Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: CPU fan not spinning

23 Jun 2010   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Build 7600
 
 
CPU fan not spinning

I've recently purchased an Asus P5G41T-M LX motherboard. I got an intel E6500 CPU for it. When i got it all set up, and turned it on, the BIOS alerted me with a CPU fan error. I opened the case and saw that while the chassis fan was working at full speed, the cpu fan was not so much as twitching. All the connections seem secure. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Jun 2010   #2

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

Simple...If the CPU fan isn't working, double check the connections, or replace it. DO NOT RUN THE PC WITHOUT THE CPU FAN WORKING!!!

Sorry for the caps, but you need to know this is dangerous to your CPU's life.

Bottom line... replace the fan/CPU cooler if it's not working.

Good luck.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jun 2010   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Build 7600
 
 

Thanks, and I understand where you're coming from. However I did manage to run speedfan on it, and it said the CPU was at 38 degrees celcius! This was when it was clocked at 1.6GHz. The fan does come with a respectable heatsink, and speedfan clocked the chassis fan at 2700rpm i think. I didn't have any intention of using the pc much until I got a hold of the graphics card I'm eyeing up, and I was planning on getting a bigger and better fan and heatsink anyway.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


23 Jun 2010   #4

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

So the fan works right now? If so let us know so we can close this case.

Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jun 2010   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Build 7600
 
 

No, the fan still doesn't work, though it seems strangely safe without it. However I think I will end up replacing it, so sure close the case
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2010   #6

Windows 8.1 Pro
 
 

I can't close it, either you or a mod can.

At any rate If you still have the issue then this thread needs to stay open. I was just confused by your last post when you said...

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SkinyJim View Post
However I did manage to run speedfan on it, and it said the CPU was at 38 degrees celcius!
That says the fan is running since there's no way you're going to get that type of temp without the CPU fan running. You might get 138 degrees celsius reading!!!

In fact I'm still confused because you wouldn't be able to boot into windows because the CPU would overheat before that without a "working" CPU fan.

So the fact that you got into Windows AND ran Speedfan says the CPU fan IS working!

Please clearify

Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2010   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
I can't close it, either you or a mod can.

At any rate If you still have the issue then this thread needs to stay open. I was just confused by your last post when you said...

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SkinyJim View Post
However I did manage to run speedfan on it, and it said the CPU was at 38 degrees celcius!
That says the fan is running since there's no way you're going to get that type of temp without the CPU fan running. You might get 138 degrees celsius reading!!!

In fact I'm still confused because you wouldn't be able to boot into windows because the CPU would overheat before that without a "working" CPU fan.

So the fact that you got into Windows AND ran Speedfan says the CPU fan IS working!

Please clearify

Thanks.
Speedfan is a temperature monitoring software.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2010   #8

7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kurahk7 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
I can't close it, either you or a mod can.

At any rate If you still have the issue then this thread needs to stay open. I was just confused by your last post when you said...

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SkinyJim View Post
However I did manage to run speedfan on it, and it said the CPU was at 38 degrees celcius!
That says the fan is running since there's no way you're going to get that type of temp without the CPU fan running. You might get 138 degrees celsius reading!!!

In fact I'm still confused because you wouldn't be able to boot into windows because the CPU would overheat before that without a "working" CPU fan.

So the fact that you got into Windows AND ran Speedfan says the CPU fan IS working!

Please clearify

Thanks.
Speedfan is a temperature monitoring software.
you don't say?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2010   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Build 7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post
So the fact that you got into Windows AND ran Speedfan says the CPU fan IS working!
I would have thought that too. But I opened the chassis and looked (no touching, don't panic) at the cpu fan and it was not moving a bit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2010   #10

7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Either the fan is bad, or the cpu fan connector on the board is bad. You sure you've got it on right? I would triple check it. If that fails, there's another 3 pin connector just to the left of the northbridge on your board. If the wire from your fan can stretch that far, try that one out; this will let you know if it's the fan or the board.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 CPU fan not spinning





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: CPU fan not spinning
Thread Forum
Spinning cursor won't go away Performance & Maintenance
Hardisk spinning down Hardware & Devices
SSD + Spinning Drive? Hardware & Devices
CPU fan not spinning Hardware & Devices
CD Drive Spinning Hardware & Devices
HDD spinning delay Performance & Maintenance
hdd constantly spinning Performance & Maintenance

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33