Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: AMD Phenom 2 X4 965 Heating issues

02 Apr 2010   #1
pcgamer

Windows 7 Pro 32Bit
 
 
AMD Phenom 2 X4 965 Heating issues

i installed a new AMD 965 CPU in my pc and have tryed it with both artic silver 5 and aksa themal paste and it idels at 45-50c normally but when i start multi tasking or playing game such as crysis it rockets up to 62c and even 64 on crysis after 10 mins of play. as it is only allowed to go safly to 62c i am a bit worried about this i am using the stock heatsink that came with it but that is so loud when playing games i have had to stop now is there a way to keep it cooler and has any 1 else had problems with this CPU?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Apr 2010   #2
Shutup

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pcgamer View Post
i installed a new AMD 965 CPU in my pc and have tryed it with both artic silver 5 and aksa themal paste and it idels at 45-50c normally but when i start multi tasking or playing game such as crysis it rockets up to 62c and even 64 on crysis after 10 mins of play. as it is only allowed to go safly to 62c i am a bit worried about this i am using the stock heatsink that came with it but that is so loud when playing games i have had to stop now is there a way to keep it cooler and has any 1 else had problems with this CPU?
Hi pcgamer,

First not to worry about 64c, it can go to sustained periods of 85c without real short term problems.
The max is somewhere in the region of 125c, but that's not really healthy.
If your cpu is going to max at 62c under full load, that is excellent.

Remember, if your cpu stays very cool under load, it means it disapates it's heat very quickly.
And where does it's excess heat go? Right! Into your case.

Now instead of getting your cpu down to let's say 55c max, it's much more important to get rid of the heat from your case asap.

Hard-disks don't like hot environments!

Make sure there is enough flow in and out of the case, and you shouldn't worry one bit about a 62c cpu.

Good luck.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2010   #3
pcgamer

Windows 7 Pro 32Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shutup View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pcgamer View Post
i installed a new AMD 965 CPU in my pc and have tryed it with both artic silver 5 and aksa themal paste and it idels at 45-50c normally but when i start multi tasking or playing game such as crysis it rockets up to 62c and even 64 on crysis after 10 mins of play. as it is only allowed to go safly to 62c i am a bit worried about this i am using the stock heatsink that came with it but that is so loud when playing games i have had to stop now is there a way to keep it cooler and has any 1 else had problems with this CPU?
Hi pcgamer,

First not to worry about 64c, it can go to sustained periods of 85c without real short term problems.
The max is somewhere in the region of 125c, but that's not really healthy.
If your cpu is going to max at 62c under full load, that is excellent.

Remember, if your cpu stays very cool under load, it means it disapates it's heat very quickly.
And where does it's excess heat go? Right! Into your case.

Now instead of getting your cpu down to let's say 55c max, it's much more important to get rid of the heat from your case asap.

Hard-disks don't like hot environments!

Make sure there is enough flow in and out of the case, and you shouldn't worry one bit about a 62c cpu.

Good luck.
thanks for the info my HDD has a very good air flow as its at 23c max all the time as i got a 120mm fan blowing air straight on to it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Apr 2010   #4
stormy13
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shutup View Post

First not to worry about 64c, it can go to sustained periods of 85c without real short term problems.
The max is somewhere in the region of 125c, but that's not really healthy.
If your cpu is going to max at 62c under full load, that is excellent.
Not sure where you got those numbers from but not according to AMD,

Compare AMD Processors for Desktops: AMD Phenom?, AMD Athlon? FX, AMD Athlon? X2 Dual-Core, AMD Athlon?, and AMD Sempron? Processor

If it got into the 80's I would be more than a little alarmed.

pcgamer what are you using for a heatsink? If it isn't a faulty temp sensor somewhere it sounds like it may not be seated on the CPU properly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2010   #5
Shutup

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pcgamer View Post
thanks for the info my HDD has a very good air flow as its at 23c max all the time as i got a 120mm fan blowing air straight on to it.
That's excellent.

The 965 cpu is one hell of a beast, black edition 3.2ghz, and 125watts, so it's bound to get a little hotter than others, but again 64c for that cpu is excellent!

Is that with the stock cooler? Can hardly imagine it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2010   #6
pcgamer

Windows 7 Pro 32Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shutup View Post

First not to worry about 64c, it can go to sustained periods of 85c without real short term problems.
The max is somewhere in the region of 125c, but that's not really healthy.
If your cpu is going to max at 62c under full load, that is excellent.
Not sure where you got those numbers from but not according to AMD,

Compare AMD Processors for Desktops: AMD Phenom?, AMD Athlon? FX, AMD Athlon? X2 Dual-Core, AMD Athlon?, and AMD Sempron? Processor

If it got into the 80's I would be more than a little alarmed.

pcgamer what are you using for a heatsink? If it isn't a faulty temp sensor somewhere it sounds like it may not be seated on the CPU properly.
Its with the stock AMD heat sink with aksa thermal compund its really loud though and im using HWmonitor to check temps. also the heatsink when cliped in moves a little if i really try to move it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2010   #7
tw33k

