Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Unable to install any USB devices

01 Mar 2012   #11

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 
Didnt work for me

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Difusal View Post
Hey there! I had this same problem too! untill a while ago! It's very frustrating! I spent days on it! So, I will make your job easy by telling how to solve this. This was the way it worked for me!

Here's the solution for the ones who might have this problem:
This worked for me in Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit!
You must have all administrator privileges!

1- Open Windows Explorer

2- Go to C:/Windows/System32/DriverStore

You will have a couple of folders and files.
You will have *.dat files and other file named: infcache.1

3- Right click every file (dont touch the folders!) and choose properties.

4- go to security tab

5- click Edit

6- choose your account and check the box: full control (see ss)

7- Click ok.

8- Repeat to every file

9- Select all the files (*.dat and infcache.1)

10- Press shift+del

11- Press OK.

12- Now, go to C:Windows/System32/Driver Store/File Repository/

13- Search for folder named usbstor.inf

14- Open it (if you have more than one, choose the most recent)

15- Copy "usbstor.inf" and "usbstor.PNF"

16- Paste those two files to C:/Windows/inf

17- Reboot your pc and voilla! :b

If Windows doesnt install them automatically go to device manager, uninstall all unknown devices and the ones with the yellow exclamation mark, then click in "check to see if there is any hardware changes"

Now, Windows will install all your hardware successfully :b



Did it work?
This didnt work for me any other solutions im trying to install a wireless mouse that was working fine,until one day it stopped working ..i changed batteries downloaded software nothing is working. It was detecting it but wouldnt install drivers (Unable to install drivers message). Now its not even picking up the mouse,I also tried it on my girlfriends laptop and it worked quick..USB ports are picking up android phone..please help me..........................

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Jul 2012   #12

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Like many of the others here, I joined ONLY to say "Thanks" to you, Difusal. This one has been bugging me for a while and I had simply resigned myself to having to reinstall the operating system. I don't know how many attempts at a solution I've read on this one, and the only one that worked perfectly, the first time, was yours. No idea how you figured that one out, but THANK YOU - VERY MUCH! -- Chuck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Aug 2012   #13

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Thx 4 yr contribution, pal
Long live POrtugal!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Nov 2012   #14

windows 7 professional
 
 
Unable to install any USB devices

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Difusal View Post
Hey there! I had this same problem too! untill a while ago! It's very frustrating! I spent days on it! So, I will make your job easy by telling how to solve this. This was the way it worked for me!

Here's the solution for the ones who might have this problem:
This worked for me in Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit!
You must have all administrator privileges!


1- Open Windows Explorer

2- Go to C:/Windows/System32/DriverStore

You will have a couple of folders and files.
You will have *.dat files and other file named: infcache.1

3- Right click every file (dont touch the folders!) and choose properties.

4- go to security tab

5- click Edit

6- choose your account and check the box: full control (see ss)

7- Click ok.

8- Repeat to every file

9- Select all the files (*.dat and infcache.1)

10- Press shift+del

11- Press OK.

12- Now, go to C:Windows/System32/Driver Store/File Repository/

13- Search for folder named usbstor.inf

14- Open it (if you have more than one, choose the most recent)

15- Copy "usbstor.inf" and "usbstor.PNF"

16- Paste those two files to C:/Windows/inf

17- Reboot your pc and voilla! :b

If Windows doesnt install them automatically go to device manager, uninstall all unknown devices and the ones with the yellow exclamation mark, then click in "check to see if there is any hardware changes"

Now, Windows will install all your hardware successfully :b



Did it work?
Hi Difusal

Thanks for one solution but unfortunately it didn't worked for me.
can you please provide any other solution or work around if u hav for the same problem

thanks in advance

Jitendra.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Dec 2012   #15

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tikudiajitendra View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Difusal View Post
Hey there! I had this same problem too! untill a while ago! It's very frustrating! I spent days on it! So, I will make your job easy by telling how to solve this. This was the way it worked for me!

Here's the solution for the ones who might have this problem:
This worked for me in Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit!
You must have all administrator privileges!


1- Open Windows Explorer

2- Go to C:/Windows/System32/DriverStore

You will have a couple of folders and files.
You will have *.dat files and other file named: infcache.1

3- Right click every file (dont touch the folders!) and choose properties.

4- go to security tab

5- click Edit

6- choose your account and check the box: full control (see ss)

7- Click ok.

8- Repeat to every file

9- Select all the files (*.dat and infcache.1)

10- Press shift+del

11- Press OK.

12- Now, go to C:Windows/System32/Driver Store/File Repository/

13- Search for folder named usbstor.inf

14- Open it (if you have more than one, choose the most recent)

15- Copy "usbstor.inf" and "usbstor.PNF"

16- Paste those two files to C:/Windows/inf

17- Reboot your pc and voilla! :b

If Windows doesnt install them automatically go to device manager, uninstall all unknown devices and the ones with the yellow exclamation mark, then click in "check to see if there is any hardware changes"

Now, Windows will install all your hardware successfully :b



Did it work?
Hi Difusal

Thanks for one solution but unfortunately it didn't worked for me.
can you please provide any other solution or work around if u hav for the same problem

thanks in advance

Jitendra.
I haven't had any problems with windows 7 since I did this I now use windows 8 but I used 7 until last month. Just try to do it again and make sure you do every single step hope this helps ya
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2012   #16

windows 7 professional 32 bit
 
 

i have a similar prob. the only difference is that i am already using a usb mouse whose left click button is creating problems. i replaced it with a logitech m90 usb mouse. now i am not able to install the new usb mouse on my pc. the older mouse is working fine. i tried all the usb ports on my pc, still the same. windows update just doesnt install the driver for it. pls help.

