Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Unable to map printer to LPT1


09 Dec 2009   #1

Windows 7 Profesional 32 bit
 
 
Unable to map printer to LPT1

Hi,
My office use DOS application and shared printer. I login as administrator, use "net use" command to lpt1 and it always prompt for user and password, every time I type user password, it always failed and has an error like this:

Quote:
system error 5 has occured.
Access is denied.
I tried to map to another port like LPT2 or LPT3, it success....but... When I use print command from my DOS application, it always says that "printer is not ready".

Can anybody help me, please? When I used Windows XP it's fine, it drives me crazy with this Win 7 Profesional.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Dec 2009   #2

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Write the net use command in a txt file and save it as a .bat file on the desktop. Then right click on the .bat file, select run as administrator. It should work...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2009   #3

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stecally View Post
Write the net use command in a txt file and save it as a .bat file on the desktop. Then right click on the .bat file, select run as administrator. It should work...
If this works, go to your UAC settings and move the scroll bar to the bottom so that you are never notified about making changed your computer. Then, move the .bat file to your startup folder and this will be mapped successfully eachtime your computer starts.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


09 Dec 2009   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sammuel View Post
I tried to map to another port like LPT2 or LPT3, it success....but... When I use print command from my DOS application, it always says that "printer is not ready".

Can anybody help me, please? When I used Windows XP it's fine, it drives me crazy with this Win 7 Profesional.
This is because DOS applications can generally only print to LPT1.

Are you logged on as a user with administrative credentials? If not then non admin users are unable to map an LPT port to to a network printer if the LPT port exists on the system as a physical parallel port.

Adding the user to local admins should get you around this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2009   #5

Windows 7 Profesional 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stecally View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stecally View Post
Write the net use command in a txt file and save it as a .bat file on the desktop. Then right click on the .bat file, select run as administrator. It should work...
If this works, go to your UAC settings and move the scroll bar to the bottom so that you are never notified about making changed your computer. Then, move the .bat file to your startup folder and this will be mapped successfully eachtime your computer starts.

Yes, it works. I finally can map the printer to LPT1, but, when I try to print using DOS, it still says "printer is not ready". Why?

I checked in command promt and type "net use" to see if my connection is OK, and it's fine. When I print with other application such as notepad or word it's also fine. the problem occurs only in DOS.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DC187 View Post
Are you logged on as a user with administrative credentials? If not then non admin users are unable to map an LPT port to to a network printer if the LPT port exists on the system as a physical parallel port.
Yes...I use administrative credentials.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2010   #6

Windows 7
 
 

The only success I've had is to log in as the user (who has administrative privilleges) and open an elevated (right click, run as admin) command prompt windows and type in...net use lpt1 \\server\printer.

Then the user is able to print from a DOS program.

If they restart the computer, they have to rerun the net use command before printing from the DOS program.

I haven't tried turning UAC off though. I will do that right away.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Oct 2010   #7

Winows 7 Professional 32-bit
 
 

have the same exact problem, i can't write a script when the user logs on since it promts for username and password which doesn't work. The user is an administrator on the local machine but the only way to make it work, is to right click and "run as administrator".... however i can't/dunno how to write that in a script
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Unable to map printer to LPT1




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33