Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Anyway to install a Printer Without a Printer Cable

08 Jan 2016   #1
boweasel

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 
Anyway to install a Printer Without a Printer Cable

We were originally using this printer (an HP 4500 G510a-f) with a wired connection to a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit desktop and it worked perfectly. After we upgraded to Windows 10 we eventually noticed that the scanner was not working as well as before - there was no longer an icon on the desktop that would easily let us scan. The scanner problem was the final straw that made us go back to Windows 7. Unfortunately, we'd lingered past the 30 day mark so we had to reinstall Windows 7 Home Premium. Whether this matters or not, we had only a 32 bit Windows 7 HomeP disk, but the install and the product code validation went fine.

Now we want to reinstall the printer software. For some inane reason, our printer doesn't display the full model name anywhere that I can see, but we used HP's detector and were informed that it's an HP 4500 G510a-f. I didn't see any specific designation on the software page for 32 bit vs 64 bit Home Premium, so we downloaded the full install package and began the install.

It stops me every time on the page where it wants me to connect the printer cable to the PC. I've now used 4 different printer cables and tried each of them with different USB ports, but not a single one EVER lights up the word 'Next'. I've tried skipping that step and then troubleshooting the 'installed' printer (it has a yellow triangle on it). Troubleshooting tells me that the problem is a lack of a driver, and then it prompts me to 'Apply this fix'. It never finds a driver.

Is there any other method to connect this printer to the computer? We do have a router if that means anything - I'd seen other places where it is mentioned that I can connect a printer via ethernet cable.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Jan 2016   #2
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Hello mate I can find this for the driver HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support and I am wondering if the printer is wifi capable??

Now having said that there have been so many people who have gone to 10 come back and ended up with all sorts of issues. Personally I think it is because one clean installs 7 over the upgrade or whatever it is expected to go no problems and I am of the opinion that 10 leaves remnants behind that cause issues.
Both times I have tried 10 I have wiped the drive before doing a clean install and in my mind the only way to rid the drive of 10, and I have no such problems at all.

I stand to be corrected on the 10 remnants statement of course and probably will be.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2016   #3
joedaman633

Windows 10 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by boweasel View Post
We were originally using this printer (an HP 4500 G510a-f) with a wired connection to a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit desktop and it worked perfectly. After we upgraded to Windows 10 we eventually noticed that the scanner was not working as well as before - there was no longer an icon on the desktop that would easily let us scan. The scanner problem was the final straw that made us go back to Windows 7. Unfortunately, we'd lingered past the 30 day mark so we had to reinstall Windows 7 Home Premium. Whether this matters or not, we had only a 32 bit Windows 7 HomeP disk, but the install and the product code validation went fine.

Now we want to reinstall the printer software. For some inane reason, our printer doesn't display the full model name anywhere that I can see, but we used HP's detector and were informed that it's an HP 4500 G510a-f. I didn't see any specific designation on the software page for 32 bit vs 64 bit Home Premium, so we downloaded the full install package and began the install.

It stops me every time on the page where it wants me to connect the printer cable to the PC. I've now used 4 different printer cables and tried each of them with different USB ports, but not a single one EVER lights up the word 'Next'. I've tried skipping that step and then troubleshooting the 'installed' printer (it has a yellow triangle on it). Troubleshooting tells me that the problem is a lack of a driver, and then it prompts me to 'Apply this fix'. It never finds a driver.

Is there any other method to connect this printer to the computer? We do have a router if that means anything - I'd seen other places where it is mentioned that I can connect a printer via ethernet cable.
Try turning the printer on and off again whilst it's plugged in, during the installation, might be enough to light up the "next" button.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Jan 2016   #4
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Then again, there might not be any Windows 10 drivers/software for your scanner, let us know how it goes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2016   #5
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Quote:
Then again, there might not be any Windows 10 drivers/software for your scanner
Good point did occur to me but unless I got it wrong it worked in 10 yet not when the OP came back to 7 where it had been working before. Now that smacks of 10 "interference"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2016   #6
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

I just gotta ask, Why did you update, ( I`m not gonna say upgrade ) it to 10 ???
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2016   #7
boweasel

