Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Have to rescan drives almost all the time

13 Jul 2010   #1
Kraut55

WIN 7
 
 
Have to rescan drives almost all the time

Win 7, 3 SATA drives, 1 IDE drive, no restore points available

Since about 2 weeks I have to refresh/rescan my HDs almost every time I boot. Unfortunately there is no pattern. Occasionally all partitions can be seen then there are times where I have to rescan using the Disk Management.
Right now I am even using a batch file on my desktop to avoid having to go through all the clicks.

Any ideas what could have caused this problem and how to fix it?

Thanks.
Kraut55


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Jul 2010   #2
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

I suggest a system restore to get to a point before the troubles began.

Do you have to rescan the disks when doing a reboot, or just when it comes out of sleep or hibernate?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #3
Kraut55

WIN 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonathan_King View Post
I suggest a system restore
as mentioned, not available.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jonathan_King View Post
Do you have to rescan the disks when doing a reboot, or just when it comes out of sleep or hibernate?
only after reboot
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 Nov 2010   #4
bmb2200

windows 7
 
 

I am having the same exact problem. Did you ever get resolution to this issue? I attempted to install RAID drivers ater installing the OS and never got it to work - which I now know is no surpise as this is not recmmended. I am wondering if the fact that I need to rescan after every reboot is from this. Also, in the mean time, can you share your batch file so I don't have to do it manually?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2010   #5
Jonathan_King

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bmb2200 View Post
I am having the same exact problem. Did you ever get resolution to this issue? I attempted to install RAID drivers ater installing the OS and never got it to work - which I now know is no surpise as this is not recmmended. I am wondering if the fact that I need to rescan after every reboot is from this. Also, in the mean time, can you share your batch file so I don't have to do it manually?
Hello,

Could you provide us with your system specs? At the very least, we need your motherboard/chipset and computer model. If you can only get 1 of those, that's fine.

Attached is a batch file I found that will rescan the disks. Hopefully we can find a solution though.


Attached Files
File Type: bat RESCAN.bat (22 Bytes, 230 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2012   #6
Abubakar

Windows 8 Pro x 64
 
 

==============================================================================
How to make the taskbar battery icon to appear each time you boot the computer in Window 8. This applies to other devices that refuse to show until you use "scan for hardware changes" in Device manager:
==============================================================================
1. Download DevCon.exe from Microsoft:
The DevCon command-line utility functions as an alternative to Device Manager
2. Extract the files. U will find 2 folders:
"i386" is for 32-bit system
"ia64" is for 64-bit system, however if you are using Windows8 it will not work and you will have to use the "i386" folder content.
Note that each of the 2 folders contains a file of the same name: "DevCon.exe". Extract the one that works for you to either of these directories:
C:\Windows\System32
C:\Windows\
After copying right click on the devcon.exe and select "Creat shortcut"
3. Go to the shortcut on the desktop and right click it to select properties
4. Change the "Target:" to:
C:\Windows\System32\devcon.exe /rescan or
C:\Windows\devcon.exe /rescan
depending on where you copied the devcon.exe file in step 2 above.
4. Each time you boot your PC double click on the shortcut. Alternatively you can automate it by:
a. Downloding and installing Classic Shell Menu from:
Welcome to Classic Shell
b. After installing and configuring the Classic Shell you will have the Classic Start Menu back on your Windows 8 (note that Windows 8 does not have Start Menu), drag the devcon.exe shortcut icon to the Start Menu button. While still holding down the mouse navigate to the "Program" then "Start-up". As you come to the start-up it will open a menu of all the programs that are scheduled to auto-start. Now release you mouse button while in that menu (you will see a black bold line drawn as you go to the menu. Only release the mouse button when you see this black line)
c. Now every time you start your computer it will go to the Start-up folder and run the Devcon.exe shortcut which will now invoke the "rescan" command in the devcon.exe. This is the command that "Scan for hardware changes" in "Device Manager". Thus the device manager will rescan and put you battery icon on the taskbar.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Dec 2012   #7
Abubakar

