Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: HDD not recognized

31 Jan 2010   #1
SWPIX

windows 7
 
 
HDD not recognized

I just bought a HP 64bit Athlon machine and installed win7 64bit and it works fine. I have a brand new Samsung HDD that I want to install as a cloned drive. When I hook up the SATA cables it is recognized in BIOS and device manager however it does not show up in My computer therefore I cant do anything with it
Any suggestions.
Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2010   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SWPIX View Post
I just bought a HP 64bit Athlon machine and installed win7 64bit and it works fine. I have a brand new Samsung HDD that I want to install as a cloned drive. When I hook up the SATA cables it is recognized in BIOS and device manager however it does not show up in My computer therefore I cant do anything with it
Any suggestions.
Thanks

Is it formatted, partitioned and jave a drive letter?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2010   #3
madtownidiot

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SWPIX View Post
I just bought a HP 64bit Athlon machine and installed win7 64bit and it works fine. I have a brand new Samsung HDD that I want to install as a cloned drive. When I hook up the SATA cables it is recognized in BIOS and device manager however it does not show up in My computer therefore I cant do anything with it
Any suggestions.
Thanks

Is it formatted, partitioned and jave a drive letter?
You should the HDD see even if it isn't formatted or partitioned it if you right click Computer from the start menu, select manage, scroll down to disk management under storage and click on disk management
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2010   #4
nate42nd

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

It just so happens I just installed one myself and made a video on it. Here it is if you care to watch it. It should tell you everything you would need to know. It's a little "long winded" if you go to the end I tell you what you need to know. I just uploaded it so it's not processed yet...sorry, but I put the link there. You should be able to get what you need at the end of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfVkeFaHaSQ
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2010   #5
SWPIX

windows 7
 
 

I watched the video and followed the steps and in 5 minutes I had a new HDD listed! WOW...thanks a million.....now what I want to do is image my C drive so I will have a bootable spare drive in case I lose the C drive....any suggestions here???
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2010   #6
nate42nd

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SWPIX View Post
I watched the video and followed the steps and in 5 minutes I had a new HDD listed! WOW...thanks a million.....now what I want to do is image my C drive so I will have a bootable spare drive in case I lose the C drive....any suggestions here???
Glad it worked, I would just create an image on the drive and use the "repair disk" or install disk to restore the image in case you have problems.

System Repair Disc - Create

Here's a video on that! haha I have videos on a lot of stuff. I enjoy making them. I'm trying to make them better. Just a hobby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d9lS1wbsPg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvtSKZfSAdQ
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2010   #7
SWPIX

windows 7
 
 

I'm not sure this is what I want to do...I want an Exact copy of the C drive on my newly installed hdd so that I could actually unplug the C drive and boot from the new drive after selecting it in BIOS. Also I would wonder if I could move the drive to another computer and have Win7 and all my programs etc bootable...in effect a duplicate computer...Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2010   #8
nate42nd

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SWPIX View Post
I'm not sure this is what I want to do...I want an Exact copy of the C drive on my newly installed hdd so that I could actually unplug the C drive and boot from the new drive after selecting it in BIOS. Also I would wonder if I could move the drive to another computer and have Win7 and all my programs etc bootable...in effect a duplicate computer...Thanks
This is why people make images. If you did what you are suggesting I don't think it would work for long. I think you would run into the EULA licence. only one copy of Windows on any one HD. Think about using the built-in imaging. It works.

To do what you are thinking you will need another licence
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2010   #9
madtownidiot

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nate42nd View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SWPIX View Post
I'm not sure this is what I want to do...I want an Exact copy of the C drive on my newly installed hdd so that I could actually unplug the C drive and boot from the new drive after selecting it in BIOS. Also I would wonder if I could move the drive to another computer and have Win7 and all my programs etc bootable...in effect a duplicate computer...Thanks
This is why people make images. If you did what you are suggesting I don't think it would work for long. I think you would run into the EULA licence. only one copy of Windows on any one HD. Think about using the built-in imaging. It works.

To do what you are thinking you will need another licence
that's not exactly true. regardless of any legal BS, if you purchase a license for window for one PC you have the right to use it on that PC. So long as you are only using that license for one computer, you have nothing to worry about.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2010   #10
SWPIX

windows 7
 
 
gobblegook

I followed the video and did an image of my new HDD...It shows up and when I open it all that's there are some weird files a bunch of XML documents that want to open in Dreamweaver! I WANTED a "Mirror" of my C drive....a clone that shows all the documents system and programs that I can use as a boot drive! How do I get this???
Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 HDD not recognized




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
hard drive NOT recognized in computer but IS recognized in disk mgmnt.
I just rebuilt an old system using Windows 7 Home Premium after using WinXP pro for many years. The primary hard drive is WDC 150 Mg and Win7 is installed and updated to current with SP1. I dropped a second WDC hard drive in, formatted and was going to use it for a 2nd backup unit. Both of these...
Hardware & Devices
usb not recognized ? why ?
Hello friends.. I have an Adata usb flash 32GB, and I use it carefully , but after two weeks since I bought it , I plugged in, I got a message tell me that usb not recognized, and nothing appear on My computer. what is the problem , and what the solution ? thank you.
Hardware & Devices
USB Not Recognized
1G flash drive cannot be accessed as you might encounter if it were write protected -- tested all three USB ports with other flash drives with issue -- of course only the one that I most need -- read historical posts but not successful -- may try it on another computer that has better security in...
Hardware & Devices
my mic is not being recognized
hey there... just upgraded to w7, but everything is perfect but my mic... i can't use it, it is not being recognized ... i use a hp input mic ... can any one help me ?
Hardware & Devices
Ide hd not recognized
For some reason when i loaded windows 7 it will only recognize my SATA drive but not my IDE. Any one know why? or how to fix it. thanks
Hardware & Devices
Getting my 4TB to be recognized on XP
I just got a new 4TB drive My Book Studio Edition II 4 TB Now apparently Windows XP can only recognize drives upto 2TB so a single 4TB drive isn't recognizable. Now while I use Windows 7 at home, my school computers all use XP. So I need to find a way to get these computers to recognize...
Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:21.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App