Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: USB Power Surge/Device shocked me on touch

10 Feb 2016   #11
bitplayer

Windows 7 Home X64
 
 

Lets say I have a problem with my ground. Is this an issue with the wall socket or my power cord?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
10 Feb 2016   #12
oscer1

win 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bitplayer View Post
Lets say I have a problem with my ground. Is this an issue with the wall socket or my power cord?
Can not say what one would be the cause would need to test them both
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2016   #13
bitplayer

Windows 7 Home X64
 
 

Right, but Im saying it would be one of them right? So if it is a grounding issue then couldnt I just switch to another outlet with another cord?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Feb 2016   #14
oscer1

win 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bitplayer View Post
Right, but Im saying it would be one of them right? So if it is a grounding issue then couldnt I just switch to another outlet with another cord?
Yes. That's why I said earlier to try another power source.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2016   #15
bitplayer

Windows 7 Home X64
 
 

Does an outlet that is about 10' away in the same room a good one to test?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2016   #16
oscer1

win 7 64 bit
 
 

Possibly can't hurt to try they might be on the same circuit though. Just trying to rule out a grounding problem might not be the ground causing the problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2016   #17
bitplayer

Windows 7 Home X64
 
 

Lets say its not the ground. How else could we fix this?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Feb 2016   #18
Ranger4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit sp1
 
 

bitplayer, I gather from what you have said that you were playing on your computer & got up to adjust the Air Conditioner, is this correct & when you returned you got a shock from your 360 controller, is this also correct.

The 360 controller runs off the USB circuit of a computer & the maximum voltage is about 5 volts, which is not enough to give you any sort of shock.

I think the shock you experienced was in fact static electricity travelling from you to the 360 controller & that has blown a circuit in the controller. Carpets, certain types of clothing & vinyl chair coverings can generate static electricity.

The "USB Power Surge Error" you received is usually caused by too much power being drawn by a USB device or devices & not by a mains power surge, which I think you may have incorrectly diagnosed.
Are you using an external USB hub & if so how many devices are plugged into it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Feb 2016   #19
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

It could be you gathered static electricity from something you or your apparel touched.

Some people are more susceptible than others to static electricity.

Static electricity can destroy electronic devices of all kinds.
Static electricity can reach voltage of 25,000 volts.

Their are thousands of websites on static electricity if one care to look. Here is one.

The Shocking Truth Behind Static Electricity
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Feb 2016   #20
bitplayer

Windows 7 Home X64
 
 

You've got it all correct.

No, Im not using an externally powered hub. I have my keyboard and mouse plugged into the back of the motherboard and my controller is plugged into my case USB 3.0/2.0 ports (NZXT H440).

I asked my IT guy about it and he said to bleed the system of power. I left it unplugged for 20 minuets last night and havent been able to replicate the screen being messed up. I will try again tonight.

UPDATE: I tried plugging in my controller into my RaspberryPi and it doesnt recognize it either, so I think its safe to say I shocked my controller and killed it.

I guess my real fear at this point is could I have damaged my system if it was plugged in and running and I shocked a component. Could the controller of fed electricity back into my motherboard and damaged it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 USB Power Surge/Device shocked me on touch




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Asus Power Surge
Hi there, Sarah is using win 7 64 bit, Asus motherboard reports power surge and shut down the computer from nowhere. Happened 3 times yesterday and 3 times today. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
BSOD Help and Support
Usb power surge
I keep getting the message one of the usb ports has malfunctioned and has exceeded its power limits or something like that. Ive never had a problem up until the past few days and now my usb ports on the top front of my case wont operate unless I reboot. Once i reboot they are fine for a short time;...
Hardware & Devices
Power surge on USB hub port...
My system, see specs for details, started to popup this error message: "The usb device exceeded the power limit of its hub port" Clicking on the message brings up this window: There are two USB devices plugged in to the computer, keyboard and mouse in the USB 2.0 ports, when the...
Hardware & Devices
USB hub port power surge.
Well I just got a brand new medion computer (4GB ram, 1GB nvidia graphics card, dual core i5 3.0Ghz processor, etc) about 3-4 weeks ago and have had no problems till now. The problem is when i bought the computer i got a mouse and keyboard which worked with it till about 2 days ago. I have 3 USB...
Hardware & Devices
Not Reading HDs after power surge/loss
Greetings, Sometime during the day while I was @ work here was either a power surge or loss of power to my home yesterday. I think it was a loss of power. Now my computer is not able to start Windows. When I do the initial boot up it looks as though it is not finding my hard drives. I tired...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App