Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: USB Stick - Formatting Issues

14 Apr 2010   #1
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 
USB Stick - Formatting Issues

Hello everyone,

I have a 32GB USB Stick that I've been having issues with. I can format it, use it, etc. Although as of late, I am unable to format to anything aside from ext3/4, FAT, FAT32, exFAT.

Whenever I attempt to format it to NTFS via Windows, it fails saying it failed (helpful eh?). Whenever I attempt to format it to HFS+ (either on GUID or MBR) via OS X, Disk Utility freezes and fails after a while.

So, what can I do to fix this drive as I'd rather not like to scrap it.

Anymore information is needed, let me know.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Apr 2010   #2
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2010   #3
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
Hello everyone,

I have a 32GB USB Stick that I've been having issues with. I can format it, use it, etc. Although as of late, I am unable to format to anything aside from ext3/4, FAT, FAT32, exFAT.

Whenever I attempt to format it to NTFS via Windows, it fails saying it failed (helpful eh?). Whenever I attempt to format it to HFS+ (either on GUID or MBR) via OS X, Disk Utility freezes and fails after a while.

So, what can I do to fix this drive as I'd rather not like to scrap it.

Anymore information is needed, let me know.

Actually these flash drives are pretty much designed to be used with FAT32 which is how they almost all come out of the factory.

In normal use there should be no reason to ever format a flash drive. Even on the off chance you get an OS that doesn't understand FAT32, you should only ever have to do a format on it once.

My suggestion is that you format it to FAT32 and leave it be.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Apr 2010   #4
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
Oddly, it doesn't even recognize my USB Stick. Only detects my third hard drive (all partitions) as a USB. :s
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2010   #5
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

wierd.

Try via command prompt by typing format X: /FS:NTFS /Q where X is letter of your USB flash drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2010   #6
brianzion

Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 6.01.7600 SP1 (x64)
 
 

hi i had the same problem and was advised that they (flash drives) are not suitable for that format from a western digital representative
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2010   #7
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
Hello everyone,

I have a 32GB USB Stick that I've been having issues with. I can format it, use it, etc. Although as of late, I am unable to format to anything aside from ext3/4, FAT, FAT32, exFAT.

Whenever I attempt to format it to NTFS via Windows, it fails saying it failed (helpful eh?). Whenever I attempt to format it to HFS+ (either on GUID or MBR) via OS X, Disk Utility freezes and fails after a while.

So, what can I do to fix this drive as I'd rather not like to scrap it.

Anymore information is needed, let me know.

Actually these flash drives are pretty much designed to be used with FAT32 which is how they almost all come out of the factory.

In normal use there should be no reason to ever format a flash drive. Even on the off chance you get an OS that doesn't understand FAT32, you should only ever have to do a format on it once.

My suggestion is that you format it to FAT32 and leave it be.
That'd be fine and dandy if I did not 'need' to use it in these partition types. Not so much NTFS, more HFS+.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
wierd.

Try via command prompt by typing format X: /FS:NTFS /Q where X is letter of your USB flash drive.
That only brought me to the USB's directory (essentially equaling cd F:/). DiskPart didn't work either.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by brianzion View Post
hi i had the same problem and was advised that they (flash drives) are not suitable for that format from a western digital representative
Again, a bit odd. This is probably the second out of about 30 I've used in the past 2 years that I've had issues with, with partitioning.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2010   #8
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

Ok, another trick. Format the drive as FAT32 then convert to NTFS. To convert do the following:

In the Command prompt (assuming your USB is volume F: and has the label “gamer”), type the following, then hit Enter:

CONVERT F:gamer /FS:NTFS
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2010   #9
Dark Nova Gamer

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
Ok, another trick. Format the drive as FAT32 then convert to NTFS. To convert do the following:

In the Command prompt (assuming your USB is volume F: and has the label “gamer”), type the following, then hit Enter:

CONVERT F:gamer /FS:NTFS
Results

Code:
C:\Users\Steven>convert E: /FS:NTFS
The type of the file system is FAT32.
Volume Serial Number is 4E47-4DFF
Windows is verifying files and folders...
File and folder verification is complete.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.
   32,750,592 KB total disk space.
   32,750,576 KB are available.

       16,384 bytes in each allocation unit.
    2,046,912 total allocation units on disk.
    2,046,911 allocation units available on disk.

Determining disk space required for file system conversion...
Total disk space:              32766976 KB
Free space on volume:          32750576 KB
Space required for conversion:    99494 KB
Converting file system
Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Apr 2010   #10
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

Hmmm...bad drive, bad sector. Do a chkdsk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 USB Stick - Formatting Issues




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
USB drive formatting back to FAT32 after formatting to NTFS
Last night, I tried to transfer a video file as I've done dozens of times. It didn't work. I tried a second time and realized it was because the file was more than 4GB which FAT32 USB drives will not accept. I successfully formatted the new USB drive to NTFS. My question is can I convert it...
Hardware & Devices
Microsoft Lync, Formatting Issues Sending Paths Between '10 and '13
Hey Guys, I have a weird issue going on with Lync. When someone from Lync 2013 sends an IM with a path such as P:\Project to someone who is using 2010 it comes out as P:\Projects (file:///P:/Projects) . To me this isn't an issue but a user has his preferences and wants it to come out like it...
Microsoft Office
permission issues for some fles and folders after formatting
Iam being shown that you dont have enought permission to acces files or you need admin previlages ..in fact iam admin . having this isse since i formatted my C(windows partition) to backup them i copied them tod drive . after clean install all those files i have copied are of no use they show i...
Performance & Maintenance
Windows 7 installation from USB stick now USB stick not working?!
I am just starting out learning Windows 7. I am reading an ebook by Mclean and Thomas titled “Configuring Windows 7” In chapter 1 regarding installing Windows 7 using a USB source, the procedure to prepare the USB device is as follows: 1. Connect the USB storage device to a computer running...
Installation & Setup
Firefox 4 page layout/formatting issues
Up untill recently, firefox has been working perfectly, then suddenly pages like youtube and facebook have lost their formatting. Then, when signing up to post this question, I found that firefox didnt want to open my emails on hotmail. I have skimmed through the threads and found similar...
Browsers & Mail
Formatting issues in Word
MS Office 2007 on Win 7. Two issues/problems. Every time I open a document, it displays two pages at a time. If I click to show only single page, it shrinks the document to a point where its too small to be readable. The only way I can really view one at a time is if I zoom in to 120%. I...
Microsoft Office

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App