Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Procedures for moving MB from one PC to another

04 Aug 2015   #1
trinaz

Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1
 
 
Procedures for moving MB from one PC to another

Before I uopgrade to Win 10.....

I have 2 Win 7 Pro installations. On The 32bit machine...I want to move the MD from the 64bit machine to the 32bit machine.

Have read many post but I seem to get more confused the more I read.. Will I have to call Microsoft after move motherboard in box A to box B and replacing in the A box with a new MB/CPU combo ?

If not...what's the best way to proceed if I can avoid calling MS ( although I did previously with one of this systems when reinstalling) ? Both are licensed registered (with MS) copies of Windows Pro with serial number pockets in-tact.

Some posts say Acronis...some say Paragon(?) free product...some say (sysprep ?) I have Acronis 2013 and create 'clones' fairly regularly stored on external USB drive(s)

We have the licensed installation DVD for both OS's on the two machines

Thanks...TiminAz


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Aug 2015   #2
Ranger4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit sp1
 
 

Could you supply some more info. Are you planning just to move the MB from A to B & still use the 32 bit drive in B. If you want to have B with a 64 bit drive you will have to reinstall Windows in the old 32 bit drive.

Or, you could move the MB from A to B as planned & change the A hard drive to B as well. That should be fairly easy. That will leave you with a 32 bit hard drive that is of no use, unless you can use it for something else.

Do you want to do a fresh install of Windows 10 or just do an upgrade. If you want to do a W 10 upgrade on A after the hardware change, you will have to have a copy of Windows 7 on the hard drive & this could be a problem if you want the 64 bit version of W 10 & you have moved that hard drive to B.

The problem seems that you might end up with 2 installations of the same Windows 7 Pro 64 which is a breach of the license.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2015   #3
trinaz

Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ranger4 View Post
Could you supply some more info. Are you planning just to move the MB from A to B & still use the 32 bit drive in B. If you want to have B with a 64 bit drive you will have to reinstall Windows in the old 32 bit drive.

Or, you could move the MB from A to B as planned & change the A hard drive to B as well. That should be fairly easy. That will leave you with a 32 bit hard drive that is of no use, unless you can use it for something else.

Do you want to do a fresh install of Windows 10 or just do an upgrade. If you want to do a W 10 upgrade on A after the hardware change, you will have to have a copy of Windows 7 on the hard drive & this could be a problem if you want the 64 bit version of W 10 & you have moved that hard drive to B.

The problem seems that you might end up with 2 installations of the same Windows 7 Pro 64 which is a breach of the license.
The only equipment/hardware that will be moved from Box A that will move to Box B is the motherboard.Box A will get a new motherboard....and current A motherboard will replace the MB in box B. All other cards/drives etc will remain in respective machines.

Initially that will be the only change in either boxes prior to upgrading to Win 10 on both machines. After the MB change in each box we will then proceed with the upgrade to Win 10 in both A & B.

Box A will retain the 64bit installation - box be will retain the 32 bit installation...only changes are the motherboards per above.

Please point out any possible issues with the above...

Thanks as always...TRinAz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Nov 2015   #4
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Unless you have full Retail Windows 7, the motherboard is tied to the Windows 7 that was install on the system while with that motherboard was installed.

Another way to say it.
If you move the motherboard from system (A) to system (B) the installation of Windows 7 on system (B) will be considered counterfeit. The installation of Windows 7 will not match the now installed motherboard.
Microsoft considers replacing the motherboard as replacing the computer system.

A OEM/SLP, OEM Builders Windows 7 is only proper on the first computer (motherboard) it was installed on first.

A Full Retail Windows 7 can be moved from one computer to another as long as it is only installed on one system at a time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2015   #5
trinaz

Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1
 
 

Yes...both systems were clean installs of Windows 7 via purchased and licensed Windows 7 Pro installation dvd's which we have

Am I correct then in not anticipating any issues in (1)moving the mother board from A to B and then upgrading to 10 with the original installation on the same HDD in B.....and (2) inserting another brand new motherboard into A with the original Win 7 on the SSD and upgrading to 10 ?

Thanks TRinAz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2015   #6
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

If the operating system that was first installed on a motherboard stays with the motherboard I don't think you will have a authorization problem.

I have never tried it but I'm thinking if the motherboard, operating system and COA key stay together as a unit things should work.

What I would try is:
1. Install motherboard (A) in Case (B).
2. Do a Clean install of the same Windows 7 again using the same COA key that was use with that motherboard the first time it was used.

My understanding is Microsoft looks at the motherboard, operating system and COA key.
That is why they need to be kept together. Other hardware you change they don't seem to care.

