Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: SSD Crashed After Power Outage - Need Help Installing New One Please

27 Dec 2015   #1
dazzlenet

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
SSD Crashed After Power Outage - Need Help Installing New One Please

The batteries had just died on my APS a couple of days before the power went out and my SSD crashed. It is now months later & I just got a replacement from Samsung (after getting it tested locally to insure it had died). Have been using my laptop meanwhile. I wish I had known the SSD would crash if the power went off. I wouldn't have used it until I got my new batteries installed.

Anyway, it is a Samsung 850 EVO 120GB that I had only installed Windows 7 operating system on and had the rest of my files, etc. on a 1 TB hard drive. Now, I can't remember how to go about installing Windows on the new SSD. My computer will not boot to DIOS, so I can make sure I have it set to run from DVD first. Do I need to disconnect the 1 TB hard drive & do I need to format it before installing Windows on the SSD?

Any help is greatly appreciated!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Dec 2015   #2
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

If your computer won't boot into BIOS, you have a more serious problem than a messed up SSD.

Is there anything on the 1TB drive that you want to save? If so, don't format it. Install Windows to the SSD with the 1 TB drive unhooked. Once Windows is booting, you can hook up the 2 TB drive and save any files you want off of it.

Did you put programs onto the 1 TB drive? Did you move your user folders there? If not, there's probably no need to format it. If you did, you might want to consider reformatting, or deleting some of the program files folders and starting over.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Dec 2015   #3
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

As Mellonhead said, if you can't boot to BIOS you have a problem with your PC besides the SSD. Just having a power outage should not make your SSD fail. When you say "It won't boot into Bios", do you mean you have forgotten what key to press or do you mean that there is a problem with your PC and you can not get into Bios?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Dec 2015   #4
dazzlenet

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mellon Head View Post
If your computer won't boot into BIOS, you have a more serious problem than a messed up SSD.

Is there anything on the 1TB drive that you want to save? If so, don't format it. Install Windows to the SSD with the 1 TB drive unhooked. Once Windows is booting, you can hook up the 2 TB drive and save any files you want off of it.

Did you put programs onto the 1 TB drive? Did you move your user folders there? If not, there's probably no need to format it. If you did, you might want to consider reformatting, or deleting some of the program files folders and starting over.
After removing the hard drive and trying to boot with only the SSD installed, I see that you are right - I do have a more serious problem. Where & how do I start troubleshooting? Everything was sailing right along until the power went off for about 1 minute.

My computer is a custom built gaming computer, although I don't do any gaming. A friend of my son's needed money and I bought it for a song. I do remember that to boot into BIOS all I had to do was press the DEL key.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2015   #5
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dazzlenet View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mellon Head View Post
If your computer won't boot into BIOS, you have a more serious problem than a messed up SSD.

Is there anything on the 1TB drive that you want to save? If so, don't format it. Install Windows to the SSD with the 1 TB drive unhooked. Once Windows is booting, you can hook up the 2 TB drive and save any files you want off of it.

Did you put programs onto the 1 TB drive? Did you move your user folders there? If not, there's probably no need to format it. If you did, you might want to consider reformatting, or deleting some of the program files folders and starting over.
After removing the hard drive and trying to boot with only the SSD installed, I see that you are right - I do have a more serious problem. Where & how do I start troubleshooting? Everything was sailing right along until the power went off for about 1 minute.

My computer is a custom built gaming computer, although I don't do any gaming. A friend of my son's needed money and I bought it for a song. I do remember that to boot into BIOS all I had to do was press the DEL key.
When you boot the PC continually press the DEL key. This will ensure that you press it at the right time. Don't just hit it once. That should take you to BIOS. If it doesn't tell us what is happening. What are you seeing as you try to go to BIOS?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2015   #6
dazzlenet

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Thanks for the info. Sorry I didn't note that I know to continually press the DEL key. I believe that if someone can point me in the right direction, or at least a starting point (in troubleshooting) I will no problem with it. I am usually the person that fixes my friend's computers, but this is the first time I've not ever been able to boot to BIOS on any PC or laptop.

This may be helpful info. The computer emits one beep when it comes on. I know that this means something, as I've dealt with one beep, two beeps, etc. in the past. I just don't remember exactly what the beep means.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2015   #7
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Try to boot and get into the BIOS and set your boot order for CD/DVD drive first, SSD second. Let us know if you are successful. -- Does your SSD show in the BIOS?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2015   #8
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

Well, one beep is good. That usually means it's at least starting the boot sequence.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Dec 2015   #9
dazzlenet

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mellon Head View Post
Well, one beep is good. That usually means it's at least starting the boot sequence.
Thank you, that is a (one) positive so far.

Now, how do I start troubleshooting when I can't boot to BIOS? I normally use a wireless keyboard & mouse but switched to USB connected. The computer is recognizing them b/c the Mem Lock & Caps Lock lights come on & the mouse illuminates. I even tried different USB ports on the back & no lights came on then.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Dec 2015   #10
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dazzlenet View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mellon Head View Post
Well, one beep is good. That usually means it's at least starting the boot sequence.
Thank you, that is a (one) positive so far.

Now, how do I start troubleshooting when I can't boot to BIOS? I normally use a wireless keyboard & mouse but switched to USB connected. The computer is recognizing them b/c the Mem Lock & Caps Lock lights come on & the mouse illuminates. I even tried different USB ports on the back & no lights came on then.
When you plug in your USB Keyboard, you have to be sure it is plugged into a motherboard USB and not a USB card you might have installed. If you have any ports on the front of your PC, use one of them. You can not boot into BIOS from a USB Card or a wireless Keyboard.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 SSD Crashed After Power Outage - Need Help Installing New One Please




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
SSD Not Recognized After Power Outage
I always use a battery backup. The battery in my CyberPower 1200AVR died & before a new one arrived we had a power outage. Now my PC won't recognize my SSD which has my Windows 7 operating system on it. I need help desperately. THANKS!
Hardware & Devices
BSOD following power outage
Hello, I have been trying to sort out my computer for about a week now. My husband turned on my computer a few hours prior to the arrival of Hurricane Sandy and forgot to shut it down. We lost power and it was not shut down properly. I get a BSOD when Windows loads and gets to the login...
BSOD Help and Support
power outage = not genuine
This has been going of for a while. Apart from being close to the most expensive electricity in the world, our area also has extremely unreliable power. 2 out of 3 times when the power goes out for 1 - 2 seconds the computers will reboot. When they come back up I get the black screen and the...
Windows Updates & Activation
Wont install OS after power outage.
Hello I had a power outage a few days ago and went to turn on my pc again and it is telling me to install a OS cause now there is no OS so i tryed to format the hard drive and install a fresh copy of windows 7 64 bit but partition any of the 3 wont install on it and it tells me its the wrong format...
Hardware & Devices
No LAN Connection after power outage
I think the solution to my problem ended up being a short, but I do not know. This situation occurred on a Monday afternoon. Tuesday evening, the computer died. I removed the power cable and inserted it the next morning, attempted to turn it on and it did boot up. Wednesday night, installed an...
Network & Sharing
Power Outage During Win 7 Upgrade
Hi everyone, I was installing the Win 7 Home Premium 32 Bit upgrade today when the power went out during the expanding files stage of the installation. Turning the computer on now, it recognised the install was not complete, but threw up an error message saying the rollback could not be completed....
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App