Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: You need to format the disk in drive G: before you can use it error

22 Aug 2016   #1
Alcoholic

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
You need to format the disk in drive G: before you can use it error

Hello everyone, so today I bring you one of the stupidest things I've ever done in my history with computers.

So, me and a couple of my friends were shooting a short film on a Canon camera and I am the one who usually does the montage. So, we shot the scenes and it was time to montage the scenes and edit them, as I usually do, I connected the SD card to my memory card reader and connected it to my PC. Everything was going well, I had access to the files, pictures, videos, everything. But, the videos were a bit heavy for my computer for an instance and my computer froze and so, stupid me pulled the card reader out to fix the freeze and it actually did fix the freeze. However, when I reconnected my card reader, instead of giving me the option to open the disk and browse my files, it showed me this:
"You need to format the disk in drive G: before you can use it.

Do you want to format it?

[Format the disk] [Cancel]"

And of course, as I do not want to lose ALL of the things we shot on the camera, I pressed cancel. And my SD card became something called RAW.

What I've done so far:
  • Downloaded a bunch of file recovery softwares which were no good.
  • Followed several guides of how to recover my files, which were also no good.
  • Tried the chkdsk thingy, which was also no good.

I'm desperately seeking for help right now, I really can't afford to lose over an hour of shooting scenes.
I currently am entering the final year of High School in my country, which is really a big deal, I have many studying to be done and I don't have the time to reshoot ALL the scenes. Please, any help would be so, so, so much appreciated. Thanks in advance.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Aug 2016   #2
Megahertz07

Windows 7 HP
 
 

Fist guess is that you lost the files by messing the allocation tables. The disk guru is Jumanji (http://www.sevenforums.com/member.php?u=163641) Ask for his help. Did you pulled the card reader out without Safety Remove Hardware permitting? Did you tried any un format software?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Aug 2016   #3
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

"Current version (ZAR X) supports digital photo recovery for the following file formats: GIF, JPEG, TIFF, CRW (Canon RAW data), MOV, AVI movie, WAV, CR2 (Canon CR2 RAW format), ORF (Olympus RAW format) and most of the digital camera models."

If you know that the digital image/Video format is one of the above then try Zero Assumption Recovery.

Digital image recovery - ZAR

Camera Compatibility List Camera Compatibility List for Free Photo Recovery

Background on Z-A Photo Recovery Background on Z-A Image Recovery

Digital Image Recovery module in ZAR is free.

If not successful, you can try Partition Recovery Wizard in MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition https://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

Launch PartitionWizard, on the left Pane click on Partition Recovery Wizard > Next >Select your SD card > Next > Full Disk > Next > QuickScan > Next. Allow the quickscan to complete. At the end of the quickscan you will get a window showing all the found partitions . Post ascreenshot of it. After you have taken the screenshot click on Cancel button on that Window and close PW. You can run it again after getting further instructions from me. You may have to wait since it is already bedtime for me ( I am two and a half hours ahead of you) and I can see it only after another 10 hours.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Aug 2016   #4
samuria

win 8 32 bit
 
 

Don't use recovery software all that's happened is the partition has gone you need specific partition recovery which can restore very quick
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2016   #5
Alcoholic

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Megahertz07 View Post
Fist guess is that you lost the files by messing the allocation tables. The disk guru is Jumanji (http://www.sevenforums.com/member.php?u=163641) Ask for his help. Did you pulled the card reader out without Safety Remove Hardware permitting? Did you tried any un format software?
Yes, unfortunately that's what I did, I pulled it out while it was frozen, without safely removing it. I have tried tons of unformatting and recovery softwares. However, none of them seemed to work for my case.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2016   #6
Alcoholic

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
"Current version (ZAR X) supports digital photo recovery for the following file formats: GIF, JPEG, TIFF, CRW (Canon RAW data), MOV, AVI movie, WAV, CR2 (Canon CR2 RAW format), ORF (Olympus RAW format) and most of the digital camera models."

If you know that the digital image/Video format is one of the above then try Zero Assumption Recovery.