Windows 8 Pro x 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Abubakar View Post
==============================================================================
How to make the taskbar battery icon to appear each time you boot the computer in Window 8. This applies to other devices that refuse to show until you use "scan for hardware changes" in Device manager:
==============================================================================
1. Download DevCon.exe from Microsoft:
The DevCon command-line utility functions as an alternative to Device Manager
2. Extract the files. U will find 2 folders:
"i386" is for 32-bit system
"ia64" is for 64-bit system, however if you are using Windows8 it will not work and you will have to use the "i386" folder content.
Note that each of the 2 folders contains a file of the same name: "DevCon.exe". Extract the one that works for you to either of these directories:
C:\Windows\System32
C:\Windows\
After copying right click on the devcon.exe and select "Creat shortcut"
3. Go to the shortcut on the desktop and right click it to select properties
4. Change the "Target:" to:
C:\Windows\System32\devcon.exe /rescan or
C:\Windows\devcon.exe /rescan
depending on where you copied the devcon.exe file in step 2 above.
4. Each time you boot your PC double click on the shortcut. Alternatively you can automate it by:
a. Downloding and installing Classic Shell Menu from:
Welcome to Classic Shell
b. After installing and configuring the Classic Shell you will have the Classic Start Menu back on your Windows 8 (note that Windows 8 does not have Start Menu), drag the devcon.exe shortcut icon to the Start Menu button. While still holding down the mouse navigate to the "Program" then "Start-up". As you come to the start-up it will open a menu of all the programs that are scheduled to auto-start. Now release you mouse button while in that menu (you will see a black bold line drawn as you go to the menu. Only release the mouse button when you see this black line)
c. Now every time you start your computer it will go to the Start-up folder and run the Devcon.exe shortcut which will now invoke the "rescan" command in the devcon.exe. This is the command that "Scan for hardware changes" in "Device Manager". Thus the device manager will rescan and put you battery icon on the taskbar.
I hope this helps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Have to rescan drives almost all the time




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
New second hdd disappears after every reboot, appears after rescan
Hi Firstly my specs are Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.5GHz Foxconn G31MX motherboard 4 GB installed memory The current hdd is a WDC WD7500AADS
Hardware & Devices
Bitlocker Not Auto-Mounting Drives Every Time
I have automatic incremental backups scheduled to run every day at 6PM of our server (Win 2008 r2). The task backups up important folders to 2 different external drives (X: and Y: ) running bitlocker. They are set to automatically unlock on the server when connected. Once a day when I get in...
System Security
BSOD on command diskpart, rescan, error 0xfffff880009a97e8
Hello i'm new here, and english isnt my main language, so i was trying to read on how to create the BSOD dump file, but how i'm supposed to do that if i can't get into windows 7 to install that software or change anything? My system is complete unacessible. I was trying to recover one harddrive...
BSOD Help and Support
Partition not Showing in Win7 After Rescan in Disk Management
Hi there, I've a Hitachi 500GB SATA HDD, Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit. The other day i was just playing around with Disk Management and unintentionally right clicked on one of my drives and clicked "Rescan". The Disk Management did something for a while and then my PC restarted and that particular...
General Discussion
have a chkdsk run on all drives every time I boot
My W7 PC is in "Hibernate" most of the time and I rarely restart it. I would like to do what most people are trying to avoid: I would LIKE TO have a chkdsk run on all drives every time I boot. Is there an easy way to do this? Further, might there be any way to distinguish between "this chkdsk is...
Performance & Maintenance
2 matching ext. drives but only one shows at a time
I have 2 WD external 1TB usb hard drives that are exactly the same. I have had them both plugged in at the same time in the past just fine and both shows up. Now when I plug them in only one will show at a time... whichever one is plugged in first is the one that shows. The other makes the...
Hardware & Devices

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:54.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App