Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Help with partitioning.

19 Nov 2009   #1
RileyRandom

Ubuntu 9.10 and Seven Ultimate OEM 32 bit
 
 
Help with partitioning.

When i first got windows 7 i only gave 20 gbs to the partition, now windows 7 is my main OS and i would like to know how to make that partition bigger and my Vista partition smaller.

I already tried PartitionMagic, but it said my drive was 'Bad'.

Also when i tried uninstalling PartitionMagic i got the BSod. (Had to manually uninstall it.)


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
19 Nov 2009   #2
reghakr

Windows 7 Pro & Vista Home Premium
 
 

I prefer GParted.

You can delete all partition *if that;;s what you want to do(, the I create a 70GB partition for Windows7.

When back in Windows go to Start > Run, and type diskmgmt.msc and you can format the unallocated space or break it down into more partitions.

GParted download:
GParted -- Download
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2009   #3
RileyRandom

Ubuntu 9.10 and Seven Ultimate OEM 32 bit
 
 

I don't want to delete the partitions or format or anything like that.

I just want to take about 30 gbs from one partition and move it to the other partition
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Nov 2009   #4
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RileyRandom View Post
When i first got windows 7 i only gave 20 gbs to the partition, now windows 7 is my main OS and i would like to know how to make that partition bigger and my Vista partition smaller.

I already tried PartitionMagic, but it said my drive was 'Bad'.

Also when i tried uninstalling PartitionMagic i got the BSod. (Had to manually uninstall it.)
Hi and welcome

Partition magic. An oldy but a goodie doesnt work in win 7. Parigon disk suite 2009 does

Good luck and let us know if you need any help with that


Ken J++
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2009   #5
RileyRandom

Ubuntu 9.10 and Seven Ultimate OEM 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RileyRandom View Post
When i first got windows 7 i only gave 20 gbs to the partition, now windows 7 is my main OS and i would like to know how to make that partition bigger and my Vista partition smaller.

I already tried PartitionMagic, but it said my drive was 'Bad'.

Also when i tried uninstalling PartitionMagic i got the BSod. (Had to manually uninstall it.)
Hi and welcome

Partition magic. An oldy but a goodie doesnt work in win 7. Parigon disk suite 2009 does

Good luck and let us know if you need any help with that


Ken J++

I just downloaded Parigon disk suite 2009, now how do i change the size of a partition?

Edit: Now i'm getting some error saying "I/O error on hard disk drive 2 has occured".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2009   #6
reghakr

Windows 7 Pro & Vista Home Premium
 
 

I don't know for sure if GParted can do that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2009   #7
RileyRandom

Ubuntu 9.10 and Seven Ultimate OEM 32 bit
 
 

Any other ways to resize the partition?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2009   #8
reghakr

Windows 7 Pro & Vista Home Premium
 
 

I trued my GParted ISO, but I'm having video card problems and it wouldn't completely load.

There's a be program out there call Parted Magic.

I haven't used it, but you can read about it here:
Documentation
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2009   #9
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x2 Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Ubuntu
 
 

Hi Riley,

My partition manager of choice at the moment is Partition Wizard - in particular the bootable disk version, (take the Operating system out of the equation ).

The software is available here for free ...

http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-...n-manager.html

Also there is a step by step of resizing Windows 7 partition here ....

How to Resize Partition under Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2009   #10
RileyRandom

Ubuntu 9.10 and Seven Ultimate OEM 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
Hi Riley,

My partition manager of choice at the moment is Partition Wizard - in particular the bootable disk version, (take the Operating system out of the equation ).

The software is available here for free ...

BEST FREE Partition Manager for Windows supports all 32-bit & 64 bit Windows No-server OS.

Also there is a step by step of resizing Windows 7 partition here ....

How to Resize Partition under Windows 7

Now my partitions that i made smaller wont show up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Help with partitioning.




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Partitioning a HDD
Hi,I'm using windows 7 home premium with two HDD one is C and the other is E. The C is of course the main one with the OS on it,Also has all my programs. That's all is on that drive,It's a 500gb and the OS takes up 54gb now the rest is just empty space. Drive E,That's where all my...
General Discussion
HDD Partitioning
Hi... Need some advise on the following : 1. To do it using Win 7 utilities,i.e. Disk Management; or, 2. The conventional way ,i.e. format the HDD and do a clean installation and partitioning. What is the pro's and con's? Thks
General Discussion
HDD Partitioning
I have a second hard drive that is taking like a minute longer than usual to format.(i know its not that long but it is out of the ordinary) I also tried making a small 10gb new simple volume and it takes just as long to format than as it does the whole drive. My other hard drive(500gb) formats...
Hardware & Devices
Partitioning
Is there a way to reallocate unused space from D drive to C drive without losing any data?
General Discussion
About Partitioning again
Setup specs: Sager Laptop - cpu i7 820 1.73 ghz quad - 8GB Ram - ATI 5800 (1GB) 2 500 GB WD SATA HDD Sorry to bring disk partitioning up again... I see by searching it has been raised on several of the forums several times. The aspects discussed below do not appear to have been addressed....
General Discussion
Partitioning
Here's my problem, I have a 2 partition disk split: C:\Se7en & E:\data . I want to sneak in a partition at the start of E: to hold XP os and thus "F:" becomes my new data partition. Shrink as far as I know will create a space after the currently existing E:. The added problem is I am only playing...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:12.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App