Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Thinkpad T420 does not recognize external drive

05 Jul 2016   #11
rvcjew

7 Pro x64, 10 Pro x64
 
 

This is indeed odd can you try plugging the hdd in while in safe mode on Windows?




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 Jul 2016   #12
Corobori

Windows 7 Professional 64 bits
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
This is indeed odd can you try plugging the hdd in while in safe mode on Windows?
It's odd ... and time consuming ! I tried plugging in the hdd in safe mode, nothing changed.
I reckon it must be a BIOS settings somewhere but can't figure out what. I have been told that he could that the Security Chip in the EEPROM detected something weird on the drive, that is why I tried disabling it as explained before but it didn't change anything.
Also somebody was saying that he could be a voltage issue but without giving me any clue on how to check that out and fix it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2016   #13
rvcjew

7 Pro x64, 10 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Corobori View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
This is indeed odd can you try plugging the hdd in while in safe mode on Windows?
It's odd ... and time consuming ! I tried plugging in the hdd in safe mode, nothing changed.
I reckon it must be a BIOS settings somewhere but can't figure out what. I have been told that he could that the Security Chip in the EEPROM detected something weird on the drive, that is why I tried disabling it as explained before but it didn't change anything.
Also somebody was saying that he could be a voltage issue but without giving me any clue on how to check that out and fix it.
Did you add later the bios settings (I did not see them before sorry) for sure try it once always charge usb is off. I have had issues with that in the past on a y50p. Though the only port that should stay powered like that should be the yellow one of the usbs (not the power port which is also yellow probably).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Jul 2016   #14
CaptainWD

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Corobori View Post
~snip~
So the drive doesn't appear anywhere in the Disk Management? Not even as Uninitialized Drive?
If the drive doesn't show up there nor in the list of devices in the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic but still work fine on other computers the problem is most probably coming from the system itself.

Do you have other storage devices attached to your system? There may be a signature collision which prevents your drive to work properly.

You may also try removing and reinstalling the motherboard drivers. You can get them from the manufacturer's website.

As a last resort you may try to reinstall the whole OS.

Captain_WD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jul 2016   #15
Corobori

Windows 7 Professional 64 bits
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
Did you add later the bios settings (I did not see them before sorry) for sure try it once always charge usb is off. I have had issues with that in the past on a y50p. Though the only port that should stay powered like that should be the yellow one of the usbs (not the power port which is also yellow probably).
Not sure what you mean by that.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CaptainWD View Post
So the drive doesn't appear anywhere in the Disk Management? Not even as Uninitialized Drive?
Exactly, nothing, zilch.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CaptainWD View Post
Do you have other storage devices attached to your system? There may be a signature collision which prevents your drive to work properly.
Sometimes I am using a Broadband modem thru a USB port, it appears under "Unspecified" in Devices and Printers as Huawei Mobile
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CaptainWD View Post
You may also try removing and reinstalling the motherboard drivers. You can get them from the manufacturer's website.
I'll see about this.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CaptainWD View Post
As a last resort you may try to reinstall the whole OS.
Dam... this is really something I wish to avoid.

Tomorrow I'll go to town (I am living in the countryside) and visit a friend who has got an external drive, I'll try to plug it in to see how it goes.
I'll keep you posted.

Anyways I appreciate the time you guys spent trying to help me on this issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2016   #16
CaptainWD

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

[QUOTE=Corobori;3263808]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
~snip~
OK, one more thing, is the WD Elements formatted as a GPT or a MBR drive? If you can, back the data up on another drive and wipe this drive clean on the other computer with the WD DLG tool (fill it with zeros) and then plug it in the other laptop and see if that makes any difference.

Captain_WD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jul 2016   #17
rvcjew

7 Pro x64, 10 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Corobori View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
Did you add later the bios settings (I did not see them before sorry) for sure try it once always charge usb is off. I have had issues with that in the past on a y50p. Though the only port that should stay powered like that should be the yellow one of the usbs (not the power port which is also yellow probably).
Not sure what you mean by that.
I meant that it seems you cam back after I had posted and put the info from your bios. What I recommend is to go into the bios and disable always on usb and see if anything changes in windows. The yellow port I'm talking about is the one on the back of the laptop on the left side.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CaptainWD View Post

OK, one more thing, is the WD Elements formatted as a GPT or a MBR drive? If you can, back the data up on another drive and wipe this drive clean on the other computer with the WD DLG tool (fill it with zeros) and then plug it in the other laptop and see if that makes any difference.

Captain_WD.
I would think that would not matter if the OS sees it as the enclosure should factor into that and not the OS unless its not initialized, either way windows should see it as some kind of usb device period which seems to not be happening.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2016   #18
Corobori

Windows 7 Professional 64 bits
 
 

Guys, I have solved this issue. On my trip to town I visited a place where they are fixing up notebooks. The guy in charge told me to purchase a dual USB cable, it wasn't easy to find one but I just got it and the external drive is now coming up nice and easy :-)

My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Jul 2016   #19
rvcjew

7 Pro x64, 10 Pro x64
 
 

Ah so was a power issue after all huh, glad you got it fixed.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2016   #20
CaptainWD

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Corobori View Post
~snip~
Hey, glad to see you've resolved it. The single USB must not provide enough power to fully enable the drive to work so the dual-cable should serve you well.

Post back if you encounter other issues.

Captain_WD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Thinkpad T420 does not recognize external drive




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
computer to recognize my external hard drive?
computer to recognize my external hard drive? http://i59.tinypic.com/10p2j5u.jpg
Hardware & Devices
[BSOD] Lenovo Thinkpad T420
Dear all, I went through the different steps mentioned in "clean-up-factory-bloatware" article, apart from last point which consists of re-installing my machine! But still I have BSOD and it drives me crazy. I attached the DM Log Collector results. Hope you'll be able to find what causes...
BSOD Help and Support
WIN 7 can't recognize IDE to USB external hard drive. Please help.
Hello Windows 7 Forum members, For some reason my HP Laptop (Win 7 Home Premium) can't see/recognize my usb external hard drive (seagate). When I start/restart my computer and connected the usb cable into laptop, it shows the icon on bottom taskbar (safely remove hardware and when clicked on...
Hardware & Devices
Windows 7 doesn't recognize my external hard drive
I"ve had a Simpletech external hard drive for a few years now, and it's worked great on every computer that's had Windows XP (it's a plug and play). However, I just bought a new laptop with Windows 7, and when I tried to plug it in to the USB port on it, it just told me "USB device not recognized."...
Hardware & Devices
Lenovo ThinkPad T420 Bad Inverter?
My laptop LCD has been out for awhile and I've been using with an external monitor, but I decided to fix the LCD so I ordered a new LCD screen for it. The lcd screen arrives, install it and picture still doesn't show up. I then thought maybe I just had a bad cable from motherboard to LCD so I...
Hardware & Devices
Will Windows 7 32b recognize 3GB External USB Drive?
My 1.5TB USB( using the EZ-dock adapter) drive is about full, and I'm looking at a 3GB drive to replace it. My system is a Netbook with USB 2.0 as the only external drive interface so that limits my options considerably if I want to keep it to something I can throw into my suitcase easily when...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App