Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Pointer Behaving Erratically

02 May 2010   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 
Pointer Behaving Erratically

Unsure if this is a hardware or a software fault.
Recently the pointer on my laptop has either been freezing, (like lagging but for longer), or it's precision has been way off as it moves around uncontrollably.

I have tried updating the Synaptics Pointing Device drivers but all to no effect.

This problem at the moment seems to be an intermittent one and I can just about live with it but if there is something relatively simple behind this problem, I would rather get it sorted.
Thanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 May 2010   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alkie View Post
Unsure if this is a hardware or a software fault.
Recently the pointer on my laptop has either been freezing, (like lagging but for longer), or it's precision has been way off as it moves around uncontrollably.

I have tried updating the Synaptics Pointing Device drivers but all to no effect.

This problem at the moment seems to be an intermittent one and I can just about live with it but if there is something relatively simple behind this problem, I would rather get it sorted.
Thanks
This is a pretty simple one actually.

If it doesn't do it when you use an external mouse, your touchpad is going out to pasture.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Although it wasn't particularly what I wanted hear, as using an external mouse on a laptop will be a real pain, (the way I use it anyway ), thanks for your input anyway jelyman,
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


03 May 2010   #4

win 7 ultimate32bit, Win8.1pro wmc 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alkie View Post
Although it wasn't particularly what I wanted hear, as using an external mouse on a laptop will be a real pain, (the way I use it anyway ), thanks for your input anyway jelyman,
if you feel confident enough and you are sure that the touchpad is on the way out why not replace the touchpad, a quick search on Ebay brings up many for a variety of laptops
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2010   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pebbly View Post
if you feel confident enough and you are sure that the touchpad is on the way out why not replace the touchpad, a quick search on Ebay brings up many for a variety of laptops
Thanks mate, in the end if it all goes south, then I might just do that pebbly but I am hoping that I can get away with it for a little longer yet. I have been using the laptop for over an hour now and no signs of my intermittent prob yet!!

Does anyone know if there is much to replacing a touchpad, I am reasonably useful around a desktop pc, although I don't have much experience "gutting out" laptops
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2010   #6

win 7 ultimate32bit, Win8.1pro wmc 32bit
 
 

its quite easy really ,remove keyboard, remove topcover undo screws retaining touch pad remove touchpad ribbon cable fit new touchpad and reassemble have a look on tosh's site see if they have a service manual for your model
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2010   #7

Vista 64 Ultimate, Windows 7 64 Ultimate, Ubuntu 9.10
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2010   #8

win 7 ultimate32bit, Win8.1pro wmc 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fishnbanjo View Post
good link fishnbanjo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2010   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fishnbanjo View Post
Cheers FnB
Really helpful if the worst comes to the worst

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pebbly View Post
its quite easy really ,remove keyboard, remove topcover undo screws retaining touch pad remove touchpad ribbon cable fit new touchpad and reassemble have a look on tosh's site see if they have a service manual for your model
BTW, pebbly are you a county or forrest gal?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 May 2010   #10

win 7 ultimate32bit, Win8.1pro wmc 32bit
 
 

got to be Forest
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Pointer Behaving Erratically




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Pointer Behaving Erratically
Thread Forum
Facebook Loads Erratically Browsers & Mail
Solved Suddenly, VSS mis-behaving Backup and Restore
Solved Windows 7 Behaving like alt is held down. General Discussion
Behaving like key/button is stuck! General Discussion
how to make WMC behaving as well as VLC Media Center
CHKDSK comes erratically at start up Performance & Maintenance
Mouse acting erratically coming out of sleep (keyboard issue) Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33