Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Installing Windows7 While on Ubuntu

03 Sep 2010   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 
(Solved) Installing Windows7 While on Ubuntu

My school has extreme prejudice when it comes to Linux and I just don't have the time between classes to get their temperamental system to love me, I digress:

I want to fully install windows 7 on my laptop, as in get rid of Ubuntu, and I get to the part on the windows 7 installation disk where it shows me the partitions on my hard drive and it says that they are not NTFS and so it cannot be installed on them, I know. My question is if I delete the partition with Linux on it at the windows installer what will happen? Will the partition default back to NTFS? Does windows format it to NTFS? I'm confused and I keep getting mixed answers.
If you need my laptop information, doubt it, I'll post. I'm running:

You are using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - the Lucid Lynx - released in April 2010 and supported until April 2013.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Sep 2010   #2

Vista 64 Ultimate, Windows 7 64 Ultimate, Ubuntu 9.10
 
 

You should be able to delete the partition and Windows 7 may have to format it for it to be used as NTFS, if you can get a bootable 98 SE CD you should be able to boot from the CD and just format the C: drive and be good to go if there is nothing you're wanting to save.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2010   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

What is the "bootable 98 SE CD"? I don't care about the information I have now, I'm trying to do this before school starts so I don't have any important data on the computer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


03 Sep 2010   #4

 
 

the short answer is yes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2010   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, XP Mode, W8.1 Preview VM - 7 Pro x64 second remote tower
 
 

Hello doomgaze Welcome to the Seven Forums!

For replacing ubuntu with Windows 7 you will need to remove the present partition if it is an extended type and not a primary type partition. Windows won't install onto an extended volume.

Most likely you could use the reformat option since it was likely a VFat primary ubuntu was installed to. To insure the best results however deletion of the present and using the drive tools found during the 7 setup will allow you to create a new NTFS primary. The separate option to format it is also seen.

If you allow the 7 installer to format you may see the 100mb system reserved boot partition in front of the C primary created as well. You can opt to boot live with the latest GParted and avoid that when seeing the new primary replace the old.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2010   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
Hello doomgaze Welcome to the Seven Forums!

For replacing ubuntu with Windows 7 you will need to remove the present partition if it is an extended type and not a primary type partition. Windows won't install onto an extended volume.

Most likely you could use the reformat option since it was likely a VFat primary ubuntu was installed to. To insure the best results however deletion of the present and using the drive tools found during the 7 setup will allow you to create a new NTFS primary. The separate option to format it is also seen.

If you allow the 7 installer to format you may see the 100mb system reserved boot partition in front of the C primary created as well. You can opt to boot live with the latest GParted and avoid that when seeing the new primary replace the old.

Thank you for the response before I go ahead I just want to check something:


I should be deleting the larger partition, correct?


It does not allow me to format, only to delete, should I still delete and it will format or something else?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2010   #7

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by doomgaze View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
Hello doomgaze Welcome to the Seven Forums!

For replacing ubuntu with Windows 7 you will need to remove the present partition if it is an extended type and not a primary type partition. Windows won't install onto an extended volume.

Most likely you could use the reformat option since it was likely a VFat primary ubuntu was installed to. To insure the best results however deletion of the present and using the drive tools found during the 7 setup will allow you to create a new NTFS primary. The separate option to format it is also seen.

If you allow the 7 installer to format you may see the 100mb system reserved boot partition in front of the C primary created as well. You can opt to boot live with the latest GParted and avoid that when seeing the new primary replace the old.

Thank you for the response before I go ahead I just want to check something:

I should be deleting the larger partition, correct?

It does not allow me to format, only to delete, should I still delete and it will format or something else?
doomgaze;

Delete both of the partitions you see here, then allow the Windows 7 installer to take over. It should create the needed partitions and install Windows 7 correctly from there. You do not need to do anything else special. When done, you should be able to boot to your new Windows 7 OS.

(Sometimes things do not go as planned, so let us know if there are any hiccups?)

PS @Night Hawk; I have had no problem installing Windows OSs in logical partitions on an extended partition. Don't know why you would?

Cheers!
Robert
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2010   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

They only thing I'm worried about the "should" part haha
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2010   #9

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by doomgaze View Post
They only thing I'm worried about the "should" part haha
Well ... since we do not know anything about your laptop, whether the hardware is compatible with Windows 7, we can not offer any absolutes.

If you wish, you can go to this web site and see if Windows 7 is compatible with your computer?

Windows 7 Compatibility: Software Programs & Hardware Devices: Find Updates, Drivers, & Downloads

Cheers!
Robert
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2010   #10

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

I've had the beta edition of windows7 on my computer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Installing Windows7 While on Ubuntu




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Installing Windows7 While on Ubuntu
Thread Forum
windows7s bsod in VB under ubuntu Virtualization
Ubuntu and Windows7 boot options Installation & Setup
Help with installing Ubuntu Chillout Room
Installing UBUNTU in win7 Installation & Setup
Installing Ubuntu Installation & Setup
Installing onto ubuntu 9.04 Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33