Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Fried battery

10 Sep 2015   #11
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yomama365 View Post
Would it be safe to continue making my usb fan but cut and solder and insulate the connectors for extra safety. Would the usb port still be able to drive the usb fan after that. Things all work fine, but what kind of minor damage could there be that arnt effecting me
Those PC fans are meant to work with 12 Volts. USB ports provide 5 Volts, so it won't turn as fast as it should. Then there is the current to consider. You may want to look at the fan to see if it has a label saying how much current it draws in Amps or milliAmps. You don't want to go over 500 milliAmps when drawing from a USB port or you'll damage it.

My advice: If you want a USB powered fan, buy one specifically designed for the purpose.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
10 Sep 2015   #12
yomama365

Windows 7 pro x64 (or win 10 pro)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mellon Head View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yomama365 View Post
Would it be safe to continue making my usb fan but cut and solder and insulate the connectors for extra safety. Would the usb port still be able to drive the usb fan after that. Things all work fine, but what kind of minor damage could there be that arnt effecting me
Those PC fans are meant to work with 12 Volts. USB ports provide 5 Volts, so it won't turn as fast as it should. Then there is the current to consider. You may want to look at the fan to see if it has a label saying how much current it draws in Amps or milliAmps. You don't want to go over 500 milliAmps when drawing from a USB port or you'll damage it.

My advice: If you want a USB powered fan, buy one specifically designed for the purpose.
Its only 200mA
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Sep 2015   #13
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

I would suggest stop playing USB port games with that fan. It could cost you a motherboard.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Sep 2015   #14
yomama365

Windows 7 pro x64 (or win 10 pro)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
I would suggest stop playing USB port games with that fan. It could cost you a motherboard.
Is 200mA too much?. And if i safely solder the connectors, then its safe isnt it? Im not gonna do a half job next time. Im just glad it didnt cost me this time
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Sep 2015   #15
yomama365

Windows 7 pro x64 (or win 10 pro)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
There are battery charge/discharge circuits that limit the current that can flow each way. Every reputable battery manufacturer uses a charge/discharge chip set that protects against short circuits. Your battery is fine.
Ok well battery check said the battery is ok. But last time i ran off batteries it worked fine then suddenly jumped from 45% to 7%. But note that the computer was on sleep for a while just before that. Any idea, i hope its not my worst nightmare. This has happend yesterday once too. But afterwards i charged it again and it discharged as normal with no jumping. Is this to do with sleep mode
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Sep 2015   #16
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yomama365 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
There are battery charge/discharge circuits that limit the current that can flow each way. Every reputable battery manufacturer uses a charge/discharge chip set that protects against short circuits. Your battery is fine.
Ok well battery check said the battery is ok. But last time i ran off batteries it worked fine then suddenly jumped from 45% to 7%. But note that the computer was on sleep for a while just before that. Any idea, i hope its not my worst nightmare
Large jumps like that can indicate that one or more cells has gone bad. It might be coincidental (i.e. the cells just happened to fail at this time). Or maybe the surge in current pushed the weak cells over the edge. The current surge should have stayed well below any level that could damage the batteries. That is what good short circuit protection chips do: they limit current to prevent damage. Poor protection circuits might not kick in soon enough.


You said that it was an old fan. The voltage rating should be written on the fan. If it is rated for 200ma @ 12 volt, it will probably draw more current @ 5 volts.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Sep 2015   #17
yomama365

Windows 7 pro x64 (or win 10 pro)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by yomama365 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
There are battery charge/discharge circuits that limit the current that can flow each way. Every reputable battery manufacturer uses a charge/discharge chip set that protects against short circuits. Your battery is fine.
Ok well battery check said the battery is ok. But last time i ran off batteries it worked fine then suddenly jumped from 45% to 7%. But note that the computer was on sleep for a while just before that. Any idea, i hope its not my worst nightmare
Large jumps like that can indicate that one or more cells has gone bad. It might be coincidental (i.e. the cells just happened to fail at this time). Or maybe the surge in current pushed the weak cells over the edge. The current surge should have stayed well below any level that could damage the batteries. That is what good short circuit protection chips do: they limit current to prevent damage. Poor protection circuits might not kick in soon enough.


You said that it was an old fan. The voltage rating should be written on the fan. If it is rated for 200ma @ 12 volt, it will probably draw more current @ 5 volts.
I still dont get how most of the time it discharges fully fine. And this battery is less than a year old. Would the hp batter calibration possibly caused this since i ran it after the fire
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Sep 2015   #18
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

If the battery discharges fine most of the time, then the cells are probably fine.

I don't use any 3rd party apps for battery management...
...so I'm not sure what problems can happen when you use them.

Maybe other HP users can help you with that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Sep 2015   #19
yomama365

Windows 7 pro x64 (or win 10 pro)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
If the battery discharges fine most of the time, then the cells are probably fine.

I don't use any 3rd party apps for battery management...
...so I'm not sure what problems can happen when you use them.

Maybe other HP users can help you with that.
1 last thing unrelated. My power port on the laptop is slightly loose. If i wiggle the charger plug slightly while in the laptop port it will have some play and move up on am angle slightly but trying to do it down or side to side doesnt work, it stays firm, only happens pushing up. Will this ever cause an issue
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Sep 2015   #20
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

I do not know how HP mounts their power connector on their motherboard. I have seen laptops where the power connector was intentionally allowed to flex with respect to the motherboard and case.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Fried battery




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
fried MB
If I replace my MB, then will I be able to use the same HD and OS? Or will it be void and I have to pay for another OS?
General Discussion
Is it fried yet?
Hello SevenForums. I have this GPU, VTX Radeon HD4830 512MB GDDR3 PCIe 2.0 card (I know, somewhat outdated), but it has given me almost 4 years of great graphics (I bought it at CompUSA, today TigerDirect in 2010). But right now I'm using the onboard graphics, because a couple of weeks ago, the...
Graphic Cards
Have I fried something and is it possible to fix?
Ok, complete nubness. Moved house, set up my PC in a drunken state and... I plugged my monitor into the FR socket on a Logitech X-530 and vice versa. I know the main fuse blew for the 5.1 (I at least now get a token light (I'm alive!) on the system itself since i replaced it) but for the life...
Sound & Audio
So I've Fried my SATA HDD's _
What the title says. Upon installing a new PSU I think static fried my hard drives (2 x 500gb). I've accepted that. The problem is - is it possible to recover data from the hard drives? If its any help, neither are detected by the BIOS whereas an older one is and there appears to be no whirring...
Hardware & Devices
SSD fried?
Hi folks, I think I already know the answer to my question, but thought I'd ask just in case! Windows was fine last night. Didn't install anything new or any updates. This evening it boots up fine, I goto make dinner and I come back to the boot screen announcing that I need to load the OS. I...
Hardware & Devices
Fried my MBR
Hey there, I know exactly what I did wrong here, so maybe this'll be a slightly easier problem to fix. I got the bright idea of installing a flavour of Ubuntu on an SDHC card, thinking that I can have my netbook either boot from the hard drive or boot from the SDHC slot. Thinking that I...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:56.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App