Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: mouse problem in windows 7


31 Dec 2009   #1

Win7 build 7600
 
 
mouse problem in windows 7

okay, you'll have to bear with me with this quite loose description of what is happening, basically..

when i begin the movement of my mouse for about a quarter of a second it acts as if it is 'accelerating' up to the normal speed that i will have until about a quarter of a second after i stop moving my mouse, where it 'decelerates'. at this point, i have stopped the motion of moving my mouse and it is still moving ever so slightly, maybe only 2-3 pixels if that. but it is /very/ disorienting and when i am playing first person shooters..it's less than ideal to be 2-3 pixels to the right/left of your target's head.. =/

it gives the mouse a feeling of like.. being in pudding.

i have updated the drivers, it's a basic optical mouse.. not usb, the wire is not damaged since it worked perfectly fine on my old computer that i owned about 2 months ago, and this problem has been persisting since i got this new computer and doesn't change when i switch mice.
any ideas?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Jan 2010   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Waffle007 View Post
okay, you'll have to bear with me with this quite loose description of what is happening, basically..

when i begin the movement of my mouse for about a quarter of a second it acts as if it is 'accelerating' up to the normal speed that i will have until about a quarter of a second after i stop moving my mouse, where it 'decelerates'. at this point, i have stopped the motion of moving my mouse and it is still moving ever so slightly, maybe only 2-3 pixels if that. but it is /very/ disorienting and when i am playing first person shooters..it's less than ideal to be 2-3 pixels to the right/left of your target's head.. =/

it gives the mouse a feeling of like.. being in pudding.

i have updated the drivers, it's a basic optical mouse.. not usb, the wire is not damaged since it worked perfectly fine on my old computer that i owned about 2 months ago, and this problem has been persisting since i got this new computer and doesn't change when i switch mice.
any ideas?
Perhaps its one of those few things where when they say it isnt compatiable with Windows 7 it just means it will act a bit funny.

But try going to control panel (select small icon view) >Mouse>Pointer options>make sure "Display Pointer Trails" is not ticked.
Pointer precision is clicked.
Make sure pointer speed is half way (or faster,just not slow)

Another thing it could be is that your gaphics card isnt up to spec,causing "Lag" in your pointer.
What game and what graphics card are you trying to play

Lag is the word i think your looking for btw
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2010   #3

Win7 build 7600
 
 

i have a nvidia geforce 9100, which i know isn't great..but i have 8gb of ram and a quad core of 2.6 ghz i believe it is..

and the game is Team Fortress 2 mostly, but other games share this problem to a lesser extent.

display pointer trails was unticked

so was enhance pointer precision.. i thought that if you had that unticked it was getting rid of mouse acceleration, but i'll try it..


EDIT: nope, that didn't help, it made it worse if anything.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 Jan 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Waffle007 View Post
i have a nvidia geforce 9100, which i know isn't great..but i have 8gb of ram and a quad core of 2.6 ghz i believe it is..

and the game is Team Fortress 2 mostly, but other games share this problem to a lesser extent.

display pointer trails was unticked

so was enhance pointer precision.. i thought that if you had that unticked it was getting rid of mouse acceleration, but i'll try it..


EDIT: nope, that didn't help, it made it worse if anything.
I meant to make sure enhane pointer precision WAS clicked

Can you try to turn off some of the features (anti aliasing etc) and reduce the resolution to say 600x800 and see if you notice an improvent.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2010   #5

Win7 build 7600
 
 

i know, when i clicked it on it made it worse. i had it off before.



i'm actually running a high fps config right now, which turns the settings down incredibly low for optimal performance, and i get 60 fps in the middle of heavy firefights. when i set the resolution to 800x600 instead of the like what was it, 1368x768 or something around there? there was minimal if any change.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2010   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Waffle007 View Post
i know, when i clicked it on it made it worse. i had it off before.



i'm actually running a high fps config right now, which turns the settings down incredibly low for optimal performance, and i get 60 fps in the middle of heavy firefights. when i set the resolution to 800x600 instead of the like what was it, 1368x768 or something around there? there was minimal if any change.
Hmph,strange.
Have you tried a different mouse by chance?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2010   #7

 

I'd wanna look to ensure there's no fluff or other guff across the optical sensor, and that the surface it's being used on isn't tricking the sensor (for example my desk will trick most optical mice as it's smooth woodgrain, but pop in a mousemat and there's no comparison - everything works properly...)

Nothing wrong at this level, try another mouse and see if the problem vanishes...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jan 2010   #8

Win7 build 7600
 
 

yep, i tried the mouse that came with the new computer and the mouse i used on my old computer. both act the same really.. =/

i used to not use a mouse pad, but i realized that might be part of the problem so i slapped one down a little while ago and it has helped a little bit. i also cleaned off the bottom of the mouse of any inconsistencies.. it didn't really help much.

any other ideas?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2010   #9

Win7 build 7600
 
 

shameless bump
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jan 2010   #10

 

Is this behaviour only happening in certain games? Not universally across everything the computer does on a day to day basis? If so what are the hardware requirements for the game(s) in question? Perhaps it/they require(s) a mouse which will enter gaming mode at 1600dpi or something like that... and your optical mouse simply isn't capable of that...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 mouse problem in windows 7




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: mouse problem in windows 7
Thread Forum
Windows 7 mouse problem Drivers
Mouse Problem with Garry's Mod with a fresh copy of Windows 7. Gaming
Solved Problem with my mouse under windows 7 Hardware & Devices
strange problem with mouse and windows help center General Discussion
Windows 7 Mouse Acceleration problem Hardware & Devices
Windows 7 (64bit) Mouse Problem Hardware & Devices
Problem with Logitech Mouse in Windows 7 x64 Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33