Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can't Read Dell SATA drive

11 Jan 2010   #1
awwall

Win 7 64
 
 
Can't Read Dell SATA drive

Here is problem. Son's computer died. Dell XPS with Raid 320's. Motherboard died. Built him a new computer. I5 system running Windows 7. Assumed I could salvage his data. Installed 1 of the drives and Bios and Windows sees the drive. However, windows wants to format the drive, says there is no active partition. Tried Second drive, which should be his old "C". Same thing. Wants to format it. Is there something special about the way Dell sets up its drives? Something Win7 does not see? I think the drive is fine. Any thoughts?

note: all are SATA drives, new and old

TIA


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
11 Jan 2010   #2
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Hello,

Could you please post a screenshot of disk management for me? http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...en-forums.html

Thanks,
~Jonathan
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2010   #3
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by awwall View Post
Here is problem. Son's computer died. Dell XPS with Raid 320's. Motherboard died. Built him a new computer. I5 system running Windows 7. Assumed I could salvage his data. Installed 1 of the drives and Bios and Windows sees the drive. However, windows wants to format the drive, says there is no active partition. Tried Second drive, which should be his old "C". Same thing. Wants to format it. Is there something special about the way Dell sets up its drives? Something Win7 does not see? I think the drive is fine. Any thoughts?

note: all are SATA drives, new and old

TIA
TIA;

The best place to go to understand why Dell ships computers with hard drives configured for RAID 0 is Dell. I just can't imagine why they would do this? Dell's customers are most likely not able to understand how to manage a RAID setup like this anyway.

The problem you have is the two hard drives were configured as a pair in a RAID 0 ARRAY. In simplist terms, the data is shared half to one drive and half to the other, supposedly increasing data access speed. Take one hard drive away from a RAID 0 and you have nothing a computer can recognize.

You may be able to salvage the data, you will need to use the RAID functions of the motherboard, if available, or some RAID software. If you can, open the BIOS (repeatedly tap the DELETE key, or what ever your motherboard requires at boot up) and select RAID in the hard drive settings for a pair of SATA hard drives, and make sure the two Dell hard drives are connected there. Hopefully, with the RAID enabled and the two drives connected, you will be able to access the data. No promises though.

Dell raid link: RAID | Dell

Jaycee posted this link for RAID information: B.C. Technology and Internet Services: RAID Info
(Thanks! Jaycee)

Cheers!
Robert
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Jan 2010   #4
awwall

Win 7 64
 
 

You nailed it Iseeuu...I figured this out after posting. (with a lot of reading). I am trying a tool called "getdataback" right now to see what it can recover. I screwed up big time. The first drive I put in, I let Windows setup a partition and it wiped the allocation tables. The second drive is what I am working on..about 85% done now. Will re post with the final results.

I don't understand why Dell does this either. My Son-in-law has no clue as to what RAID is or how to use it. When he bought this, I think Dell reps sold him a bill of goods because he asked for a "gaming" computer and they sold him this XPS at an outrageous cost. When something dies..i.e. motherboard...data is essentially lost. Hopefully they had this in "mirror" mode, but probably not.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jan 2010   #5
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by awwall View Post
You nailed it Iseeuu...I figured this out after posting. (with a lot of reading). I am trying a tool called "getdataback" right now to see what it can recover. I screwed up big time. The first drive I put in, I let Windows setup a partition and it wiped the allocation tables. The second drive is what I am working on..about 85% done now. Will re post with the final results.
Ouch! I have experimented with some hard drive restore / recovery programs, most are expensive so unless the data is really valuable ... O&O Software (oo-software.com/) has some very professional software including downloads and trials, if that helps. You might be able to restore the first drive to its original condition and match the pair in a raid array again and allow it to rebuild itself?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by awwall View Post
I don't understand why Dell does this either. My Son-in-law has no clue as to what RAID is or how to use it. When he bought this, I think Dell reps sold him a bill of goods because he asked for a "gaming" computer and they sold him this XPS at an outrageous cost. When something dies..i.e. motherboard...data is essentially lost. Hopefully they had this in "mirror" mode, but probably not.
Windows 7 has delighted me with its Backup and Image utilities. It is so easy to use a second hard drive, internal or external, and save an image of the OS. Early Sunday morning I saved a new Image of the wife's Retail 7 Upgrade (we had just finished setting it up just the way she wanted it) and Sunday afternoon the hard drive died. Just quit, no power, no nothing. I shifted stuff around and freed up another hard drive and replaced her dead one. About 15 minutes later she was up and running just like before. Thank you Microsoft.

Hope you can salvage some of the files.

Cheers!
Robert
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jan 2010   #6
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

I use the free recovery program Diskdigger.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can't Read Dell SATA drive




Thread Tools






Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Upgrading Hard Disk from SATA to SATA 3 Drive
The time has come for me to wipe the hard drive and re-install Windows 7 following a recent disastrous download that's effectively knocked out my Internet Explorer 11 and rendered Internet browsing difficult. My system has since become unstable and progressively slow and unfortunately, for some...
Hardware & Devices
dvd drive wont read specific disk, will read on other vista computer
hey, my computer generally reads disks, music cd's, dvd's, and games (new like sims 3, and old like theme hospital and shogun total war) ive just got anno 2070 and put in the disk, but its not recognizing it at all, when i first put the disk in, it whirs, as it knows there is a disk there, and a...
Hardware & Devices
Possible solution for common SATA DVD won't read disc
I have been way behind the curve on doing upgrades to my computer. I was still using XP until last weekend. One thing that stopped me was for months now my DVD R had packed it in and would no longer read discs. I seldom needed the drive so ignored the issue and I never seemed to have the time to...
Hardware & Devices
motherboard owners with both SATA and PATA please read
I don't have a problem, but wanted to share an experience I had while doing a clean install of Windows 7. I have a three year old Gigabyte motherboard with both PATA and SATA connections and have my primary drive on the SATA connection with a small PATA drive I use for data backups. I recently did...
General Discussion
Trying to read SATA drive from XP PC on Windows 7 PC
My XP PC died. I bought a new Windows 7 PC and want to transfer my data from my old 500GB SATA drive (S: drive on my old PC - I used it for data only - not my boot drive). I bought a USB converter, plugged the drive into a USB port. The drive is recognized, but my PC doesn't see any volumes or...
Hardware & Devices
Windows 7 installation cannot read SATA III Drive
Hi there, I have been trying to install my Windows 7 Home Premium on my SATA III (WD500GB) drive but it cannot read it. I use Asus P7H55-M/USB3 motherboard and I have updated BIOS version to latest 0901. My SATA III drive was installed using SATA III cable (came supplied with mobo) and I...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:34.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App