Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: RAM/Memory Problem

01 Dec 2009   #1

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 
RAM/Memory Problem

I have been trying to figure out why my x32 RC installation was so sluggish, after moving it's HD to my secondary rig. I have been taking so long in setting it up, that I forgot that when I install my 2 sticks of 512MB ram, that it wouldn't startup and keep beeping one long and 2 short blasts. With only one stick, it will boot, but when looking at the memory usage, almost all of the physical memory is used, even at idle. I do have the virtual memory set at 3071-4096, which I thought would be sufficient to offload the RAM, but looking at the memory usage in the Task Manager's resource monitor, all that I see is for physical memory...where do I find the utilization of virtual memory?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Dec 2009   #2

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Just type in "system information" into the command prompt then hit enter. Look down towards the bottom and you will see the virual memory stats.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2009   #3

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

That didn't work:

Quote:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\wallwalker.Newhope>system information
'system' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\wallwalker.Newhope>
Got it! the command is systeminfo.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 Dec 2009   #4

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
That didn't work:

Quote:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\wallwalker.Newhope>system information
'system' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\wallwalker.Newhope>
Got it! the command is systeminfo.
Typing the entire word isn't mandatory but it works perfectly for me either way. Indeed typing "system information" works also. You were typing at C/users for some reason?

I guess maybe we weren't typing in the same place. For me it's go to start "Windows Icon lower left" then type where it says "search programs and files" that is what I usually refer too as the command prompt, glad you found the info seeker.

Don't forget about the tipping the scales if I helped.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2009   #5

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Here is the systeminfo"

Quote:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7100]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Gary>systeminfo

Host Name: NEWHOPE
OS Name: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
OS Version: 6.1.7100 N/A Build 7100
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
Registered Owner: XXXX
Registered Organization:
Product ID: 00428-321-7001123-70258
Original Install Date: 5/28/2009, 1:08:06 AM
System Boot Time: 11/30/2009, 10:47:07 PM
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
System Type: X86-based PC
Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.
[01]: x64 Family 15 Model 47 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD
~2216 Mhz
BIOS Version: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A8N-SLI ACPI BIOS Revi
sion 1014, 11/25/2005
Windows Directory: C:\Windows
System Directory: C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume1
System Locale: en-us;English (United States)
Input Locale: en-us;English (United States)
Time Zone: (UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)
Total Physical Memory: 512 MB
Available Physical Memory: 107 MB
Virtual Memory: Max Size: 3,583 MB
Virtual Memory: Available: 2,744 MB
Virtual Memory: In Use: 839 MB
Page File Location(s): M:\pagefile.sys
Domain: WORKGROUP
Logon Server: \\NEWHOPE
Hotfix(s): 14 Hotfix(s) Installed.
[01]: KB970421
[02]: KB970789
[03]: KB970858
[04]: KB971961
[05]: KB972260
[06]: KB972407
[07]: KB972636
[08]: KB973346
[09]: KB973525
[10]: KB973540
[11]: KB973874
[12]: KB974293
[13]: KB974455
[14]: KB975517
Network Card(s): 1 NIC(s) Installed.
[01]: NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
Connection Name: Local Area Connection
DHCP Enabled: Yes
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1
IP address(es)
[01]: 192.168.1.108
[02]: fe80::41c1:7a17:b1f0:70d2
Shouldn't it show two processors, instead of one, with an AMD X2 processor?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2009   #6

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
That didn't work:

Quote:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\wallwalker.Newhope>system information
'system' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\wallwalker.Newhope>
Got it! the command is systeminfo.
Typing the entire word isn't mandatory but it works perfectly for me either way. Indeed typing "system information" works also. You were typing at C/users for some reason?

I guess maybe we weren't typing in the same place. For me it's go to start "Windows Icon lower left" then type where it says "search programs and files" that is what I usually refer too as the command prompt, glad you found the info seeker.

Don't forget about the tipping the scales if I helped.
I don't know, maybe it's because I opened the Command Prompt from Start>Run.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2009   #7

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Here is the systeminfo"

Quote:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7100]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Gary>systeminfo

Host Name: NEWHOPE
OS Name: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
OS Version: 6.1.7100 N/A Build 7100
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
Registered Owner: XXXX
Registered Organization:
Product ID: 00428-321-7001123-70258
Original Install Date: 5/28/2009, 1:08:06 AM
System Boot Time: 11/30/2009, 10:47:07 PM
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
System Type: X86-based PC
Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.
[01]: x64 Family 15 Model 47 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD
~2216 Mhz
BIOS Version: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A8N-SLI ACPI BIOS Revi
sion 1014, 11/25/2005
Windows Directory: C:\Windows
System Directory: C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume1
System Locale: en-us;English (United States)
Input Locale: en-us;English (United States)
Time Zone: (UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)
Total Physical Memory: 512 MB
Available Physical Memory: 107 MB
Virtual Memory: Max Size: 3,583 MB
Virtual Memory: Available: 2,744 MB
Virtual Memory: In Use: 839 MB
Page File Location(s): M:\pagefile.sys
Domain: WORKGROUP
Logon Server: \\NEWHOPE
Hotfix(s): 14 Hotfix(s) Installed.
[01]: KB970421
[02]: KB970789
[03]: KB970858
[04]: KB971961
[05]: KB972260
[06]: KB972407
[07]: KB972636
[08]: KB973346
[09]: KB973525
[10]: KB973540
[11]: KB973874
[12]: KB974293
[13]: KB974455
[14]: KB975517
Network Card(s): 1 NIC(s) Installed.
[01]: NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
Connection Name: Local Area Connection
DHCP Enabled: Yes
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1
IP address(es)
[01]: 192.168.1.108
[02]: fe80::41c1:7a17:b1f0:70d2
Shouldn't it show two processors, instead of one, with an AMD X2 processor?
One processor, two cores. There are dual processor boards that would show two processor's.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2009   #8

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by seekermeister View Post
That didn't work:



Got it! the command is systeminfo.
Typing the entire word isn't mandatory but it works perfectly for me either way. Indeed typing "system information" works also. You were typing at C/users for some reason?

I guess maybe we weren't typing in the same place. For me it's go to start "Windows Icon lower left" then type where it says "search programs and files" that is what I usually refer too as the command prompt, glad you found the info seeker.

Don't forget about the tipping the scales if I helped.
I don't know, maybe it's becayse I opened the Command Prompt from Start>Run.
No need to type "run" anymore. People are just use to that from the Vista days.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2009   #9

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

My memory is so bad, that I can't be certain wihout taking the rig apart, but I was thinking that my CPU is an x2, but CPUID only shows it as a 3500+. Going back to the RAM, I know that 512MB is not good for this system, but do you think that it would make a drastic difference than with 2x512MBs? I'm going to have to buy another stick of RAM, or RMA the one that I have, but I don't know if I can find the sales receipt or not. As expensive as DDR400 has become, I hate to pay the price.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Dec 2009   #10

W7x64 Pro, SuSe 12.1/** W7 x64 Pro, XP MCE
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
No need to type "run" anymore. People are just use to that from the Vista days.
I don't type it, I have the Run displayed on the Start Menu. The only other way that I'm aware of to reach the Command Prompt is through the Control Panel, but that is somewhat of a hassle.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 RAM/Memory Problem




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: RAM/Memory Problem
Thread Forum
memory problem Performance & Maintenance
problem with Memory Hardware & Devices
Seven x64 memory problem Hardware & Devices
problem with the memory General Discussion
Memory problem Hardware & Devices
Memory Problem Hardware & Devices
Memory Problem General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33