Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Transfer to new drive?


08 Apr 2010   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Mac OS X 10.6.2 x64
 
 
Transfer to new drive?

How am I supposed to transfer all my data from one hard drive to the other (replacing laptop drive, both are SATA 3Gb/s)


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Apr 2010   #2
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

If you're a laptop you can always create restore CDs with the Apps provide by the manufacturer, but this will not allow your proper data. This will install the OS like you bought it.

You can also ghost (image) the entire system including restore partition, with the one of your choice "Norton ghost 15", "Acronis True Image Home 2010", "DriveClone Pro 7"...and some other brand as Paragon software.

You will have to buy an adapter Usb 2.0 to Sata 2,5" to image from the laptop to the new Hdd:
http://sataadapter.com/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2010   #3

Windows 7 Home x64
 
 

Do you have a friend? Do you have a friend with a computer? Does said computerized friend have a home network? If the answer is yes to these questions, then perhaps you could backup your data on their machine?

A good question might also be how much data do you have? Does your laptop have a DVD burner? Why not just burn a backup disc?

After replacing the HDD, what are you going to do in regards to the OS? Are you going to restore your factory settings (ugh), or were you thinking of just reinstalling the OS by itself?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 Apr 2010   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Mac OS X 10.6.2 x64
 
 

Wait, are you saying I can just back up using Ghost, and then restore on the new drive, because I have Ghost 15.0.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2010   #5

Windows 7 x64
 
 

win 7 backup and restore will make an image of the drive and replicate it on the new one. You will need a network, or an external/separate drive to copy the image to.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2010   #6
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

If you have Ghost, use the Copy function. That will copy MBR and everything else to e.g. an external drive. In my Ghost 14 manual it is described in chapter 15.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2010   #7
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cclloyd9785 View Post
Wait, are you saying I can just back up using Ghost, and then restore on the new drive, because I have Ghost 15.0.
Yes you can Ghost your entire machine then image it to the new drive...but you'll still need the adapter Usb 2.0 to Sata 2.5" show on my previous post. So, you'll not screw the old Hdd one in case the new image fail to boot...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2010   #8
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cclloyd9785 View Post
Wait, are you saying I can just back up using Ghost, and then restore on the new drive, because I have Ghost 15.0.
Yes you can Ghost your entire machine then image it to the new drive...but you'll still need the adapter Usb 2.0 to Sata 2.5" show on my previous post. So, you'll not screw the old Hdd one in case the new image fail to boot...
If you use Ghost 15 to "Copy" a clone to an external drive, I don't believe you need any of this gear.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2010   #9
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cclloyd9785 View Post
Wait, are you saying I can just back up using Ghost, and then restore on the new drive, because I have Ghost 15.0.
Yes you can Ghost your entire machine then image it to the new drive...but you'll still need the adapter Usb 2.0 to Sata 2.5" show on my previous post. So, you'll not screw the old Hdd one in case the new image fail to boot...
If you use Ghost 15 to "Copy" a clone to an external drive, I don't believe you need any of this gear.
Depend if the drive is free...In case not, it will have to be formated before cloning action.

The drive have to be clean of any files or he will have to part it the same amount "Gb" as the original drive (prefered a little more Gb).

The tool adapter is just handy if you don't have an external drive Free!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Apr 2010   #10
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
The drive have to be clean of any files or he will have to part it the same amount "Gb" as the original drive (prefered a little more Gb).


That is not so. All you need to do is to define a new folder for the clone - but, of course, there must be enough room on the drive to hold the image.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Transfer to new drive?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Transfer to new drive?
Thread Forum
How do I transfer clone of my C drive to new HDD? Backup and Restore
Data transfer from drive c to drive d is slow Network & Sharing
How do I transfer op system to different drive? Installation & Setup
Large Transfer of data between drive c: and drive f: Installation & Setup
Need help with transfer my windows 7 drive to a different drive Backup and Restore
Transfer to new drive. Installation & Setup
Transfer to new hard drive Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33