I know very little about W-10 but there is our sister forum you can join also.
Many of the same members you find on this forum and the same owner.

Windows 10 Forums
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2015   #7
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Hi,
Yep swapping cases is nothing as long as the os install goes with it,
Heck a upgraded a cpu and didn't have any issues so far,
Modifing old desktop machine in new case

New mother board must use a new 7 disk unless it's retail and not oem which you can use this to figure that out,
Windows Genuine and Activation Issue Posting Instructions
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Nov 2015   #8
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by trinaz View Post
Yes...both systems were clean installs of Windows 7 via purchased and licensed Windows 7 Pro installation dvd's which we have

Am I correct then in not anticipating any issues in (1)moving the mother board from A to B and then upgrading to 10 with the original installation on the same HDD in B.....and (2) inserting another brand new motherboard into A with the original Win 7 on the SSD and upgrading to 10 ?

Thanks TRinAz
(1) If you are saying you are moving the MB from A to B and upgrading to W10 with the HDD that you also moved from A to B it should work. If you do not move the HDD your drivers will be incorrect and it won't boot.

(2) When you install the new MB in A, you also need a Clean Install of Win7 on A because the drivers that were there originally are not going to work since it is a new MB. After Win 7 is installed you can then upgrade to Win10. The free Win10 are upgrades which means you need to have an OS installed. You can't just install Win10.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2015   #9
trinaz

Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post

(1) If you are saying you are moving the MB from A to B and upgrading to W10 with the HDD that you also moved from A to B it should work. If you do not move the HDD your drivers will be incorrect and it won't boot.

(2) When you install the new MB in A, you also need a Clean Install of Win7 on A because the drivers that were there originally are not going to work since it is a new MB. After Win 7 is installed you can then upgrade to Win10. The free Win10 are upgrades which means you need to have an OS installed. You can't just install Win10.
OK...in (2) above...if I do a new clean install of Win7 with the new motherboard...will that not cause me to loose all the info/programs/files/data etc that are on A now. Will I then not have a clean install of Win 7 Pro 64bit on the ssd but have nothing at all of the existing programs/files/documents, etc. that are present now on A ?

There must be a way of adding a motherboard to (A) without loosing the entire existing Win 7 Pro 64bit systems as it exists now in (A). What would happen if my current mother board in (A) would fail tonight...would all my programs/data/files etc be lost and unrecoverable from the current ssd ?

Thanks....Tim
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Nov 2015   #10
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Quote:
What would happen if my current mother board in (A) would fail tonight...would all my programs/data/files etc be lost and unrecoverable from the current ssd ?
This can happen any time.
That is why one should have Backup and more Backups.
Back up everything you want to save to a external drive.

When you move your motherboard to the different case with different hardware you will need to
do a clean install of the Windows 7 and it's proper COA key. When you Clean Install Windows 7 Windows 7 will pick up the needed drivers for it's new home. Once your happy with the new installed Windows and it's activated properly then you move what ever you want from the backup.

Remember that the motherboard, Windows 7 and the proper COA key move as the threesome.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Procedures for moving MB from one PC to another




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Moving files to external, formatting then moving back.
Hi everyone. I just bought a new SSD. I plan to whipe my old drive and put the OS onto the SSD. On my current drive I quite a few games. The question I have is about backing up games/moving the files. I have steam, origin and battlenet. I tried to use steam back up before, it stopped working...
General Discussion
Win7 Backup Procedures?
I'm trying to use the Win7 Backup Program and have a couple of questions: I did a backup of my C-drive to my external harddrive and it backup up ok. But, it did not put the back in a Folder on the E-drive, just put the backup file on the drive under the name of the C-drive. Question, I...
Backup and Restore
Moving 7 to 8
Folks: My original PC was equipped with Vista-32, and upgraded it to Seven-32. Now I am thinking of moving to Eight-32/64 onto a new PC but utilizing the cheaper Eight upgrade. Can it be done? The steps I think I need to perform are as follows: Eight-32 Run the sysprep utility.
Installation & Setup
Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit
I'm looking to buy a PC that comes with Windows 7 Pro 32-bit pre-installed. I want to wipe that and do a fresh install with 64-bit. First, will the license work with both? Second, how would I go about getting the 64-bit version?
Installation & Setup
Procedures for adding new MB/CPU to Win XP Pro
Getting ready to install Win 7 Pro on my XP installation machine. Put in new Motherboard/CPU/Memory but my XP Pro installation will not boot ? Same Sata hard drive being used with unchanged XP installation. Have done many motherboard/cpu upgrades in past without issues. I'm wondering if the...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App