Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Need USB 3.1

04 Aug 2016   #11
web

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ranger4 View Post
Just to add an additional note. To get the speed of USB 3.0 from things such as portable hard drives have to be designed for USB 3 & are connected by a heavier USB cable. Of course they also have to be plugged into a USB 3 port.

USB 2 devices will work perfectly plugged into a USB 3 port but they will only run at USB 2 speed. Also a USB 3 device plugged into a USB 2 port will only run at USB 2 speed.

could u give an example of heavier USB cable ? are there standards or something u can buy ?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Aug 2016   #12
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Hi,
usb3 or 3.1 capable devices will have the same usb colored tips
Blue for usb 3 and green for usb 3.1 white for usb2

My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2016   #13
web

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
usb3 or 3.1 capable devices will have the same usb colored tips
Blue for usb 3 and green for usb 3.1 white for usb2

Ranger4 said a heavier duty cable better ? .... are not all cables the same I have the right cable
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Aug 2016   #14
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Hi,
Not sure about the heavier deal but they do make gold tipped cables too for usb3
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005H3Q55E...XRA2ENE2ZR2NSK
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2016   #15
z3r010

 

Without looking it up, I'm still pretty sure 3.0 would be faster than the drive anyway.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2016   #16
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Hi,
Indeed the spec's do not show if there is a 5400 or 7200rpm hdd inside it
SAMSUNG D3 Station 2TB USB 3.0 3.5" Desktop External Hard Drive STSHX-D201TDB Black - Newegg.com
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2016   #17
web

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
Not sure about the heavier deal but they do make gold tipped cables too for usb3
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005H3Q55E...XRA2ENE2ZR2NSK
I was told gold tipped cables where no better than normal cables where HDMI is concerned would this be true for USB ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2016   #18
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Hi,
No hdmi gold are indeed high speed and a lot better
usb3 no telling like already said the speed will be in the hard drive in the enclosure mostly

Pretty much why I never consider devises like you have because it comes with a hdd in it and can not be changed out
I sort of stick with empty enclosures and add the hdd I want to use mostly 7200rpm hdd's.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2016   #19
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Going by my memory a hard drive can't saturate the speeds of USB 2.0 let along USB 3.0.
The read/wright speed of hard drives is to slow.
I did a lot of research long time ago, when I was thinking on buying my first SSD.
I just don't remember where I found all the data from my research.

I gave all but one of my hard drives away a long time ago, after getting hooked on SSD's.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2016   #20
Ranger4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by web View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ranger4 View Post
Just to add an additional note. To get the speed of USB 3.0 from things such as portable hard drives have to be designed for USB 3 & are connected by a heavier USB cable. Of course they also have to be plugged into a USB 3 port.

USB 2 devices will work perfectly plugged into a USB 3 port but they will only run at USB 2 speed. Also a USB 3 device plugged into a USB 2 port will only run at USB 2 speed.

could u give an example of heavier USB cable ? are there standards or something u can buy ?
USB 3.0 cables have extra wires & they are designed to carry extra current as well. This website might help explain it.

Do USB 3.0 Connections Require USB 3.0 Cables?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Need USB 3.1




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:47.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App