Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 127 GB limit for external USB hard drive

02 Jun 2010   #1
pvc

Windows 7
 
 
127 GB limit for external USB hard drive

I have a USB external harddrive:
Generic case
WD 180 GB jumper=master, format=NTFS, capacity = 149 GB
It works fine.

I tried to switch to a larger USB external harddrive:
WD 250 GB jumper=master, format=NTFS

It wouldn’t recognize the 250 GB drive as jumper=master, it did recognise the drive with jumper=CS. Though it would only let me format as NTFS and only at 127 GB.

How can I get Windows 7 to use the more that 127 GB of the 250 GB Western Digital WD2500JB Cavier drive?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
02 Jun 2010   #2
mpcrsc562

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pvc View Post
I have a USB external harddrive:
Generic case
WD 180 GB jumper=master, format=NTFS, capacity = 149 GB
It works fine.

I tried to switch to a larger USB external harddrive:
WD 250 GB jumper=master, format=NTFS

It wouldn’t recognize the 250 GB drive as jumper=master, it did recognise the drive with jumper=CS. Though it would only let me format as NTFS and only at 127 GB.

How can I get Windows 7 to use the more that 127 GB of the 250 GB Western Digital WD2500JB Cavier drive?
You have the hard drive installed in an external enclosure? If that is what you are stating, then check the specs on the enclosure to make sure it can handle drives over a certain capacity.

I have a cheap SATA to USB enclosure I bought from CompUSA before they folded and on the box it stated plainly that it would only support drives under 500GB. Your enclosure may have a similar limitation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2010   #3
pvc

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mpcrsc562 View Post
You have the hard drive installed in an external enclosure? If that is what you are stating, then check the specs on the enclosure to make sure it can handle drives over a certain capacity.

I have a cheap SATA to USB enclosure I bought from CompUSA before they folded and on the box it stated plainly that it would only support drives under 500GB. Your enclosure may have a similar limitation.
Yes, external enclosure. Yes it can handle over 127 GB because my current *WORKING* 180 GB is over 127 GB.

When I put the new 250 GB in the external case it says I must format it. It will only allow formatting NTFS (Not Fat32). And unfortunately the maximum is set to 127 GB in a pull-down menu that contains 127 GB as the only choice.

Oh, I have no specs or model # for this generic external enclosure.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Jun 2010   #4
mpcrsc562

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

The controller in the enclosure might have a limitation on the drive size, say 200GB. So, 180 is less than 200, but 250 is more than 200, so the 250 drive might not be fully utilized (or in some cases, might not work at all).

Try this: install the drive in your pc, format it and create a volume on it, shutdown you pc and remove the drive, then install it in the enclosure.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2010   #5
pvc

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mpcrsc562 View Post
The controller in the enclosure might have a limitation on the drive size, say 200GB. So, 180 is less than 200, but 250 is more than 200, so the 250 drive might not be fully utilized (or in some cases, might not work at all).

Try this: install the drive in your pc, format it and create a volume on it, shutdown you pc and remove the drive, then install it in the enclosure.
Yep, I think you might be right. My generic enclosure is the limitation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2010   #6
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

You can try this:

Please note you need to be very very careful and pick the right drive! You will delete everything on the drive!

My code assumes your drive is DISK 1 yours may be different.

Open an elevated Command Prompt:

Code:
diskpart <enter>
list disk <enter>
select disk 1 <enter>  <-- Make sure this is the correct drive!!!!!
detail disk <enter>    <-- Make sure this is the correct drive!!!!!
clean all <enter>
create partition <enter>
format fs=ntfs <enter>
assign <enter>
exit <enter>
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 127 GB limit for external USB hard drive




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Best external to external hard drive synchronized backup plan?
So I want to clone one external 2TB with another. So one drive is the main use one and another the backup one. So I copy everything over to backup and i store the backup at another house and then I start using the main: deleting and adding/editing files. What is the best software or whatever to...
Hardware & Devices
Samsung s2 external hard drive not loading showing local disk F drive
I have a Samsung s2 1tb external hard drive. Today when I hooked it up to my laptop it would not load. It will shows local F drive when it usually will say samsung Drive. A pop up box will then appear stating "you need to format drive" I know if I reformat it I will lose all my data which...
Hardware & Devices
External Hard Drive - Drive Letter changed - unable to change back
I have a USB external hard drive that I keep all my documents etc on (had it for years) I upgraded from Vista Home to & Home Premium then had to upgrade recently to Professional to run my Sage. Through all these upgrades my ext. drive ran fine. Occasionally the drvie letter would change if I...
Hardware & Devices
how to make your internal hard drive into and external hard drive ?
I have an internal hard disk not in use ,and I would like to make it as external disk ! I looked on the net and I found I should have the " encelsure " butt I think I wont find it here in my city . So is there another way ? like usb -esata cable ?
Hardware & Devices
Internal Hard Drive acting like an External Hard Drive
Hi guys, I'm new on any sort of forums so go easy if it's a stupid question..but here goes. Me and my brother built me a new computer from scratch (he did the building - i did the watching). To cut a long story short - I purchased an internal hard drive from Overclockers UK. It's a Samsung...
Hardware & Devices
Limit on number of external hard drives?
Does Windows 7 have a limit on how many USB external hard drives it will use? We have 5 WD My Book 1TB drives; 4 of them are recognized and work just fine with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 (which we recently did a clean install of to replace Vista Home Premium 64), but the 5th one doesn't show up...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:51.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App