Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: USB Wireless Adapter (AWUS036H) Can't Connect

29 Jun 2010   #1
bamowo

Win7x64 Ult.
 
 
USB Wireless Adapter (AWUS036H) Can't Connect

Hi,

I have an interesting issue that I'm wondering if anyone can set me straight on. To preface, I am computer literate. I am not asking for basic step by step instructions here.

I installed the Alfa AWUS036H 802.11b/g wireless adapter. Initially, I used the drivers contained on the included CD for my OS (Win7 x64 Ultimate). The drivers installed correctly according to the feedback I was given. From there, I was immediately able to see the available networks through the Windows wireless function as no third party utility was installed. However, I could not connect to any of the wireless networks that I have the credentials for (2 different networks). One is an open network, and one is WEP. It could not connect to either, I verified my credentials were correct as well.

At this point, I tried the adapter on another computer running WinXP (32 bit), the corresponding winxp drivers were used and I was able to see AND connect to these two networks. Therefore, I verified that the adapter is not defective.

After this, I went online and downloaded the most recent drivers. Uninstalled the previously installed drivers and installed the new package two separate ways. Way 1: Installed only the drivers and tried with Windows managing the connection. Didn't work. Way 2: Uninstalled drivers and reinstalled complete package which included Realtek wireless utility. Again, able to see the networks but not able to connect to any.

I am at a loss at this point as to what may be the problem. I have never installed a wireless adapter to this computer before but do not have another usb adapter to try on it to verify it's not a function of the system/OS itself.

Has anyone had similar issues or could help me troubleshoot?

Thanks.

EDIT: Added breaks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Jun 2010   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bamowo View Post
Hi, I have an interesting issue that I'm wondering if anyone can set me straight on. To preface, I am computer literate. I am not asking for basic step by step instructions here. I installed the Alfa AWUS036H 802.11b/g wireless adapter. Initially, I used the drivers contained on the included CD for my OS (Win7 x64 Ultimate). The drivers installed correctly according to the feedback I was given. From there, I was immediately able to see the available networks through the Windows wireless function as no third party utility was installed. However, I could not connect to any of the wireless networks that I have the credentials for (2 different networks). One is an open network, and one is WEP. It could not connect to either, I verified my credentials were correct as well. At this point, I tried the adapter on another computer running WinXP (32 bit), the corresponding winxp drivers were used and I was able to see AND connect to these two networks. Therefore, I verified that the adapter is not defective. After this, I went online and downloaded the most recent drivers. Uninstalled the previously installed drivers and installed the new package two separate ways. Way 1: Installed only the drivers and tried with Windows managing the connection. Didn't work. Way 2: Uninstalled drivers and reinstalled complete package which included Realtek wireless utility. Again, able to see the networks but not able to connect to any. I am at a loss at this point as to what may be the problem. I have never installed a wireless adapter to this computer before but do not have another usb adapter to try on it to verify it's not a function of the system/OS itself. Has anyone had similar issues or could help me troubleshoot? Thanks.

Great first post.

Are you by chance using "homegroup"? sometimes (on some systems) homegroup has connectivity issues. It uses IPv6 and that gives some hardware (esp 64 bit and older hardware) fits. You can check by creating a new network connection using "workgroup".

Let us know if you need help

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2010   #3
bamowo

Win7x64 Ult.
 
 

I will check this when I get home. I did look into disabling homegroup when I googled for a solution initially, what came back didn't help though because in the Network and Sharing Center there is no Homegroup listed. I believe, recalling from memory, that there is an option to join a Homegroup but it reported that I could not because I was not in a Home/Work location but in a Public location. I must've set this location originally but it is no longer correct as I am using the computer at Home. From this point, I couldn't figure out how to change my network location because it seemed like I had to be connected to a network to do so...

Regardless, I will try this and report back. Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


29 Jun 2010   #4
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bamowo View Post
I will check this when I get home. I did look into disabling homegroup when I googled for a solution initially, what came back didn't help though because in the Network and Sharing Center there is no Homegroup listed. I believe, recalling from memory, that there is an option to join a Homegroup but it reported that I could not because I was not in a Home/Work location but in a Public location. I must've set this location originally but it is no longer correct as I am using the computer at Home. From this point, I couldn't figure out how to change my network location because it seemed like I had to be connected to a network to do so...

