Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can my PSU support it?

13 Jul 2010   #1
Kidfork

Windows 7/Ubuntu
 
 
Can my PSU support it?

Alright so my current system is a

Intel Pentium Dual Core E5400 2.7GHz
Geforce 9500 GT
1 Sata
1 DVD
2 Sticks of DDR2 667MHz


I would like to Upgrade to a AMD Phenom X4 9850, with a 450W PSU, (Motherboards are practicably identical).

I already check the extreme PSU calculator but it said only about 275W which makes me a little bit skeptical. So what wold you say?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Jul 2010   #2
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Under load, the Phenom uses 311 watts - 185 watts at idle. Add that to the 9500GT, and you may be over the limit.
But why do you want to "downgrade" from a 2.7GHz CPU to a 2.5GHz CPU. Don't expect too much from the 4 cores because most programs will not be using them. I am very disappointed with my quad processor. My slightly faster duo core is better.

PS: The wattage was measured by a German computer mag
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #3
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

For what it is worth:

AMD Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition review

which says:

So in combo with a fully build system with the Radeon HD 3870 active, we idle at 170 Watt, that's quite a lot actually.

Once we stress the 4 CPU cores we peak at 246 Watt, when we start to play a game we peak at 269 Watt.

Once we overclock the processor towards 3 GHz we see an idle power consumption of 215 Watt, 321 Watt when we stress the 4 CPU cores, and measured while playing some games we peak towards 334 Watt.

So your PSU looks OK to me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Jul 2010   #4
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
For what it is worth:

AMD Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition review

which says:

So in combo with a fully build system with the Radeon HD 3870 active, we idle at 170 Watt, that's quite a lot actually.

Once we stress the 4 CPU cores we peak at 246 Watt, when we start to play a game we peak at 269 Watt.

Once we overclock the processor towards 3 GHz we see an idle power consumption of 215 Watt, 321 Watt when we stress the 4 CPU cores, and measured while playing some games we peak towards 334 Watt.

So your PSU looks OK to me.
What about the 9500GT that needs a minimum of 400 watts setup itself.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #5
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
What about the 9500GT that needs a minimum of 400 watts itself.
I certainly have no personal knowledge, but Nvidia says 50 watts--unless I am completely confused--always possible:

GeForce 9500 GT: a graphics card perfect for the ultimate 3D user experience and playing the latest PC games.

Thermal and Power Specs:
Maximum GPU Temperature (in C) 105 C
Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) 50 W
Minimum Recommended System Power (W) 350 W
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #6
Wishmaster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

I was always under the impression the recommended wattage a GPU gives is taking into account the rest of the system. (Recommended System Power for a typical mainstream setup that is)

Not actually what the card needs itself.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #7
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
I was always under the impression the recommended wattage a GPU gives is taking into account the rest of the system. (Recommended System Power for a typical mainstream setup that is)

Not actually what the card needs itself.
That is correct. But the key here is " typical mainstream setup ". The CPU that we are talking about is a particularily intensive power user. So I think we are outside a "typical" setup. Maybe I am just too prudent in power matters, but better be safe than sorry.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #8
Kidfork

Windows 7/Ubuntu
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Under load, the Phenom uses 311 watts - 185 watts at idle. Add that to the 9500GT, and you may be over the limit.
But why do you want to "downgrade" from a 2.7GHz CPU to a 2.5GHz CPU. Don't expect too much from the 4 cores because most programs will not be using them. I am very disappointed with my quad processor. My slightly faster duo core is better.

PS: The wattage was measured by a German computer mag
Well to start I can actually get the quad core for the same price. Belive it or not,

In a benchmarking test my 2.7Ghz Pentium scored 1800

While the Phenom scored a 2966. Its close to double of the Pentium.

Also if I were upgrading what would be a recommended PSU Wattage?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #9
Wishmaster

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
I was always under the impression the recommended wattage a GPU gives is taking into account the rest of the system. (Recommended System Power for a typical mainstream setup that is)

Not actually what the card needs itself.
That is correct. But the key here is " typical mainstream setup ". The CPU that we are talking about is a particularily intensive power user. So I think we are outside a "typical" setup. Maybe I am just too prudent in power matters, but better be safe than sorry.
I misunderstood the original question then.

I agree with you. But the wattage I think it depends greatly on the type of PSU as well.
A good 450-550W would be plenty I would think.


Kidfork,
I personally prefer Corsair PSUs. But there are a few other good quality ones.
I believe something like a 450W Corasir would be enough, but I would go with a 500-550W simply because youll have more headroom for future upgrades.

Main thing is get a good PSU (whichever brand you choose), and look more at the 12V rail amperage and effeciency.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #10
bobkn

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Under load, the Phenom uses 311 watts - 185 watts at idle. Add that to the 9500GT, and you may be over the limit.
But why do you want to "downgrade" from a 2.7GHz CPU to a 2.5GHz CPU. Don't expect too much from the 4 cores because most programs will not be using them. I am very disappointed with my quad processor. My slightly faster duo core is better.

PS: The wattage was measured by a German computer mag
That must be a total system power. The 9850 is rated at 125W TDP.

AMD Phenomâ„¢ Model Number and Feature Comparisons

The 9500GT doesn't use any auxiliary power connectors, so it must use less than 75W (rated max. of the PCI-E slot). The 50W max listed by another poster sounds right.

PSUs vary a great deal. A good 400W one can supply more current at +12V than a cheap 600W one. What make is your PSU? How many amps at +12V? (See the sticker.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can my PSU support it?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Can my PSU support this rig?
What should be the minimum power supply for an intel i5 2500k and a sapphire radeon 6770? Right now I'm running a Corsair 600x power supply.
Hardware & Devices
Support Please
Hi i recently installed windows 7 ultimate 32bit from Xp and there is a problem with internet i bought a Network adapter it shows that the internet connection is available but when i go on IE7 the connection speed is slow it takes about 10minutes to get to google . do i have to download some extra...
Drivers
PC Support
I do pc support as a side job as-well, sorry if this is not the place to post it. But recently i got a job for someone sending me 10 computers at once. I dont know what i could get in trouble for or sued, but what is good for them to sign as a disclaimer, what should i write as one, i need to...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App