I originally bought an HP 6210F that developed drive problems. Made a default backup and saved to external HD.
when received the P6240F replacement and set it up, I applied that backup and that's when hundreds of xxxxxxx (2) (duplicate files) appeared in the
11 GB Recovery drive - the D: drive directories. - Space remaining became 6.9 MEG !!!!
Deleting all (2) dupes (exact same times and sizes) brought free space up to 55 Meg, still with warning of low disk space on D: (Alert now
disabled) - I can find nothing writing to the D: drive.
55 meg is all that is free and somewhere I was told it must be >=200 meg free to be sufficient. is that true?
this all started after a 1st-time backup restore ended up in D: :-(
And this HP 6240f machine was only a week or so old. :-( - I have been using it (no choice as web pages needed work) for ~3 weeks now with no
operational problems, but as I'm still getting the low D: Drive space warning when enabled, I must have a problem still.. :-(
Have wised up and made the 3 recovery CD's, but being polio-disabled, I just can't face starting over, and hope to just "fix" it. :-)
I'm afraid I'm "hosed" if that 55 Meg Free will stop a future system recovery. :-( :-(
Here is a scan of the Fonts directory. The red arrows show already deleted 2nd copies, but the JAP and KOR ones can be seen in the JPG. - CAN
they be deleted? http://www.pixtoshare.net/d_drive_boot-Fonts.jpg
I have managed to go from that 7 Meg free to the current 55 Meg free by ALSO deleting almost 800 other (2) type dupes in other D: directories!
(Same situation - same names, dates and sizes, but with a (2) after the name.)
Forgive me if a bit slow - as a Polio Survivor, I have difficulty typing and will try to get captures or refer to earlier one(s) ;-)
Summary as of today:
1) d_drive_boot.jpg is exactly the same sizes and 7/14/2009 file dates now with those (2) ones now gone. the FONTS directory therein now has new
date of 07/22/2010, as we might expect and next will look into that FONTS directory:
2) d_drive_boot-Fonts.jpg has exactly the same sizes and 7/14/2009 file dates now with those (2) ones now gone.
what bothers us is that the free space does not reflect that massive deletion!
3) NEW-SCAN - http://pixtoshare.net/d_drive_main-newest.jpg
is exactly the same sizes as before with some new dates and with those (2) ones
4) NEW-SCAN - http://pixtoshare.net/d_drive_hp-top.jpg
added - /APPS has 39 directories - all 2009 or jan 2010 dates.
/CDCreator log empty - /Drv has 19 Directories 2009 and jan 2010 - /INI dated 7/21/2010 has 18 ini's
all usual 2009 or jan 2010 dates
5) /MLs has 3 ini files - all same dates as above (factory dates)
6) / PCDRWINPE has 1560 files all 2009, as are the sub-directory file dates.
7) /recovery has /Log, /patch and /update subdirectories. /update is empty, but /log may be interesting noting file dates of the (2) ones and originals
- will post at http://pixtoshare.net/hp_recovery-log.jpg
/patch has only the factory files w/2009 dates.
(HOPE I DON'T TIME-OUT!)
/support has only factory files.
/preload (above /hp) in d:root has only 74 factory 2009 files
/Recovery in d: root has system 32 dated 7/21/2010 and not accessible, and WindowsRE dated 7/21/2010 and also, not accessible. also has 2009
/System Volume Information (dated feb, 2010 - (Factory) not accessible.
HOPE this helps - Could not scan some, but they were all factory-dated. Gotta take a rest.
Tom in GA