Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Quad Core? Not enough, how about 960!

08 Dec 2008   #11
ThePwnStar

Windows Vista x86 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by darkassain View Post
but i would love to have one of these for rendering (CAD+Videos(hd))
IN REAL TIME...
now that WOULD BE AWESOME
pls adobe/autodesk make it possible....

(maybe cryptographic brute forcing....
a la wpa2 encryption...lol (of course my network...lol))

And thats excatly right...

Cad renders much faster and these could be used in a render farm as well...

Oh adobe has already done that in CS4 all you need is a 8800GT card or higher and it used that for near real time work

Oh and those are can be used for that... alot quicker as well you should do some googleing


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Dec 2008   #12
skunksmash

SEVEN x64
 
 

''THERE MUST BE A WAY'' to utilize telsa's sheer rendering power for gaming, even if it was used as a dedicated physics card (an expensive one i know)

from what i can gather, & i maybe way of the mark but i think the telsa takes over the CPU calculations in the 2D environment

so in theory this would replace your CPU ??, i refuse to believe that their raw power cant be used in some way to benefit complex game images.


SK
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Dec 2008   #13
ThePwnStar

Windows Vista x86 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by skunksmash View Post
''THERE MUST BE A WAY'' to utilize telsa's sheer rendering power for gaming, even if it was used as a dedicated physics card (an expensive one i know)

from what i can gather, & i maybe way of the mark but i think the telsa takes over the CPU calculations in the 2D environment

so in theory this would replace your CPU ??, i refuse to believe that their raw power cant be used in some way to benefit complex game images.


SK
Ok so ill start with the physics card... Ok a 8600GT has enough power to calcuate the physx in game because they dont require a large amount of calcuations and shader cores which is what Telsa use work a different way..

ok so think of a Telsa as a card with thousnads of little cpus on it calcuating one massive task but the thing is it can only run certian code not X86 code which is machine code it runs a special programming lanuage CUDA but it cant really render a 3d scene because well it has no proper GPU its only shader cores...

Therefore the tasks it can do are really super fast but the ones it arent programmed to do are just as slow as a cpu...

so yes it kind of does take the role of a cpu but with much more power but cant be used for anywhere near as much.

Hope this helps
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Dec 2008   #14
darkassain

Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by skunksmash View Post
''THERE MUST BE A WAY'' to utilize telsa's sheer rendering power for gaming, even if it was used as a dedicated physics card (an expensive one i know)

from what i can gather, & i maybe way of the mark but i think the telsa takes over the CPU calculations in the 2D environment

so in theory this would replace your CPU ??, i refuse to believe that their raw power cant be used in some way to benefit complex game images.


SK
not unless you can code EVERY game you have in C (forgot which iteration but dammit i know its a C language) that is CUDA aware... (or the game manufactures has a physics but yeah it possible as for a hacked versions i wont even go there...lol
other than that there is no possibility
as the drivers dont make it possible at this time...
if someone somehow reverse enginered the drivers thats another story...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Dec 2008   #15
skunksmash

SEVEN x64
 
 

CHEERS GUYS!!.....

that had been bugging me for quite a while..


SK
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Dec 2008   #16
darkassain

Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThePwnStar View Post
Ok so ill start with the physics card... Ok a 8600GT has enough power to calcuate the physx in game because they dont require a large amount of calcuations and shader cores which is what Telsa use work a different way..

ok so think of a Telsa as a card with thousnads of little cpus on it calcuating one massive task but the thing is it can only run certian code not X86 code which is machine code it runs a special programming lanuage CUDA but it cant really render a 3d scene because well it has no proper GPU its only shader cores...

Therefore the tasks it can do are really super fast but the ones it arent programmed to do are just as slow as a cpu...

so yes it kind of does take the role of a cpu but with much more power but cant be used for anywhere near as much.

Hope this helps
well it can be possible ala parallel computing where each core does some it in small steps... it reminds me of RISC computing...lol
it can be possible if the driver supported that (but IMAGINE the overhead for such an application and to be able to synchronize them perfectly )
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Dec 2008   #17
ThePwnStar

Windows Vista x86 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by darkassain View Post
well it can be possible ala parallel computing where each core does some it in small steps... it reminds me of RISC computing...lol
it can be possible if the driver supported that (but IMAGINE the overhead for such an application and to be able to synchronize them perfectly )
lol yeh pretty much thats why they do thier thing kind of without interfernce... there are farms of them but they are working on one part each so not nesscairly have to be synced...

They would be great for that kind fo stuff hopefully they find thier way into medical etc
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Dec 2008   #18
darkassain

Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThePwnStar View Post
lol yeh pretty much thats why they do thier thing kind of without interfernce... there are farms of them but they are working on one part each so not nesscairly have to be synced...

They would be great for that kind fo stuff hopefully they find thier way into medical etc

but i mean for gaming??
the sheer overhead breathtaking to say the least (meaning for gaming) to synchronize every core and to truly multitask by hearing some of the cores prerender them...
well its been nice discussion
cheers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Dec 2008   #19
johngalt

 

I'd rather make use of it to do something really kewl like Robotics competition....imagine, being able to write real code that could make robots track objects and obstacles in real time....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2008   #20
darkassain

Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
I'd rather make use of it to do something really kewl like Robotics competition....imagine, being able to write real code that could make robots track objects and obstacles in real time....
yep very powerful and guess what:
it works in linux!!!
great to see companies not avoiding the linux scene...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Quad Core? Not enough, how about 960!




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Quad Core detected as single core
Hello yesterday i've made a system restore and some apps like Coretemp, CPU-Z and HWMonitor gives me as result Core #0 but in task manager on performance tab it display the four cores working. I read in some other threads about the advanced option in msconfig i've already checked\unchecked the...
Hardware & Devices
Is this good gaming? Intel Core i5-2400S Quad-Core Processor 2.5 GHz 4
Here's a link to what I'm thinking about buying. I've never messed with these "barebones" PCs before. What exactly will I need for it to run games like BF3. Thanks, sorry if I'm being vague, I really don't know too much about this area of PC Intel Core i5 2400S Quad Core Processor 2 5 GHz 4 GB...
Gaming
Quad core processor only running on one core.
I'm having an issue with my CPU. It seems that it is only using one of its cores. This issue first became apparent to me when I was trying to run Blacklight Retribution. It popped up a warning message saying that my computer does not meet the minimum requirements of have at least a dual core. ...
Hardware & Devices
Wondering about upgrading from dual core to quad core CPU with Win 7
I am just wondering about the CPU I just ordered from E-Bay new and how it will perform with Windows 7 64 Bit compaired to the one I have now this is the one I ordered: AMD Phenom X4 Quad CPU 9500 AM2+ 2.2 GHz 3600MHz 4MB :D This is the one I have now: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core 3800+ 2GHz I...
Hardware & Devices
core 3 of quad core CPU always lower temp?????
been noticing this over the last several weeks.....core 3 is always lower in temps than than the rest of the quad......any idea why?
Hardware & Devices
What is better for PC gaming Dual Core or Quad Core?
i have a Intel E5400 Overclocked to 3.23GHz and was going to upgrade to a Q9400 quad and was wondering as i mainly use my PC for high end gaming is quad core as important as it is used more for multitasking and i was told dual would be better for gaming is this true?
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:39.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App