power supply probably wouldn't hold it, and it doesnt fit in the case, but they are cheaper parts, and I can probably buy them from my next income boost.
Yes, looked at ones with Intel CPU's but I've heard that AMD has the best "bang for the buck".
I'd rather buy them as a package, because everything is already mounted on the motherboard, and I dont have much experience with hardware.

Thanks for your reply.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Jul 2015   #4
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JustCall View Post
Yes, looked at ones with Intel CPU's but I've heard that AMD has the best "bang for the buck".
I'd rather buy them as a package, because everything is already mounted on the motherboard, and I dont have much experience with hardware.
Again: are you restricted to a $240 budget? If no, what is your top limit for these parts:

PSU, possibly
Case, possibly
Motherboard
CPU
RAM

AMD offering the best bang for the buck is less true than it was 10 years ago. They are competitive, but only at the lowest budgets.

Are you restricted to that one vendor you linked?

Regarding your hardware experience:

Installing a CPU and RAM into a motherboard is easily enough learned. Your bigger problem is evaluating all of your parts to ensure they are compatible with each other and getting them installed.

Your HP case might be proprietary (non-standard in some way) that would make it incompatible with your chosen motherboard or new PSU. The existing PSU might be incompatible with the motherboard as well.

There's too many unknowns here to just give you a green light on some random motherboard/CPU/RAM package. That package you picked might fit and be compatible with your existing case and power supply, but that's strictly a guess without knowing more.

You could pound on Google to see if you can find any success stories about upgrading using that case and power supply.

Additionally: how do you propose to reinstall and activate Windows? You're not likely to have success by simply connecting your existing hard drives to a new motherboard/CPU/RAM package. If your current Windows installation came with the HP, then that license won't be valid on a new motherboard package.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2015   #5
JustCall

Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Again: are you restricted to a $240 budget? If no, what is your top limit for these parts:

PSU, possibly
Case, possibly
Motherboard
CPU
RAM

AMD offering the best bang for the buck is less true than it was 10 years ago. They are competitive, but only at the lowest budgets.

Are you restricted to that one vendor you linked?

Regarding your hardware experience:

Installing a CPU and RAM into a motherboard is easily enough learned. Your bigger problem is evaluating all of your parts to ensure they are compatible with each other and getting them installed.

Your HP case might be proprietary (non-standard in some way) that would make it incompatible with your chosen motherboard or new PSU. The existing PSU might be incompatible with the motherboard as well.

There's too many unknowns here to just give you a green light on some random motherboard/CPU/RAM package. That package you picked might fit and be compatible with your existing case and power supply, but that's strictly a guess without knowing more.

You could pound on Google to see if you can find any success stories about upgrading using that case and power supply.

Additionally: how do you propose to reinstall and activate Windows? You're not likely to have success by simply connecting your existing hard drives to a new motherboard/CPU/RAM package. If your current Windows installation came with the HP, then that license won't be valid on a new motherboard package.
For the motherboard, CPU, and RAM, I'd like to keep it under $240, because my budget including the case and PSU is $300.

No, I'm not restricted to the vendor, but I'd like to purchase from Dutch sites, I have listed some below.

bol.com | de winkel van ons allemaal | Welkom
Conrad - Uw online shop voor elektronica en techniek
NoRRoD.nl - Home - De winkel voor al uw computers, laptops, tablets en componenten.

Thanks for all, I'll search on Google tomorrow because I'm not home this evening.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2015   #6
JustCall

Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
 
 

Couldn't find any experiences with installing this motherboard into the dc7900 case.
They recommend to use the Thermaltake Berlin 630 and the Thermaltake Versa G2.
Little over my budget, maybe I'll buy a cheaper one.

Last question:
Is this kit worth the money, or is it better to buy them seperate?

Thanks for your help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2015   #7
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JustCall View Post
Is this kit worth the money, or is it better to buy them seperate?
Those 3 parts (that motherboard, that CPU, plus 4 GB of RAM) can be had in the USA for about $177 from a reliable dealer. That's 160 Euros.

Which means virtually nothing to you.

You'd have to do your own shopping from your own sources to find out if you can buy those same parts separately for less than the advertised price of 219 Euros.

I have no idea if your vendor is reliable or if you can find better deals elsewhere as I don't know anything about European vendors or what they can supply.

Nor do I have any idea if that motherboard is in fact compatible with your existing case and power supply.

