Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How Fast is Your USB?


21 Feb 2010   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
How Fast is Your USB?

According to PCMag, and retold in HD detail on Tech in Hiding, the results may surprise you.

Not so Super Speed USB 3.0 | Tech in Hiding

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Feb 2010   #2

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
According to PCMag, and retold in HD detail on Tech in Hiding, the results may surprise you.

Not so Super Speed USB 3.0 | Tech in Hiding
Yep...pretty surprising when you look at a REAL resource instead.

Early look at USB 3.0 X25-M SSD performance versus USB 2.0, eSATA and more Early look at USB 3.0 X25-M SSD performance versus USB 2.0, eSATA and more :: TweakTown

A quick first look at USB 3.0 performance - The Tech Report - Page 1
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Feb 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

I get insanely fast writes over USB2.0 to my WD externals.
A friend just bought the WD My Book 3.0 and I installed the card in his PC and tested it out really quick and it was twice as fast using USB3, but it was 50% slower than my 1TB black in a My Book USB2 case.

Also, there is a different connector on the Drive so you need a special cable right now for USB3 devices. the other end is a standard looking USB end that plugs into any USB port on your pc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


22 Feb 2010   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
I get insanely fast writes over USB2.0 to my WD externals.
A friend just bought the WD My Book 3.0 and I installed the card in his PC and tested it out really quick and it was twice as fast using USB3, but it was 50% slower than my 1TB black in a My Book USB2 case.
Case to post HDTune benchmarks for proof of that?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Feb 2010   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
I get insanely fast writes over USB2.0 to my WD externals.
A friend just bought the WD My Book 3.0 and I installed the card in his PC and tested it out really quick and it was twice as fast using USB3, but it was 50% slower than my 1TB black in a My Book USB2 case.
Case to post HDTune benchmarks for proof of that?
I'll try and run HD Tune at his place when I bring his drive back and get a USB3 speed.
We just timed the transfers and used the Windows transfer speed.

Here are 3 HD Tune Benches for 3 external drives on USB2 on my machine that I just ran and they all look like they run about the same speed,
500GB WD My Book
1TB Black in a My Book case
My Book 3.0 1TB


Attached Images
   
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Feb 2010   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Pretty much standard USB 2.0 speeds...

That Western Digital MyBook 3.0 needs to be plugged into the USB 3.0 PCIe card FYI. It will work in a USB 2.0 port but at reduced speed (obviously).

Here's proof of that: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/rev...my_book_30_1tb
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Feb 2010   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by JonM33 View Post
Yep...pretty surprising when you look at a REAL resource instead.
First off, I just wanted to say that's a bit of a nasty tone of voice you got there. PCMag is a trusted and accredited source for computer information.

Secondly, I ran some of my own tests. While yes, HD Tune will give you a rate of about 33mb/s, HD Tune is not real world testing, which was what was performed in the article in question. HD Tune is benchmarking, what they did was a simple file copy test, what normal people do. After doing my own tests in a similar manner to theirs, I was surprised to find that yes, you do achieve speeds of about twice their reported speeds, in my case on a USB 2.0 line I received 27mb/s average while transferring about 1gb of data in the form of small files such as MP3's, and large program files such as .iso's.

One lurking variable that I have not tested yet may be hard drive caching. In the reported study they moved 26gbs of data, in the form of 16,000 files. I have not done this yet, but when I do the results may be interesting.

My only other guess would be that the device that they used in testing, a PCI Express slot card, created a hidden variable unforeseen. I am currently trying to get in contact with the writer of the original article to verify this possibility.

Thank you for pointing out the possible error in this study. I'll update the article as soon as I can receive some confirmation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Feb 2010   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

We were looking at this number and timing the transfers, but I will run HD tune at my friends place with the new drive since I installed the card in his PC.
My 1TB Black


My Book 500GB
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Feb 2010   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
First off, I just wanted to say that's a bit of a nasty tone of voice you got there. PCMag is a trusted and accredited source for computer information.
How can you tell "tone" in black and white text? If you can figure that out you might want to pass it along to the first deaf person you see.

I merely pointed out that the benchmarks are fraudulent. I have provided proof from 3 different resources.

PCMag is not a trusted and accredited anything. They are just a group of people that got together to produce a magazine that doesn't even really sell. Half of the magazine is fed with advertisements just so they can make some sort of money. Look, I'll even give you ANOTHER resource showing PCMag to be false: USB 3.0 Drive Smackdown - Performance - HD Tune Write Benchmarks

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
Secondly, I ran some of my own tests. While yes, HD Tune will give you a rate of about 33mb/s, HD Tune is not real world testing, which was what was performed in the article in question. HD Tune is benchmarking, what they did was a simple file copy test, what normal people do. After doing my own tests in a similar manner to theirs, I was surprised to find that yes, you do achieve speeds of about twice their reported speeds, in my case on a USB 2.0 line I received 27mb/s average while transferring about 1gb of data in the form of small files such as MP3's, and large program files such as .iso's.
HDTune is one of many HDD benchmark utilities and is quite accurate in showing actual transfer rate across the entire drive itself. In regards to USB 2.0 it is very reliable in showing the limitations of USB 2.0 transfer speed. With USB 3.0 the hard drive itself is the bottleneck.

Windows transfer rates are not reliable because it's based upon buffered transfers between drives/partitions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Feb 2010   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
We were looking at this number and timing the transfers, but I will run HD tune at my friends place with the new drive since I installed the card in his PC.
My 1TB Black


My Book 500GB
These again? Look, you already proved that actual transfer rate of your 1TB WD Black over USB 2.0 is a normal 33.1MB/s. Windows transfer rates aren't going to exceed the throughput limitation of the drive itself nor the limitation of the interface (USB 2.0).

Also, again, you might want to think twice before putting your pirated movie information up on public forums.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How Fast is Your USB?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: How Fast is Your USB?
Thread Forum
Desktop wifi slow.Wired desktop Fast.Laptop wifi fast. Network & Sharing
I need help fast :( Installation & Setup
Help Fast please! Performance & Maintenance
so you think your ssd is fast Chillout Room
Need help FAST BSOD Help and Support
Is this 2 fast System Security
My God is 7 Fast Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33