Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows Not Booting From Correct Drive

10 Jun 2016   #1
hurrdurriwizard

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 
Windows Not Booting From Correct Drive

Hey everyone! Long time listener first time caller, I have a quick question about booting from a new drive.

I just installed an SSD with the intention of copying my system files over from my old standard HD and using the new one exclusively to boot off of (using this old guide) and despite a couple of hiccups the whole process has gone smoothly. Now I'm at the stage where everything is copied to the new hard drive, but when I go into the BIOS and change the boot order the computer still wants to boot from the old drive. So basically my question is: is this normal?

When I start up normally I can see the new drive (240GB) and the old drive (2TB), but it appears that Windows is running off of the old drive, which is still reading as the C: drive. Furthermore, when I either unplug the old drive or set the BIOS to only boot from the new drive, I get a "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" message upon startup. I'm pretty sure it should change the new drive to the C: drive once I format my old drive, and I have everything backed up in multiple places so I shouldn't be too worried, but I just want to be extra paranoid about my data and make sure nothing catastrophic happens before I do the any formatting. Any help or clarification would be appreciated, thanks in advance!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
10 Jun 2016   #2
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Please post a screen shot of Windows Disk Management that shows all partitions on all drives.

Was your "standard HD" connected to your motherboard when you installed Windows on the new SSD?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jun 2016   #3
hurrdurriwizard

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Please post a screen shot of Windows Disk Management that shows all partitions on all drives.

Was your "standard HD" connected to your motherboard when you installed Windows on the new SSD?
Screenshot attached! Yes, both hard drives were connected and are currently connected to the motherboard (along with my third drive which is purely for storage), the only difference is I tried switching the SATA ports around to see if that would do anything a couple of minutes after I started this thread. Also, I didn't install Windows onto the new SSD from a disc or download, I cloned it using a program called EaseUs Todo Backup Free (EaseUS Todo Backup software for data backup and recovery in Windows PC & Server.) as per the guide I mentioned in my initial post (How to Migrate to a Solid-State Drive Without Reinstalling Windows). It very well could be an issue with the software I used to clone the old drive, but from what I've gathered from other testimonials of the same guide that probably shouldn't be the case.


Attached Thumbnails
Windows Not Booting From Correct Drive-diskmanagement.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Jun 2016   #4
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Clarify this point:

If you disconnect the old drive, can you boot from the SSD? Yes or no.

If yes, does the SSD then show as C, with Windows Disk Management then indicating that the SSD is in fact boot, active, system, page file, crash dump, and primary??

If yes, do all of those characteristics persist through several boot cycles?

If yes again, I'd assume all is well and you don't need the standard hard drive for Windows or booting purposes and can do what you want with it.

If not, advise what of the above is not true.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jun 2016   #5
hurrdurriwizard

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Clarify this point:

If you disconnect the old drive, can you boot from the SSD? Yes or no.

If yes, does the SSD then show as C, with Windows Disk Management then indicating that the SSD is in fact boot, active, system, page file, crash dump, and primary??

If yes, do all of those characteristics persist through several boot cycles?

If yes again, I'd assume all is well and you don't need the standard hard drive for Windows or booting purposes and can do what you want with it.

If not, advise what of the above is not true.
If I disconnect the old drive windows will not start up, it goes straight from the post screen to one that says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jun 2016   #6
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hurrdurriwizard View Post

If I disconnect the old drive windows will not start up, it goes straight from the post screen to one that says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."
What, if anything, have you done to comply with those instructions--to "select proper boot device"?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jun 2016   #7
hurrdurriwizard

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hurrdurriwizard View Post

If I disconnect the old drive windows will not start up, it goes straight from the post screen to one that says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."
What, if anything, have you done to comply with those instructions--to "select proper boot device"?
I've changed the boot order in the BIOS and also tried switching SATA ports when that didn't help, but that's about all I can think to do. When I hit f10 to try to select the boot device manually this is what I get:


"Edit Windows boot option for: Windows 7

Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Partition: 1
Hard Disk: 80768076

[/NOEXECUTE=OPTIN"


And then it boots from the old drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jun 2016   #8
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

My hope was that the menu you are apparently shown with F10 would give you a choice for the SSD and that you could choose it and boot from it.