Gigabyte is a good motherboard brand.

If you decide you need a new power supply, I'd be quite careful about what I purchased. There are many inferior brands out there, but a half dozen or so that are OK. The power supply is a very important piece, so I'd be willing to over-spend a bit on that piece if necessary.

If you have say $90 to spend on power supply and case combined, you're better off spending most of that on the power supply, rather than on the case.

You aren't likely to need a powerful power supply, but you need to avoid most brands. Look for Superflower, Antec, Corsair, XFX, EVGA, or Seasonic. They are going to be decent to excellent quality.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2015   #8
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

dc 7900 sff psu upgrade - HP Support Forum - 4125530

Look at the above link. It is a post on the HP support forums regarding your particular PC model. The topic is "dc 7900 sff psu upgrade".

Here is a quote from that link, regarding power supply upgrades:


"The power supplies and connectors to the motherboard are proprietary and there aren't any power supplies that HP offers with more wattage."

If that is true, you apparently CANNOT change motherboards because the power supply connectors are proprietary and are NOT compatible with a replacement motherboard. Nor can HP provide a more powerful power supply.

Based on that alone, I'd plan on buying a new case, power supply, motherboard, CPU, and RAM--effectively an entirely new PC.

You can try to confirm this incompatibility if you want to by posting directly on the HP forums, but it doesn't look good to me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2015   #9
JustCall

Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
 
 

Thanks for all the tips, where did you see the parts for $180? I can give it a try, and purchase from the USA if the shipping costs aren't too high.
And $90 for the case and PSU is pretty cheap too.

The vendor where I saw the upgrade kit is reliable, I have purchased multiple things on their site.

The dc7900 case doesn't look too good either. I'll probably buy a new one as you suggested.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2015   #10
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

I priced the parts at Newegg.com, but I don't think they ship to Europe and that would be separate parts, not pre-assembled.

try Amazon.co.uk: Low Prices in Electronics, Books, Sports Equipment & more and Overclockers UK - Computer components, hardware & gaming PC if they can ship to you from UK.

You're better off saving a bit more money until you can get to maybe 400 or 500 Euros if possible.

You will need to buy Windows also. The Windows on your existing HP can't be transferred, assuming it came with the HP.

About all you would keep from the HP would be the hard drive, DVD drive, monitor, keyboard, and mouse. You would need case, power supply, RAM, motherboard, CPU, and Windows. I'd guess it's very very difficult to buy those 6 parts for 300 Euros without being dissatisfied. So, I'd simply delay and put a little more money in the pot every month.

If you do that, you may be able to get an Intel i3 CPU, which might be a better all-around idea.

Avoid the cheesy power supplies. You might have to pay 40 Euros on up for a tolerable one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Is this PC Upgrade kit worth the price?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Is this worth the price
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gateway-SX2185-UB37-Fusion-Dual-Core-E1-2500-1-4GHz-4GB-500GB-DVD-RW-W8-Computer-/360866155445
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Is this GPU upgrade worth it?
Hi Is it worth upgrading from a Asus ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5 to ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PhysX CUDA ? Upgrade reason is to get max out of BF4 :) ? Other spec is Win 7 64 bit home Intel Core i7 Quad Processor i7-950
Graphic Cards
Worth the upgrade?
Hi everyone i have a Fractal Define R4 Black Pearl case is it worth swapping the 2 fans out with noctua NF-A14 ULN my case is on my desk and i like it quiet the motor noise of the silent series fans is very noticeable on the fans at 5v and 7v and 12v isn't quiet but pushes air and i'm choosing...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Is this laptop worth the price tag?
Or Is there a better laptop you would recommend for a similar price tag? Is this laptop worth it??? --->http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-g6-2215sa-laptop-purple-18093443-pdt.html#longDesc
Chillout Room
Is an upgrade worth it?
I am thinking about upgrading to an Asus P8p67 core i7 2600 (circa 400) is it really worth it? I am not interested in overclocking and am wondering if I would be better off improving what I have, ie new Graphic card HD 6870, doubling my Ram and an SSD for my laptop. All opinions welcome :D
Hardware & Devices
Is 1080p worth the extra price for a 32'' Toshiba TV ?
Hey Well I'm looking into getting a Toshiba 32'' HDTV for my apartment. However I do have a bit of a dilemma. The TV that I'm looking in getting is being sold at two different stores, the one here :...
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App