Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: AMD launches six-core desktop chip price war with Intel

27 Apr 2010   #1
JMH

Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. SP1.
 
 
AMD launches six-core desktop chip price war with Intel

Quote:
Advanced Micro Devices is trying to beat Intel on price with its latest six-core desktop Phenom II X6 processors that were unveiled today.

AMD is shipping two X6 processors that are substantially less pricey than Intel's latest six-core Core i7-980XM desktop processor, which was announced last month. The Phenom II X6 1090T processor runs at 3.2GHz and is priced at $295, while the 1055T, which runs at 2.8GHz, is priced at $199. Intel's Core i7-980XM desktop processor is priced at $999, according to a price list on Intel's Web site.

The X6 chips are targeted at gamers and buyers looking for high-performance desktops, said Adam Kozak, platform marketing manager at AMD. The chips are the fastest yet in AMD's desktop processor lineup.
Source -
AMD launches six-core desktop chip price war with Intel - Computerworld


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Apr 2010   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

There we go.....that is typically how AMD competes with Intel on CPU's. It's not usually $50 price differences we are talking about. It's hundreds of dollars. And the Core i7-980x is over $1,000 which is insane Now to start reading the benchmarks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2010   #3

 

TigerDirect has the new 6core 1090T with 50.00 rebate so that makes it 249.00.

This new chip is a nice over clocker, seen a review today where it was stable on air cooling at 4.2
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


27 Apr 2010   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
There we go.....that is typically how AMD competes with Intel on CPU's. It's not usually $50 price differences we are talking about. It's hundreds of dollars. And the Core i7-980x is over $1,000 which is insane Now to start reading the benchmarks.
Doesn't the i7-980x also have 12mb L3 Cache, while the Phenom II X6 has only 6mb L3 Cache?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2010   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
Doesn't the i7-980x also have 12mb L3 Cache, while the Phenom II X6 has only 6mb L3 Cache?
It probably does and AMD expects the Core i7-980x to out perform their chip. But considering that you can get the AMD chip for around $700 LESS than the Intel...I'd be VERY willing to accept a little less performance.

Edit: yes, the Intel has 6 x 256K L2 and 12MB of L3, while the AMD has 6 x 512k L2 and 6MB of L3.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2010   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
Doesn't the i7-980x also have 12mb L3 Cache, while the Phenom II X6 has only 6mb L3 Cache?
It probably does and AMD expects the Core i7-980x to out perform their chip. But considering that you can get the AMD chip for around $700 LESS than the Intel...I'd be VERY willing to accept a little less performance.
Oh of course. Everyone that builds computers should be (if not already) well aware that AMD is for cheaper prices while still getting good performance, and Intel is for great performance but at a cost.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2010   #7

Windows 8.1 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
There we go.....that is typically how AMD competes with Intel on CPU's. It's not usually $50 price differences we are talking about. It's hundreds of dollars. And the Core i7-980x is over $1,000 which is insane Now to start reading the benchmarks.
It pretty much just performs against Intels and falls in place like AMD processors have been doing previously with Phenoms. There are a few places where the x6 doesn't scale that well against an x4 965 too, but I guess the lack of added cache over an x4 is the problem.

But still, it's still a nice price for a hexacore CPU if you're running AMD processors.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2010   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
Oh of course. Everyone that builds computers should be (if not already) well aware that AMD is for cheaper prices while still getting good performance, and Intel is for great performance but at a cost.
Right, but lately the Athlon X4's haven't been as fast as the Intel CPU's, nor have them been significantly cheaper either. Sure, they are cheaper...but comparatively speaking, it's been 25-33% cheaper. However in this case, it's much, much, much, cheaper. It's been awhile since AMD has done something like this, at this significant of a difference.

Now the question is whether the $300 6 core AMD out paces the quad core Intel i7's or the i5's and nearly the same price point.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2010   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate, OS X 10.7, Ubuntu 11.04
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
Oh of course. Everyone that builds computers should be (if not already) well aware that AMD is for cheaper prices while still getting good performance, and Intel is for great performance but at a cost.
Right, but lately the Athlon X4's haven't been as fast as the Intel CPU's, nor have them been significantly cheaper either. Sure, they are cheaper...but comparatively speaking, it's been 25-33% cheaper. However in this case, it's much, much, much, cheaper. It's been awhile since AMD has done something like this, at this significant of a difference.

Now the question is whether the $300 6 core AMD out paces the quad core Intel i7's or the i5's and nearly the same price point.
While you can compare the price of Intel and AMD CPU's. You need to consider the motherboard cost for either one as well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2010   #10

Windows 8.1 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkNovaGamer View Post
Oh of course. Everyone that builds computers should be (if not already) well aware that AMD is for cheaper prices while still getting good performance, and Intel is for great performance but at a cost.

Now the question is whether the $300 6 core AMD out paces the quad core Intel i7's or the i5's and nearly the same price point.
They don't, according to benchmarks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 AMD launches six-core desktop chip price war with Intel




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33