Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can I Run Windows 7?


26 Dec 2009   #1

Window XP, Vista, and 7 32bit Editions
 
 
Can I Run Windows 7?

Don't ask me to install the advisor to tell me because my computer is a bit messed up and it can't contact Microsoft servers at all(no it's not malware, I checked). Anyway, I meet the free space, GHz, and memory requirements. I just don't know if I have "DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver". How can I check to see if I have this?

BTW, I have a 2.79 GHz, 2GB of RAM, and 37GB of HDD space(embarrassingly little). Even if I can run Windows 7, can someone tell me if it'll be sluggish?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Dec 2009   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, clean install, upgrade disc
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zepher13 View Post
Don't ask me to install the advisor to tell me because my computer is a bit messed up and it can't contact Microsoft servers at all(no it's not malware, I checked). Anyway, I meet the free space, GHz, and memory requirements. I just don't know if I have "DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver". How can I check to see if I have this?

BTW, I have a 2.79 GHz, 2GB of RAM, and 37GB of HDD space(embarrassingly little). Even if I can run Windows 7, can someone tell me if it'll be sluggish?
Type device manager in search. Once there check for the graphics device and what driver is used.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2009   #3

Window XP, Vista, and 7 32bit Editions
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zepher13 View Post
Don't ask me to install the advisor to tell me because my computer is a bit messed up and it can't contact Microsoft servers at all(no it's not malware, I checked). Anyway, I meet the free space, GHz, and memory requirements. I just don't know if I have "DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver". How can I check to see if I have this?

BTW, I have a 2.79 GHz, 2GB of RAM, and 37GB of HDD space(embarrassingly little). Even if I can run Windows 7, can someone tell me if it'll be sluggish?
Type device manager in search. Once there check for the graphics device and what driver is used.
Ummm, is this good enough?: http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...g?t=1261878465
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 Dec 2009   #4

 

If you can run Vista the odds are Windows7 will work out fine.

Why can't you contact... (or perhaps you don't want to make contact with!) Microsofts servers?

I'm not 100% sure the Windows 7 advisor actually phones home...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2009   #5

Window XP, Vista, and 7 32bit Editions
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Qdos View Post
If you can run Vista the odds are Windows7 will work out fine.

Why can't you contact... (or perhaps you don't want to make contact with!) Microsofts servers?

I'm not 100% sure the Windows 7 advisor actually phones home...
Well, first of all, I'm not running vista. I'm running XP Pro SP3. And when I try to use the Windows 7 upgrade advisor, it tells me that I might have a problem with my internet connection and tells me to try again later. And this is what I get when I try to perform an update.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2009   #6

 

When I made mention of Vista it was because you state in your system specifications it was one of the operating systems you were currently running...

My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2009   #7

Windows 7 32bit RTM
 
 

dude I have a machine running windows 7... that has a Intel Celeron 2.0 ghz, 512mb RAM and a builltin video card... and I can still browse the net and such... :P!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2009   #8

Window XP, Vista, and 7 32bit Editions
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Qdos View Post
When I made mention of Vista it was because you state in your system specifications it was one of the operating systems you were currently running...

And I also state that I use Windows XP
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2009   #9

Window XP, Vista, and 7 32bit Editions
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
dude I have a machine running windows 7... that has a Intel Celeron 2.0 ghz, 512mb RAM and a builltin video card... and I can still browse the net and such... :P!
Yaaaaa, I don't know what that means
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2009   #10

Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zepher13 View Post
Don't ask me to install the advisor to tell me because my computer is a bit messed up and it can't contact Microsoft servers at all(no it's not malware, I checked). Anyway, I meet the free space, GHz, and memory requirements. I just don't know if I have "DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver". How can I check to see if I have this?

BTW, I have a 2.79 GHz, 2GB of RAM, and 37GB of HDD space(embarrassingly little). Even if I can run Windows 7, can someone tell me if it'll be sluggish?
ow that i think you can run Windows 7 the next question is will you be doing an upgrade or a full clean install? Upgrade just adds the Windows 7 stuff on your HD and the full install (which is the best way) will erase all and install Windows 7 but after that it needs access to the internet to downlaod new drivers if needed.

You say you presently have a problem downloading from Microsoft. That troubles me. Why is this happening. It shouldn't no matter what you say and if you just do an upgrade install you still may have that problem.

My suggestion is backup all important data and do a full install and clean out your HD with a fresh install.

My 2 cents
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can I Run Windows 7?




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33