thanks in advance.
Apoorv
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2012   #17

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by apoorv90 View Post
i have a similar prob. the only difference is that i am already using a usb mouse whose left click button is creating problems. i replaced it with a logitech m90 usb mouse. now i am not able to install the new usb mouse on my pc. the older mouse is working fine. i tried all the usb ports on my pc, still the same. windows update just doesnt install the driver for it. pls help.

thanks in advance.
Apoorv
have you done what I described in the original post?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2012   #18

windows 7 professional 32 bit
 
 

yeah i did.. but that didnt help as the old usb mouse i m using is still working. also i took the mouse back to the vendor, he connected it to his pc and it worked fine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Dec 2012   #19

WIN 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Difusal View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tikudiajitendra View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Difusal View Post
Hey there! I had this same problem too! untill a while ago! It's very frustrating! I spent days on it! So, I will make your job easy by telling how to solve this. This was the way it worked for me!

Here's the solution for the ones who might have this problem:
This worked for me in Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit!
You must have all administrator privileges!


1- Open Windows Explorer

2- Go to C:/Windows/System32/DriverStore

You will have a couple of folders and files.
You will have *.dat files and other file named: infcache.1

3- Right click every file (dont touch the folders!) and choose properties.

4- go to security tab

5- click Edit

6- choose your account and check the box: full control (see ss)

7- Click ok.

8- Repeat to every file

9- Select all the files (*.dat and infcache.1)

10- Press shift+del

11- Press OK.

12- Now, go to C:Windows/System32/Driver Store/File Repository/

13- Search for folder named usbstor.inf

14- Open it (if you have more than one, choose the most recent)

15- Copy "usbstor.inf" and "usbstor.PNF"

16- Paste those two files to C:/Windows/inf

17- Reboot your pc and voilla! :b

If Windows doesnt install them automatically go to device manager, uninstall all unknown devices and the ones with the yellow exclamation mark, then click in "check to see if there is any hardware changes"

Now, Windows will install all your hardware successfully :b



Did it work?
Hi Difusal

Thanks for one solution but unfortunately it didn't worked for me.
can you please provide any other solution or work around if u hav for the same problem

thanks in advance

Jitendra.
I haven't had any problems with windows 7 since I did this I now use windows 8 but I used 7 until last month. Just try to do it again and make sure you do every single step hope this helps ya
I am having same problem and have carefully followed your steps as outlined now two separate times. I also did a cmd line tool to find orphaned drivers and devices and removed them all before a third unsuccessful attempt at your fix. boooooo. I am stumped and at my wit's end. This all started near the same time as a failed install of my cellphone drivers. I uninstalled those but had no further need of either phone or usb devices, so no problem noted afterward. The beginning of this recent issue is due to my Microsoft Mouse (an older usb cabled mouse) right click button failing to work. I bought a new wireless mouse and keyboard to install and now get the failed to install warning. All other efforts to fix have ultimately led me here.
Thoroughly stumped. I can uninstall my old mouse, and it will reinstall correctly. Nothing new will. The new Mouse/USB button/Keyboard install just fine on my other PC running WIN XP.
Thanks for any ideas
????

edit: the link to the cmd line tool (sic) is included for clarification of what I did there: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...-from-windows/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2012   #20

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mtbmed View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Difusal View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tikudiajitendra View Post

Hi Difusal

Thanks for one solution but unfortunately it didn't worked for me.
can you please provide any other solution or work around if u hav for the same problem

thanks in advance

Jitendra.
I haven't had any problems with windows 7 since I did this I now use windows 8 but I used 7 until last month. Just try to do it again and make sure you do every single step hope this helps ya
I am having same problem and have carefully followed your steps as outlined now two separate times. I also did a cmd line tool to find orphaned drivers and devices and removed them all before a third unsuccessful attempt at your fix. boooooo. I am stumped and at my wit's end. This all started near the same time as a failed install of my cellphone drivers. I uninstalled those but had no further need of either phone or usb devices, so no problem noted afterward. The beginning of this recent issue is due to my Microsoft Mouse (an older usb cabled mouse) right click button failing to work. I bought a new wireless mouse and keyboard to install and now get the failed to install warning. All other efforts to fix have ultimately led me here.
Thoroughly stumped. I can uninstall my old mouse, and it will reinstall correctly. Nothing new will. The new Mouse/USB button/Keyboard install just fine on my other PC running WIN XP.
Thanks for any ideas
????

edit: the link to the cmd line tool (sic) is included for clarification of what I did there: How To Easily Remove Old Drivers from Windows
Well, I would advise you to open a cmd prompt as admin, and run "sfc /scannow". Let it run and reboot. Sometimes this works like a charm. If it doesn't work, maybe I would tell you to grab the windows 7 installation disk and try to use one of the repair tools. After all that and since we aren't going anywhere, the last option would be reinstall everything: backup your files, format, clean install and that will for sure remove any existing problems. You could install windows 8 though, it's much much better than 7, all the drivers are automatically installed just perfectly!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Unable to install any USB devices





Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33