I gather that you CAN choose the SSD from that menu, but CANNOT then boot from it?

If that's true, I'd guess there is some way to manually edit something that would then allow the SSD to boot.

But, that's beyond my knowledge level.

What would I do?

I'd re-do it, using imaging, NOT cloning.

Make an image of the necessary partitions on the old HD (C and any other partition shown as "system" in Windows Disk Management.)

Save that image file to some other drive, not the SSD and not the drive containing C.

Then disconnect ALL drives other than the SSD.

Then restore that image file to the SSD.

There's a learning curve involved with that.

You may or may not find that learning curve easier to climb than figuring out how to unf$#% your current situation.

Imaging is usually found to be less problematic than cloning. I don't clone for that reason.

Someone else may come along who has a better idea for you.

It may be as simple as disconnecting the hard drive and running System Repair several times, but I'm not sure.

I can't offer anything further--you can wait for other comment, try System Repair, or consider imaging.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jun 2016   #9
hurrdurriwizard

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
My hope was that the menu you are apparently shown with F10 would give you a choice for the SSD and that you could choose it and boot from it.

I gather that you CAN choose the SSD from that menu, but CANNOT then boot from it?

If that's true, I'd guess there is some way to manually edit something that would then allow the SSD to boot.

But, that's beyond my knowledge level.

What would I do?

I'd re-do it, using imaging, NOT cloning.

Make an image of the necessary partitions on the old HD (C and any other partition shown as "system" in Windows Disk Management.)

Save that image file to some other drive, not the SSD and not the drive containing C.

Then disconnect ALL drives other than the SSD.

Then restore that image file to the SSD.

There's a learning curve involved with that.

You may or may not find that learning curve easier to climb than figuring out how to unf$#% your current situation.

Imaging is usually found to be less problematic than cloning. I don't clone for that reason.

Someone else may come along who has a better idea for you.

It may be as simple as disconnecting the hard drive and running System Repair several times, but I'm not sure.

I can't offer anything further--you can wait for other comment, try System Repair, or consider imaging.
I'll give some of hose things a shot, I'll probably also try re-cloning the old drive using different software. Thanks for your help!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jun 2016   #10
DavidE

Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
 
 

Did you run Startup Repair after cloning ?
If not, i would disconnect the old drive and run Startup Repair.

Here is a tutorial:
Startup Repair
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows Not Booting From Correct Drive




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
After reinstalling windows my c: drive size is not correct
I don't know what to do now.. the normal size : 50gb current :495..
Installation & Setup
what are the correct settings for the ide dvd drive
I am putting together a computer using parts that I have lying around. Both hdd's are sata, one dvd drive is sata and the other is ide. My question is what are the correct settings for the ide dvd drive. Please help, have searched the internet for days, with no luck tying to find answer. Please...
Hardware & Devices
Correct user when booting
I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I want to change the user that comes on when first booting from another user.
General Discussion
Windows Boot Manager won't boot the correct drive
Hi, I installed Windows 7 in UEFI mode to an SDD and I figured it would be easy to take my old drive which also had Windows 7 installed, hook it up to a SATA port, and copy over the files that I wanted. In my BIOS interface I can select the SSD drive to boot from, or "Windows Boot Manager"....
Installation & Setup
Windows 7 not booting from cd or hard drive
Please help Windows 7 crash If someone could please try and help me fix this or just start over. Ok I have a emachine e725 running windows 7 32bit and a acer running on windows vista. My emachine recently crashed in the blue screen and I tried to complete a system restore. I was able to get...
General Discussion
which hard drive is windows booting from?
I just got done building my first computer! (12 gb ddr3 ram, i7 950, WD 1T HDD, 128gb SSD sata 3, radeon HD 6950) and I'm trying to figure out which drive windows 7 is booting from?
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:11.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App