Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: HP Pavilion dv6 volume light always red

26 Nov 2009   #1
bigredswims

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
HP Pavilion dv6 volume light always red

First off, I hope this is in the proper sub-forum. If not, then I apologize in advance.

Anyhow, last night I installed Windows 7 with the upgrade disc I received from HP, and everything went smoothly. It is the Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit edition. The only "issue" I've had is that the volume light on the laptop is now constantly red. It's usually white when the volume is on and red when muted, and you can toggle it by tapping it with your finger. This action still does toggle volume/mute, but the color remains red.

It's a very minor problem, I know, but it would be nice to have it returned to the way it's supposed to be. If anyone has any ideas on the situation, your help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Nov 2009   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigredswims View Post
First off, I hope this is in the proper sub-forum. If not, then I apologize in advance.

Anyhow, last night I installed Windows 7 with the upgrade disc I received from HP, and everything went smoothly. It is the Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit edition. The only "issue" I've had is that the volume light on the laptop is now constantly red. It's usually white when the volume is on and red when muted, and you can toggle it by tapping it with your finger. This action still does toggle volume/mute, but the color remains red.

It's a very minor problem, I know, but it would be nice to have it returned to the way it's supposed to be. If anyone has any ideas on the situation, your help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Hi and welcome

Probably a driver the win 7 install didnt pick up. what sound card? can you go into device manager (type device manager in search) go to th sound card and see if your card is listed. It shoud be listed and not have a yellow traingle on it

Let us know if you need help with any of this


Kenn J++
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Nov 2009   #3
bigredswims

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigredswims View Post
First off, I hope this is in the proper sub-forum. If not, then I apologize in advance.

Anyhow, last night I installed Windows 7 with the upgrade disc I received from HP, and everything went smoothly. It is the Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit edition. The only "issue" I've had is that the volume light on the laptop is now constantly red. It's usually white when the volume is on and red when muted, and you can toggle it by tapping it with your finger. This action still does toggle volume/mute, but the color remains red.

It's a very minor problem, I know, but it would be nice to have it returned to the way it's supposed to be. If anyone has any ideas on the situation, your help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Hi and welcome

Probably a driver the win 7 install didnt pick up. what sound card? can you go into device manager (type device manager in search) go to th sound card and see if your card is listed. It shoud be listed and not have a yellow traingle on it

Let us know if you need help with any of this


Kenn J++
Hi, thank you for your reply. My sound card is an IDT High Definition Audio CODEC. I went into the device manager and there is no yellow triangle associated with it or with anything else listed in the device manager. Do you have any idea what else it could be?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Dec 2009   #4
vicvic

windows 7 Home premium 32 bit
 
 

hi i had the same problem when i first up graded. Go to the hp site and download the audio driver for your machine and the the quick lauch drivers. The problems should then be solved
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Dec 2009   #5
bigredswims

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by vicvic View Post
hi i had the same problem when i first up graded. Go to the hp site and download the audio driver for your machine and the the quick lauch drivers. The problems should then be solved
Hey vicvic, I followed your advice and the light's working the way it should again (toggling between white for sound and red for mute). Thank you very much!

edit: It's weird because the quick launch driver I downloaded and installed was new, but the audio driver was apparently the same one I was already using. I installed the quick launch driver first and restarted my computer and there was no change. Then I downloaded and installed the same IDT Audio driver that device manager told me I was already using, restarted my computer and voila! I don't understand it, but whatever works!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2010   #6
cllme007

windows 7 upgrade
 
 
This really did work Thanks!!!!! The red light went off

I have same computer and when I went to upgrade from Vista to windows 7 the red light was on and everything else worked just fine. I thought I did something wrong but, this does work and now light is off and working like before Thanks so much. Window 7 is much better than Vista in my option. Thanks again must go to HP.com and download audio driver just like you said and it works. Hp.com has the latest software.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 HP Pavilion dv6 volume light always red




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Does Deleting USB HardDrive(Volume)Revert It To Inactive Volume
Have an external USB hard drive caddy with a naked Raptor drive sitting in it which has one partition that is the entire capacity of the Raptor drive...this is an 'active' volume. 1. Can someone tell me if I delete the volume under Computer Management>Disk Management>Delete Volume will this...
Hardware & Devices
Encrypted Volume Check: Volume Info on \\?\Volume{X}Can't read
Encrypted Volume Check: Volume Info on \\?\Volume{X}Can Not Read Found this in my Event Viewer on each start/restart. I don't have any Volumes that I have encrypted. Is this malware? I've run everything prior to noticing including Windows Offline Defender. Not sure if this is even the...
General Discussion
Soft Recording volume with Blue Yeti, increasing volume distorts audio
So I have a Blue Yeti, and I'm an online animator/voice actor. Whenever I record audio on my Blue Yeti (OR any other mic) I record about 4-6 inches from the mic, and turn the gain down enough that the audio doesn't peak as I yell or whatever. This is what you're supposed to do if you don't want...
Sound & Audio
How to increase max volume and decrease minimum volume
I use W7's volume control for the studio monitors I use. It's not practical to use the knob on the monitors since it is located in the back. The max volume (100%) in W7 is not loud enough while the minimum volume (0%) still makes sound when Id like it to be mute if it's at 0% How can this be...
Sound & Audio
HP Pavilion dv6 Volume Window
I have an HP Pavilion dv6 running Windows 7, and I have a problem with the volume control; not that it's not working correctly, but that it is. Volume control on a dv6 is done through a touch-sensitive panel above the keyboard. This is the only way to change the volume using your fingers...
Sound & Audio
Extremely low volume on headphones but high volume on speakers
y0 I got this other problem i really hate. The most. Please jonathan_king, zigzag reply please. I beg you, i got this problem that i plug in my headphones and its extremely low volume. It use to work fine, but now nope. I tried the jacks on the front, back and my monitor. Please help me.
Sound & Audio

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App