Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How do you know if you have USB 2.0 installed?


13 Dec 2009   #1

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
How do you know if you have USB 2.0 installed?

Hello there,

Recently I've bought a printer USB cable that says USB 2.0 supported. However when I plugged it between my Canon printer to my PC, it did not detect the printer. When I try with a HP USB brand cable, it did.

At the same time, I am currently running on a new motherboard - DG31PR - which says that it has 8 x USB 2.0 port. Now can anyone tell me how to check if I have USB 2.0 installed? I went to Device manager and to the 'Universal Serial Bus controllers' root but I can't find anything that says USB 2.0 ...

Instead I have what I have on my screenshots.


So can anyone comfirm if my USB ports are up to date?

In Win XP, I can check it when I plug in a USB device and look it up in the property, but apparently Win 7 removed this...

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Dec 2009   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

If you built that PC, the motherboard manual will tell you. My Gigabyte MA 790GPT-UD3H has 6 on the back panel and all are USB 2.0 / 1.1
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Dec 2009   #3
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise
 
 

Hello Flowright,

Any new motherboard these days will at least have USB 2.0 now. There are even some just released with USB 3.0 now.

According to your motherboard specs below, you have 8 USB 2.0 ports.

Intel Desktop Board DG31PR - Overview

Hope this helps,
Shawn
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


15 Dec 2009   #4

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Hello Flowright,

Any new motherboard these days will at least have USB 2.0 now. There are even some just released with USB 3.0 now.

According to your motherboard specs below, you have 8 USB 2.0 ports.

Intel Desktop Board DG31PR - Overview

Hope this helps,
Shawn
I am aware that there is 8, but is it preinstalled? Or do drivers/something needs to be installed to make it run as a USB 2.0? Cause right now, I am copying a file from a CF card or 10 photos, and I have a copying speed of 200 kB/sec -- which is very slow.

So looking at the attachment, do I seem to have USB 2.0?

I know I have 8, but in fact I only have 6 working one right now. I am not a pro PC builder, so I only connected whatever cables I can find correctly.

Could connecting the wrong cable on the mobbo be a problem?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #5

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

If you had connected the front panel USB to the IEEE 1394 or something else besides USB hub.....you would have bigger problems than you have now.

The speeds you are seeing probably have to do with the USB devices you have, not the USB performance from your board. The ICH7 supports 8 "full speed" USB ports (between the back panel and front of case) If there are more, they may be "sharing" bandwidth.

Also, you can still see any device plugged into USB port in "device manager" some devices are "hidden" and you have to "unhide" them. I think you have to go to "view" at the top and press "show hidden devices"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1, Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

In your attachment it says "...USB2 Enhanced host controller...", that indicates that you have USB2.
BTW, only one entry for that is normal.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #7

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nate42nd View Post
If you had connected the front panel USB to the IEEE 1394 or something else besides USB hub.....you would have bigger problems than you have now.

The speeds you are seeing probably have to do with the USB devices you have, not the USB performance from your board. The ICH7 supports 8 "full speed" USB ports (between the back panel and front of case) If there are more, they may be "sharing" bandwidth.

Also, you can still see any device plugged into USB port in "device manager" some devices are "hidden" and you have to "unhide" them. I think you have to go to "view" at the top and press "show hidden devices"
I am sorry. I don't know what's a IEEE 1394. The USB slow USB speed cannot be from the device itself. The CF flash card of my camera can copy paste from another computer at 10 MB/sec. I am going at 200 kB/sec. It's definately not the device that is the problem. I am pretty sure it's the board.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pbcopter View Post
In your attachment it says "...USB2 Enhanced host controller...", that indicates that you have USB2.
BTW, only one entry for that is normal.
Perhaps this is the problem. I wanted somebody to hint it out for me. So Enhanced host = USB 2.0 ey? Well, you have said that only ONE is normal , why aren't the others all written as Enhanced host as well?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #8
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise
 
 

Flowright,

You might also see if downloading and installing the latest 9.​1.​1.​1020 chipset driver for your Intel DG31PR motherboard may help any from the link at Intel below.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sear...p+Board+DG31PR



IEEE 1394 is for firewire. Looking at your motherboard specs and motherboard screenshot below, you do not have a firewire port on your motherboard. Instead, you have two USB ports ( U and T below). You might try the other port.

Name:  motherboard.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  109.2 KB


My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How do you know if you have USB 2.0 installed?




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33