Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: GPU not detected by MOBO

26 Apr 2010   #1

Windows 7 Pro 32Bit
 
 
GPU not detected by MOBO

i was fixing my bros pc as he got a new GT220 GPU for it he has an asus M2A-VM HDMI motherboard but when i pluged the GPU in the pci-e port the fan spins but th ecard itself is not detected is ther away to fix this thanks?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Apr 2010   #2

WIN7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Minimum PSU required for that Graphic card = 450watt

Plus Quad + Gaming case etc
AP 500w - you are right on the edge @ peak power!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2010   #3

Windows 7 Pro 32Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by neo101 View Post
Minimum PSU required for that Graphic card = 450watt

500w - you are right on the edge!
HAY this aint my PC so dont think the specs are myn that im listing i said this is my bros old pc and is completely dif to my specs on show. my pc has an ATI 5770 thank you working fine and 500 is at a top end as well as gt 220 is 350 reccomended.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 Apr 2010   #4

WIN7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pcgamer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by neo101 View Post
Minimum PSU required for that Graphic card = 450watt

500w - you are right on the edge!
HAY this aint my PC so dont think the specs are myn that im listing i said this is my bros old pc and is completely dif to my specs on show. my pc has an ATI 5770 thank you working fine and 500 is at a top end as well as gt 220 is 350 reccomended.
Ahhaa now we get a bit more info!

OK!
Yeh I was looking at your 5770 card = 450 psu min.

Anyway have you tried the old card to see if you have been given a duff one?

How old is PSU?
You poss need around 18-20 amps on 12v rail
Does your version 220 need an Xtra 6 pin plugging in?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2010   #5

Windows 7 Pro 32Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by neo101 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pcgamer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by neo101 View Post
Minimum PSU required for that Graphic card = 450watt

500w - you are right on the edge!
HAY this aint my PC so dont think the specs are myn that im listing i said this is my bros old pc and is completely dif to my specs on show. my pc has an ATI 5770 thank you working fine and 500 is at a top end as well as gt 220 is 350 reccomended.
Ahhaa now we get a bit more info!

OK!
Yeh I was looking at your 5770 card = 450 psu min.

Anyway have you tried the old card to see if you have been given a duff one?

How old is PSU?
You poss need around 18-20 amps on 12v rail
Does your version 220 need an Xtra 6 pin plugging in?
the old psu is 350 and the gpu dont need a dedicated power lead so by rights it should work fine
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2010   #6
Microsoft MVP

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center 64 bit
 
 

I'm on my third BFG 220GT. My first one was DOA, not detected and the fan didn't even spin up. The second one worked for a while but then the fan started to buzz and I got artifacts on screen during game play. I returned it and wasn't going to buy another one but they were on sale at a different retailer so i gave it one more try. I think it's been three months now with no problems. If you can, try it in another PC to see if it's the video card or a motherboard problem. If that motherboard has onboard video make sure you check the BIOS setting so it looks at the PCIe slot first.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2010   #7

Windows 7 Pro 32Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
I'm on my third BFG 220GT. My first one was DOA, not detected and the fan didn't even spin up. The second one worked for a while but then the fan started to buzz and I got artifacts on screen during game play. I returned it and wasn't going to buy another one but they were on sale at a different retailer so i gave it one more try. I think it's been three months now with no problems. If you can, try it in another PC to see if it's the video card or a motherboard problem. If that motherboard has onboard video make sure you check the BIOS setting so it looks at the PCIe slot first.
I have set it to pci-e in bios fan spins up but it does not display an image on screen and its not in device manager
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2010   #8

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pcgamer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
I'm on my third BFG 220GT. My first one was DOA, not detected and the fan didn't even spin up. The second one worked for a while but then the fan started to buzz and I got artifacts on screen during game play. I returned it and wasn't going to buy another one but they were on sale at a different retailer so i gave it one more try. I think it's been three months now with no problems. If you can, try it in another PC to see if it's the video card or a motherboard problem. If that motherboard has onboard video make sure you check the BIOS setting so it looks at the PCIe slot first.
I have set it to pci-e in bios fan spins up but it does not display an image on screen and its not in device manager
Since this is your brothers PC and its a couple of years old he may need to update the motherboard chipset, also since this a PCI Express connection it may not be comatable or may need more power or a pin connection may be damaged.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2010   #9

Windows 7 Pro 32Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pcgamer View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
I'm on my third BFG 220GT. My first one was DOA, not detected and the fan didn't even spin up. The second one worked for a while but then the fan started to buzz and I got artifacts on screen during game play. I returned it and wasn't going to buy another one but they were on sale at a different retailer so i gave it one more try. I think it's been three months now with no problems. If you can, try it in another PC to see if it's the video card or a motherboard problem. If that motherboard has onboard video make sure you check the BIOS setting so it looks at the PCIe slot first.
I have set it to pci-e in bios fan spins up but it does not display an image on screen and its not in device manager
Since this is your brothers PC and its a couple of years old he may need to update the motherboard chipset, also since this a PCI Express connection it may not be comatable or may need more power or a pin connection may be damaged.
I'll try updating his chipset next but i reckon he needs a new MOBO as it is old and it dont say that it is a PCI-E X16 just says PCI-E so may be worth him updating
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2010   #10
Microsoft MVP

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center 64 bit
 
 

Mine didn't show up in device manager either, it didn't show up anywhere. The length of the slot will tell you if its x1, x4, x8 or x16. I think you can put a smaller card in a larger slot but not the other way around. If it's not an x16 slot I don't think the card would fit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 GPU not detected by MOBO




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33