Regardless, I will try this and report back. Thanks.
You can check by typing cmd in search then ipconfig /all. If there is an IPv6 address that is the problem.

ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Jun 2010   #5
bamowo

Win7x64 Ult.
 
 
aaaggh!

Ken,

This screenshot shows what I see. I disabled IPv6 via two ways, first just unchecking it in the adapter protocols, then using the registry (Disable & Turn Off IPv6 in Windows Vista, windows 7 | Best Tutorials, Tips, Tricks For You). Neither has helped. I didn't forget to reboot either.

As you can see, I can see plenty of APs but can't connect to anything. I was convinced when looking more into IPv6 and homegroup issues that that was my issue... until I got home and tried it. Didn't work.

Also, your first comment about connecting through a "workgroup" vs. a "homegroup," can you elaborate? I can't find that.


Attached Thumbnails
-untitled.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jul 2010   #6
bamowo

Win7x64 Ult.
 
 

bump.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jul 2010   #7
fishnbanjo

Vista 64 Ultimate, Windows 7 64 Ultimate, Ubuntu 9.10
 
 

One thing I would try is if you have an Ethernet adapter in the PC and a Ethernet Cable that can reach the router try connecting it and see if it resolves, I'm 100% sure it will. After it resolves have the wireless try again and see what happens, I'm guessing it will resolve and when you remove the Ethernet cable it will continue to work, this is known as a lazy wireless connection and can often eliminate many days of frustration, had a DELL XPS 600 that did this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jul 2010   #8
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fishnbanjo View Post
One thing I would try is if you have an Ethernet adapter in the PC and a Ethernet Cable that can reach the router try connecting it and see if it resolves, I'm 100% sure it will. After it resolves have the wireless try again and see what happens, I'm guessing it will resolve and when you remove the Ethernet cable it will continue to work, this is known as a lazy wireless connection and can often eliminate many days of frustration, had a DELL XPS 600 that did this.
I do agree, the first time i activated Windows 7 rtm, i had a hell time to connect to the wireless network. I used instead an ethernet cable and after few times (looks like it tooks me half a day),the wireless hooked the network.

Might help for Workgroup settings:
Workgroup Name - View and Change
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Nov 2010   #9
kapaluy

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 
Similar situation

I have contacted Alfa Networks, downloaded, installed the latest driver/utility, disabled the HP Wireless assistant and but still cannot connect (but can see APS) . BTW, I am in workgroup and BIOS was updated two months ago. Thanks for any suggestions
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jun 2012   #10
shysoul64

windows 7
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 USB Wireless Adapter (AWUS036H) Can't Connect




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
AWUS036H adapter can't find specific network but inbuilt adapter can
Hello I have my AWUS036H for a few months now and it worked perfect until now. My landlord has a router in his appartment and I need to connect to that router to get access to the internet. I bought this adapter for a better signal but this week I got a very weird problem. My adapter can find...
Network & Sharing
wireless adapter won't connect to new router
Hey I have a new problem. I got a new computer with Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6200 AGN wireless card and it will connect fine to my old router, but I upgraded to a dlink and when I go to connect it says no internet access. So I upgraded my driver and it still didn't work. I thought maybe...
Network & Sharing
ALFA AWUS036H usb Adapter REFUSES completely to connect
SOLVED! By me, please see page 2! OK, This is my first post, so go easy on me..! I have a Sony VPCEC2S0E laptop which is less than a year old. I have spent DAYS trying to get the ALFA adapter to work, I have searched the net, and in particular the forums, including this one, and I have...
Network & Sharing
How to connect to two WLANs with one wireless adapter??
I have seached everywhere trying to find instructions on how to connect to two WLANs with one wireless network adapter but I haven't been able to find anything. Apparently this is possible using the Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter - but how? The reason is that I have two WLANs - one is a router...
Network & Sharing
Wireless adapter does not connect
Hello, I have a laptop (HP Compaq cq62) with Windows 7 64 bit and I have a strange problem with my wireless adapter. When I close the lid the laptop goes into sleep mode. When I open the lid and log in on my laptop, the wireless adapter can not find any routers. I have to go to my network...
Network & Sharing
Soldier requests some help with Alfa AWUS036H wireless adapter
I bought this adapter as a way to stay connected to family back home during this deployment but I am having some issues getting it to work. I installed step for step how the installation cd told me to and I even went online and downloaded the latest driver. I am using Window 7 x64 on this new HP...
Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App