Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Dx11 gpu


21 Mar 2010   #1

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 
Dx11 gpu

Hi all,

I'm considering a new Asus ATI Radeon 5870 1024MB GDDR5

I'm just want to know if my 450W PSU will be big enough to handle it. My current specs are listed below. I don't really want to buy a new PSU but if it needs it I best take the plunge.

Cheers.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Mar 2010   #2

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

I wouldn't be surprised if your 4850 eats more power than the 5870. I don't think you NEED a new PSU. The Corsiar 450 is fine. Good luck on the upgrade. I almost got a 5000 series card too. Ended up with a GTS250 of all things. It does me fine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Mar 2010   #3

Windows 7 x64 HP, Windows 7 HP, Windows 7 Ult
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kylehimself View Post
Hi all,

I'm considering a new Asus ATI Radeon 5870 1024MB GDDR5

I'm just want to know if my 450W PSU will be big enough to handle it. My current specs are listed below. I don't really want to buy a new PSU but if it needs it I best take the plunge.

Cheers.
This link came up in another thread a little while ago, it may help you decide: eXtreme Power Supply Calculator
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


21 Mar 2010   #4

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nate42nd View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if your 4850 eats more power than the 5870. I don't think you NEED a new PSU. The Corsiar 450 is fine. Good luck on the upgrade. I almost got a 5000 series card too. Ended up with a GTS250 of all things. It does me fine.
The 4850 I have currently runs pretty sweet but I'm hoping with the 5870 that the system will eat the likes of Crysis and Metro 2033 right up.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheSchaft View Post
This link came up in another thread a little while ago, it may help you decide: eXtreme Power Supply Calculator
I'll take a look at this, cheers!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Mar 2010   #5

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

I'm using the ASUS ATI Radeon 5870 on a Corsair 620W PSU with no problem.
I'm not sure if 450W is enough or not.

Remember that ASUS 5870 requires 2x 6-pin power cables.
-The Corsair 450W "only" has one 6-pin and one 8-pin, if I remember correctly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Mar 2010   #6

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Looks like the Corsair PSU has two 6+2 pin PCI-E connectors, so that's all right for the 5870.

Sapphire recommends a minimum of 500W for the PSU for a single 5870, but not all PSUs are created equal. The Corsair HX450 is rated at 33A on its single +12V rail. Some cheap 600W supplies are rated lower than that.

I don't know what the actual power draws are for the 4850 and the 5870, but according to the calculation link above, the 5870 draws less than 10W more than a 4850.

I'd say that if the 4850 is OK, the 5870 should be too. Whether upgrading will improve your life, I can't say.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2010   #7

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
Looks like the Corsair PSU has two 6+2 pin PCI-E connectors, so that's all right for the 5870.

Sapphire recommends a minimum of 500W for the PSU for a single 5870, but not all PSUs are created equal. The Corsair HX450 is rated at 33A on its single +12V rail. Some cheap 600W supplies are rated lower than that.

I don't know what the actual power draws are for the 4850 and the 5870, but according to the calculation link above, the 5870 draws less than 10W more than a 4850.

I'd say that if the 4850 is OK, the 5870 should be too. Whether upgrading will improve your life, I can't say.
Yeah, the PSU does have two 6+2 outs. I'm going to assume all is well. I suppose a decent PSU isn't that expensive an upgrade if the system needs it. All being well the 450w will hold up.

Cheers for the info guys.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Dx11 gpu




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Dx11 gpu
Thread Forum
crysis dx11 help Gaming
Is DX11 the problem? Gaming
Sub $100 DX11 Graphics Graphic Cards
New DX11 HD5850..... Graphic Cards
Dx11 Chillout Room
Vista will get DX11 News

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33