Digital image recovery - ZAR

Camera Compatibility List Camera Compatibility List for Free Photo Recovery

Background on Z-A Photo Recovery Background on Z-A Image Recovery

Digital Image Recovery module in ZAR is free.

If not successful, you can try Partition Recovery Wizard in MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition https://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

Launch PartitionWizard, on the left Pane click on Partition Recovery Wizard > Next >Select your SD card > Next > Full Disk > Next > QuickScan > Next. Allow the quickscan to complete. At the end of the quickscan you will get a window showing all the found partitions . Post ascreenshot of it. After you have taken the screenshot click on Cancel button on that Window and close PW. You can run it again after getting further instructions from me. You may have to wait since it is already bedtime for me ( I am two and a half hours ahead of you) and I can see it only after another 10 hours.
First of all, thank you VERY much for your precious time and for your reply. As far as I remember, I've tried the Minitool Partition Wizard and when it is supposed to show all found partitions, it instead showed nothing at all. So, what I did was giving the SD card to a friend of mine, to try it on a camera and on a laptop and surprisingly enough, it worked on both. Could it have been the memory card reader the faulty element here?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2016   #7
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

Glad you tried the card on another camera and laptop.( We always forget the interface and fear the worst .

Try a good SD Card with data on it in your card reader.If the SD Card is not read, throw away the card Reader and buy a new one.You may mark this thread as solved so that other people can take a lesson out of this - to first try the Card on another known to be good Card Reader/ laptop/ same model digicam.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Aug 2016   #8
Alcoholic

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
Glad you tried the card on another camera and laptop.( We always forget the interface and fear the worst .

Try a good SD Card with data on it in your card reader.If the SD Card is not read, throw away the card Reader and buy a new one.You may mark this thread as solved so that other people can take a lesson out of this - to first try the Card on another known to be good Card Reader/ laptop/ same model digicam.
As far as I am aware, I have another SD card lying around here or there, haha! I'll definitely give it a try.
Thank you very much for your time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 You need to format the disk in drive G: before you can use it error




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
'You need to format the disk in drive F: before you can use it'- Help
Hi I have an ASUS U53JC running windows 7 64 bit and I have a corsair 32GB USB 3.0 USB stick and I used it yesterday to put some music on and went to a friends iMac and plugged it in and it said that it wasnt compaitable and that it had to be formatted so I cancelled it and took it out. Today I...
Hardware & Devices
You need to format the disk in drive F: before you can use it!!!
Hi, This weekend a installed the windows 7 64bit over a vista 32bit. During the installation I left my Samsung S2 HD 500gb plugged in. After the installation the windows didn’t find a mass storage controller drive and my HD appeared as Local Drive ( F: ). When I try to access it, this msg...
Hardware & Devices
You need to format the disk in drive E: before you can use it.
Hi, I've just recently sent my custom pc for repairing. It turns out that the mother board and P.S.U. were toasted. I can't get back my pc at least for 2 months. I took my previous hard drive out form the pc and then bought a 3.5 SATA HDD External Enclosure (Hornettek Viper) and installed my...
Hardware & Devices
Format disk in drive g pop up
Every 5 minutes or so , a pop up saying "You need to format the disk in drive g before you can use it" comes up. Problem is, I have no disk in drive g, and nothing connected to my usb ports. So i have no idea what this means. Add to this that the device manager keeps refreshing and will not let me...
Performance & Maintenance
You need to format the disk in drive E: before you can use it
Windows 7 32 bits I have an external drive where i have all my data but whenever i connected it the window You need to format the disk in drive E: before you can use it pops up so i tried to find a solution online and i followed this link How to disable: You need to format the disk in...
Hardware & Devices
You need to format the disk in drive x...
I am getting this popup: "You need to format the disk in drive x before you can use it". In my case it's drive H: I have unchecked "Use AutoPlay for all media and devices" in the Control Panel. I did this a week ago when I started getting these popups and it seemed to work till today when it...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:29.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App