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
 
 

I've always used AMD chips and have always made sure to use a good thermal paste and heatsink/fan. I agree with WHS, above 80 is high! I'd get a new cpu cooler if it was me getting temps that high.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2010   #8
pcgamer

Windows 7 Pro 32Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tw33k View Post
I've always used AMD chips and have always made sure to use a good thermal paste and heatsink/fan. I agree with WHS, above 80 is high! I'd get a new cpu cooler if it was me getting temps that high.
But the other fans and coolers i have been reading get worse temps as they all say 70+ and i dont wana buy a new 1 and it be the same also i have tryed the Artic silver 5 and was very unimpressed by it doing worse than stock compound.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2010   #9
Shutup

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shutup View Post

First not to worry about 64c, it can go to sustained periods of 85c without real short term problems.
The max is somewhere in the region of 125c, but that's not really healthy.
If your cpu is going to max at 62c under full load, that is excellent.
Not sure where you got those numbers from but not according to AMD,

Compare AMD Processors for Desktops: AMD Phenom?, AMD Athlon? FX, AMD Athlon? X2 Dual-Core, AMD Athlon?, and AMD Sempron? Processor

If it got into the 80's I would be more than a little alarmed.

pcgamer what are you using for a heatsink? If it isn't a faulty temp sensor somewhere it sounds like it may not be seated on the CPU properly.
Hi Stormy,

I got those numbers from real world situations, not the factory numbers.

You are right, at full load they should stay between 60 to 64, and I didn't recommend going over that for very long periods, but spending 20 minutes at 80c won't do any harm what so ever.
I've seen many cpu's all covered in dust working for months on end between 70c and 100c, without so much as a bsod.

These baby's can take quite a lot, especially the "black editions", they are AMD's finest selections.
The 64c AMD puts in their tables are sustained maximums, when you would keep it running at full load for hours on end.

My AMD X4 925 (95watts version), stays idle/light work between 28c and 35c, but when I convert a video with all four cores on full load, it goes to 67c - 69c.

When playing a heavy game at full specs, maxing at 64c is no problem what so ever, and to me is no indication the cooler is not fixed right at the cpu.

It would however be a good idea to buy a better cooler than the stock one, if you plan on playing for sustained periods.

Greetings
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2010   #10
mpcrsc562

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pcgamer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tw33k View Post
I've always used AMD chips and have always made sure to use a good thermal paste and heatsink/fan. I agree with WHS, above 80 is high! I'd get a new cpu cooler if it was me getting temps that high.
But the other fans and coolers i have been reading get worse temps as they all say 70+ and i dont wana buy a new 1 and it be the same also i have tryed the Artic silver 5 and was very unimpressed by it doing worse than stock compound.
I'd like to see some of those coolers you speak of! I had a Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer on this PC a while back and my processor idled at about 32~34 and load temps were about 40~44--nothing ever as high as what you've stated. And, yes, I know our processors aren't exactly the same as my stock frequency is a few MHz lower than yours, but they are similar enough to show the comparison.

In my opinion, those temps are too high for just playing a game. As Stormy13 stated, check to make sure your HSF is seated properly or look into an aftermarket HSF. They're not too expensive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 AMD Phenom 2 X4 965 Heating issues




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Help my computer keeps over heating!
I have a Toshiba L655-s5150 and it will work for 20 minutes or so and then over heat and say system over heating. Turn off and return for service. I don't think that my warranty will cover any expenses. Do I just need a new battery or is there anything I can do to stop this from happening. I...
General Discussion
About laptop heating
Hi everyone. I have sony viao laptop EB34. Its running Windows 7 OS. I have major problem with that. 1) The laptop is heating so much with noise 2) Battery to dead showing "consider replacing your battery" Now in this case what should i do? Is there any way to overcome this heating...
Hardware & Devices
Issues Overclocking & Unlocking AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition
Ok, perhaps you guys can help with my last problem, i have succeffully unlocked my other 2 cores, but am having issues keeping it stable, upped the voltage to 1.5 (Max) and only got it at x15.5, with the other thing at 200 currently(which is factory defaults). But I am not able to keep it stable...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Computer shuts down when idle (no heating issues)
After I ran the command -shutdown -r -t(time in seconds) a few days ago my computer has been shutting off (or hibernating) by itself if left idle for too long. I'm not sure how to remedy this... Did my command "stick," as it were? Under the assumption that it might have stuck, I entered in a...
General Discussion
AMD Phenom X4 9550 issues with W7
Hello, I seem to be having major issues with my "upgrade" to W7 64bit from Vista 64bit. I have the full licensed copy of W7 and chose to do the "upgrade" due to having important documents I did not want to lose. I believe that was my first mistake. I "upgraded" Sunday the 8th of Nov. My...
Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App