Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 200mb partition?


15 May 2009   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
200mb partition?

I had Windows 7 beta 7000 on C partition,and of course,extra partition 200mb big.After that I messed up something,wasn't able to boot from that partition and because of that I installed Windows 7 again but on D partition,and without formatting that C partition or that new created 200mb big partition.Now I had one more partition free,and I want install build 7100 on that partition,
so my question is may I format that 200mb partition what was created with first installation of Windows 7 together with that first,now nonbootable partition of Windows 7?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 May 2009   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Pretty sure you will find the 200mb is listed as System in Disk Management.

Post a screenshot of Disk Management. like this:

200mb partition?-diskmanagement2009-02-04_031947.jpg

If that is the case, and you want to remove it , as well as stop 7100 making another - you need to make D the System partition.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2009   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x32
 
 

any reason it does that in the first place?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


15 May 2009   #4

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by drazenn View Post
I had Windows 7 beta 7000 on C partition,and of course,extra partition 200mb big.After that I messed up something,wasn't able to boot from that partition and because of that I installed Windows 7 again but on D partition,and without formatting that C partition or that new created 200mb big partition.Now I had one more partition free,and I want install build 7100 on that partition,
so my question is may I format that 200mb partition what was created with first installation of Windows 7 together with that first,now nonbootable partition of Windows 7?
I would have deleted that failed install partition before doing the new partition.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2009   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Yep,I found it,but my question is(knowing that in that partition are system files),may I format it together with first nonbootable instalation without consequences for another,working installation of windows 7 which I made after this.
If there is no consequences,I would certainly delet it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2009   #6

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by drazenn View Post
Yep,I found it,but my question is(knowing that in that partition are system files),may I format it together with first nonbootable instalation without consequences for another,working installation of windows 7 which I made after this.
If there is no consequences,I would certainly delet it.
You can delete that partition if you are not booting an OS from it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are booting from a good install on D:\ ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2009   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Yes,I also believe that this partition is not connected with this another new Windows 7 partition from which I boot now,but I needed confirm.I wasn't sure if system files for both partitions are inside it(inside 200mb) or this new D partition has it's own system files stored all inside D.
So,thank you very much,after all,I actually don't need neither that D partition,I just want to copy some files from it after I install 7100 (or maybe even 7127,I'll see),and I believe I can copy files from it when I take ownership from new 7100,even if the old one is not bootable.
Once again,thank you all.
Cheers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2009   #8

Windows 7 64Bit RC (Dual Boot with XP)
 
 
issue is basic disk

Tried to install 7 on a hard drive with no partitions.
It wanted to setup the disk with a 100mb partition probably to use it as a dynamic disk. I hate dynamic disks. Serve no real purpose at all.

Had to use an XP CD to create partitions. So lost only 8MB and not 100MB.

dont know why MS likes setting up new hdd's as dynamic disks.
After the database table got lost while setting up a 1TB disk.
I always use simple disks....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2009   #9

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by drazenn View Post
Yes,I also believe that this partition is not connected with this another new Windows 7 partition from which I boot now,but I needed confirm.I wasn't sure if system files for both partitions are inside it(inside 200mb) or this new D partition has it's own system files stored all inside D.
So,thank you very much,after all,I actually don't need neither that D partition,I just want to copy some files from it after I install 7100 (or maybe even 7127,I'll see),and I believe I can copy files from it when I take ownership from new 7100,even if the old one is not bootable.
Once again,thank you all.
Cheers
The 200MB partition (system partition) is tied to one install. They are not mixed or combined. So deleting one does not badly effect the other. It is merely what each particular install sets aside.

Cheers!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 May 2009   #10

Windows 7 x64 / Same
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tries View Post

Had to use an XP CD to create partitions. So lost only 8MB and not 100MB.
And the 7 install runs fine with only 8MB allocated for that system partition?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 200mb partition?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: 200mb partition?
Thread Forum
Solved "System Reserved" - Options to Skip at installation or Create at 200MB Installation & Setup
Can OS partition access a dual boot partition if encrypted w/Bitlocker General Discussion
Windows 7 200Mb partition Installation & Setup
XP Dual Boot issue - 200mb System Partition Installation & Setup
svchost.exe consuming ~200MB RAM Performance & Maintenance
Windows 7 created an extra 200MB partition Installation & Setup
Windows 7 200MB Partition Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33