Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: SD card format problem

06 Jan 2010   #1
chambers53

windows 7 home premium 64
 
 
SD card format problem

Hi Guys,

I have a USB 2 multi card reader, which i use to read my camera SD card. This works fine on my VISTA laptop (integral reader) and worked fine on my previous XP system.

Now Windows 7 detects my USB multi card read but wont read my SD card but wants to format it stating that the file format is unrecognizable. This would then render it useless in my camera.

Any thoughts on can this problem be solved?

Thanks in advance

Colin


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Jan 2010   #2
Qdos

 

Check the card in another machine and make sure it hasn't got a damaged archive or has incomplete writes due to being pulled out prematurely, and if everything is fine then your problem would appear to lie with the Win 7 drivers you have installed not being the correct ones for the card reader...

These cards should be formatted as FAT32 and optimised for quick removal
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2010   #3
chambers53

windows 7 home premium 64
 
 

Thanks Qdos,

I have used the SD card on a VISTA laptop since finding this problem on my Windows 7 PC so I think that the SD card format is ok.

How do i ensure that the SD card is optimized for quick removal?

Thanks
colin
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


06 Jan 2010   #4
Coolness

Win 7 pro 64-bit, Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chambers53 View Post
Thanks Qdos,

I have used the SD card on a VISTA laptop since finding this problem on my Windows 7 PC so I think that the SD card format is ok.

How do i ensure that the SD card is optimized for quick removal?

Thanks
colin
You backup everything on it, and format it to FAT32. Then you check if it works.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2010   #5
belikexp

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chambers53 View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a USB 2 multi card reader, which i use to read my camera SD card. This works fine on my VISTA laptop (integral reader) and worked fine on my previous XP system.

Now Windows 7 detects my USB multi card read but wont read my SD card but wants to format it stating that the file format is unrecognizable. This would then render it useless in my camera.

Colin
Multi card readers are cheap. Buy another and see if it works on your Win 7 system. If it doesn't I would suspect the USB port. Maybe go into device manger and uninstall all USB drivers. Then reboot. Win 7 will reinstall the USB drivers. Then try the card reader again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Jan 2010   #6
chambers53

windows 7 home premium 64
 
 

Thanks guys (in particular thanks to Coolness, your suggestion worked first time).

Problem solved.

I formatted the SD card and it still appears to work in the camera and works ok in windows 7.

Colin
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Jan 2010   #7
Coolness

Win 7 pro 64-bit, Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chambers53 View Post
Thanks guys (in particular thanks to Coolness, your suggestion worked first time).

Problem solved.

I formatted the SD card and it still appears to work in the camera and works ok in windows 7.

Colin
Good job. And i might add, buying a new one is hardly a solution, as suggested by belikexp
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2010   #8
belikexp

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Coolness View Post

Good job. And i might add, buying a new one is hardly a solution, as suggested by belikexp

The point is to give different solutions to a problem. Not say thanks and point to other solutions that didn't work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2010   #9
Coolness

Win 7 pro 64-bit, Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by belikexp View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Coolness View Post

Good job. And i might add, buying a new one is hardly a solution, as suggested by belikexp

The point is to give different solutions to a problem. Not say thanks and point to other solutions that didn't work.
Well everyone can figure out that buying a new something will fix the problem with the old one, you dont need to point it out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 SD card format problem




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Can't format SD card
hey guys i am trying to help my teacher format one of her cards that came from a camera and when we put it in her laptop which is Windows 7 Professional like my own personal computer she then gets the error that it needs to be formatted and then when we try to format it, it keeps giving an error...
Hardware & Devices
SD card format issues
It seems that my SD card cannot work. It was working just fine before, but after using a CMD command to install a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Installation to it, from disc drive directly to the SD (which I now want to remove) it can no longer be read by computer. Upon inserting the card, my computer...
Hardware & Devices
Have Photos on sd card, says I must format?
I installed SD card from camera to upload some photos. Message comes up saying I must format before using. Would lose all photos. HELP
Music, Pictures & Video
Mini SD Card Reader - tells me to format
Details, Just moved to W7 from XP. I have everything working - except my USB Mini SD Card reader. I have a Cyclo DS card and have been accessing the card - no problem through XP. The card is formatted as a FAT32 (as required). When I put it in with W7 - it tells me that I have to format it...
Hardware & Devices
cant format sd card fat 16
Have a new action cam that has a 2 GB sd card to give 1 hour recording, all I have to do is format it in Fat/Fat 16 nothing else. But windows 7 only has NTFS Fat32 and exFat. Can anyone advise me how to get round this problem?:confused: Cheers Zane771
General Discussion
Windows 7 installation CD format problem UDF format
Hey guys, I downloaded Windows RC ISO file, there's a readme file that reads "This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operating system that supports the ISO-13346 "UDF" file system specification." What exactly does UDF mean here? Plus, that ISO has a size of over 2GB, but when...
Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:47.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App