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

I'm answering these in the order in which they were posted...
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by harrymallen View Post
If you are able to take your computer through RD. Then Download the software from hp.com in to your office computer and save it on the desktop. Then tried to insall the software and u will get the connecting option then where u can select install the software without connecting the printer and let me know if u have any problem.
  • I don't know what RD is
  • As I said in my post I did download the full installation software from HP. That is what I am running when I get the screen that wants me to connect the printer to the computer. Once I connect it, nothing happens. A button on that page is supposed to go from 'grayed-out' to clickable when the printer is connected, but it never happens, despite using 4 different printer cables.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2016   #8
boweasel

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICIT2LOL View Post
Hello mate I can find this for the driver HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support and I am wondering if the printer is wifi capable??
The printer has wireless capability, however it is not being used - the Lenovo tower that is now running Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit does not have a built-in wireless adapter so the printer has always been used with a printer cable USB connection. However we do have a Windows 7 laptop and, ideally we'd like to have that laptop use the printer wirelessly.

The link you provided is the same webpage that I went to download the software - I chose the HP Officejet Full Feature Software and Driver. That's the software I was running when I get the fateful message to connect the cable.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICIT2LOL View Post
Now having said that there have been so many people who have gone to 10 come back and ended up with all sorts of issues. Personally I think it is because one clean installs 7 over the upgrade or whatever it is expected to go no problems and I am of the opinion that 10 leaves remnants behind that cause issues.
Both times I have tried 10 I have wiped the drive before doing a clean install and in my mind the only way to rid the drive of 10, and I have no such problems at all.

I stand to be corrected on the 10 remnants statement of course and probably will be.
Well, I didn't wipe the drive completely, but I did delete the partition where Windows 10 was stored, then format that partition before installing W7. And I actually did that twice because the first time I used a 64 bit Windows 7 Professional CD. The product key was rejected so I had to re-delete and re-reformat before using the Windows Home Premium 32 bit disk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2016   #9
Baddog22556

Windows 7
 
 

When doing major upgrades, or minor ones for that fact, it is major to do a full system image backup
first. I tried W10 3 times but kept going back to restore W7 image and had no problems at all.
In all my years I still can not seem to emphasize enough the importance of a full clone or image
backup prior doing anything or at least weekly just in case.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2016   #10
boweasel

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by joedaman633 View Post
Try turning the printer on and off again whilst it's plugged in, during the installation, might be enough to light up the "next" button.
I'd left the printer/PC alone and connected overnight, and when I checked it today there was a diagnostic message from HP that took me through the automated step of uninstalling the printer, followed by running Windows Updates. Yesterday there was only one optional update available but today there's 22 important ones. Go figure! Anyway it's now downloading and (hopefully) installing those updates. We'll see where we go from there....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Anyway to install a Printer Without a Printer Cable




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
USB printer cable not recongized
Hello, PLZ urgently , I want to install a canon printer lbp2900 on a labtop with Windows 7 ultimate x64 When I plug it, I receive a message like USB device not recognize. I did try the USB port with a USB memory stick and falsh memory , and the USB port is functioning This printer had...
Hardware & Devices
Re-install OKI printer as an ethernet connected printer
I recently bought an OKI C511 printer and installed it with a USB connection to my Win7 64-bit PC. Two other XP computers share it through the network but, obviously, the Win7 one has to be on to do that. With hindsight, maybe I should have connected it via Ethernet to my router. How much hassle...
Hardware & Devices
Connect printer via crossover cable
I need to connect a printer via crossover cable to a Win7/64 laptop. The printer has a USB port, but it is defective. I created a xover cable (and tested it so I know it's good). How do I set up this printer (HP Deskjet 6940) using the xover cable connected to the ethernet port on the laptop? I...
Hardware & Devices
Unable to install printer drivers, uninstall old printer, update Windo
My Mom has an HP laptop. She recently purchased a new HP printer and I have been trying for the last 4 days to get it to install/connect. I've been in touch with HP but the links they provide aren't resolving the issues. First, using the CD that came with the printer: hangs up at around 85-90%....
Hardware & Devices
cant install printer driver when sharing HP printer
Hi, I have just installed W7 32 bit on a desktop PC which has a HP deskjet F2180 attached to it via USB. I downloaded the W7 32 bit full feature driver and installed it. I have also enabled the printer to be shared on the network. Now I have also just installed W732 bit on a Laptop. Both...
Hardware & Devices
Installing printer via Ethernet Cable
Silly question maybe but is there anyway to use an ethernet cable to directly connect my printer to my computer or is there no such thing? I have an older printer which has no USB connection. My new computer also does not have the old style printer port which is required for this printer. My...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App