Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Setup hangs after automatic restart


24 Sep 2010   #1

Windows 7 x64bit Home Premium
 
 
Setup hangs after automatic restart

Hello.
I have good installation disk because I have use it a lot before and recently.
I am trying to install Windows 7 x64 on my sistem partition, (recently wiped and formatted) but everytime setup finishes with the first part of the installation it automatically restarts but it gets stuck when the "press any key to boot from dvd" message e tridappears, (If I don't press any key).
If I press any key it wil start the installation over again.

What is this??

I tried ejecting the cd and boot from the harddrive but the screen will remain black with blinking cursor.

THANKS A LOT


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Sep 2010   #2
Microsoft MVP

 

Try setting HD as first to boot in BIOS setup. Start the DVD by using one-time BIOS boot menu key given on first screen, or let it autostart now to continue installation when you power up.

Next, wipe the HD before trying reinstall: SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation

If you failed to back up data partitions before trying reinstall to System Partition, copy it out now using this method: Copy & Paste - in Windows Recovery Console

Or use free Partition Wizard bootable CD to wipe only the System Partition: Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Sep 2010   #3

Systems 1 and 2: Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Win 8 Developer
 
 

Good solution above. It's pretty weird that you're offered the option to bypass the optical drive boot, but it gets stuck.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


24 Sep 2010   #4

Windows 7 x64bit Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Try setting HD as first to boot in BIOS setup. Start the DVD by using one-time BIOS boot menu key given on first screen, or let it autostart now to continue installation when you power up.

Next, wipe the HD before trying reinstall: SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation

If you failed to back up data partitions before trying reinstall to System Partition, copy it out now using this method: Copy & Paste - in Windows Recovery Console

Or use free Partition Wizard bootable CD to wipe only the System Partition: Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD
I wiped the system partition with acronis partition magic and formatted it.
I tried booting from the harddrive after choosing Hitachy in Bios boot order.

I also cannot wipe the disk completely because I have another partition with my Virtual Insts. Libraries. (Like 300gb's)

But, I don't quite understand this:
"Start the DVD by using one-time BIOS boot menu key given on first screen, or let it autostart now to continue installation when you power up".

What do you mean???

sorrry thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Sep 2010   #5

Systems 1 and 2: Windows 7 Enterprise x64, Win 8 Developer
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by amoretam View Post
But, I don't quite understand this:
"Start the DVD by using one-time BIOS boot menu key given on first screen, or let it autostart now to continue installation when you power up".
Getting the one-time boot menu is sort of like getting into safe mode. INSTEAD of tapping F8, you tap F12 when you first see anything on the monitor (NOT WINDOWS, but the manufacturer's info).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Sep 2010   #6
Microsoft MVP

 

When you set HD first to boot, trigger the DVD drive if necessary using the one-time BIOS boot menu given on first boot screen or in your mobo Manual. As I do not know Nvidia mobo given in your specs, I can't find it for you. But the DVD should autostart now for you when you power up anyway, to complete installation or if you wipe the partition again.

If not, try using the best Partition Manager compatible with Windows 7 to wipe and format the partition, then mark Active before install: Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Sep 2010   #7

Windows 7 x64bit Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
When you set HD first to boot, trigger the DVD drive if necessary using the one-time BIOS boot menu given on first boot screen or in your mobo Manual. As I do not know Nvidia mobo given in your specs, I can't find it for you. But the DVD should autostart now for you when you power up anyway, to complete installation or if you wipe the partition again.

If not, try using the best Partition Manager compatible with Windows 7 to wipe and format the partition, then mark Active before install: Partition Wizard : Use the Bootable CD
computer does nothing when I type F12.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Sep 2010   #8

Windows 7 x64bit Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
BIOS Boot Menu key is normally ESC on Evga boards. See if that works.
I have installed windows 7 like 5 times with this cd and same hardware and same partition space before.
My mobo is an XFX nforce.
I have the manual but cannot find the BIOS boot menu thing.

I also have the latest BIOS downloaded from XFX support site.

I tried ESC, F2, F10, F8, F12, with Hitachy first in boot order but it goes to black screen and blinking cursor, from there I have to reset.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Sep 2010   #9
Microsoft MVP

 

What has changed since that last time you installed?

Have you tried removing all but 2gb of RAM to try install?

I think you need to wipe the HD with a set of zeroes using a known compatible manager like free Partition Wizard bootable CD, then Format Primary NTFS and Modify>Mark as Active. This works sometimes in such cases.

Setting HD as first to boot in BIOS setup also works quite often, but you need to boot the DVD with the BIOS one-time Boot Menu key unless it will autostart on empty HD.

Next test your RAM for 5-6 passes with memtest86,

then test HD using maker's diag/repair full CD scan. http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2010   #10

Windows 7 x64bit Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
What has changed since that last time you installed?

Have you tried removing all but 2gb of RAM to try install?

I think you need to wipe the HD with a set of zeroes using a known compatible manager like free Partition Wizard bootable CD, then Format Primary NTFS and Modify>Mark as Active. This works sometimes in such cases.

Setting HD as first to boot in BIOS setup also works quite often, but you need to boot the DVD with the BIOS one-time Boot Menu key unless it will autostart on empty HD.

Next test your RAM for 5-6 passes with memtest86,

then test HD using maker's diag/repair full CD scan. Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
Nothing has changed, I just reinstall windows because I could not rate my computer, (WEI score).
So I wiped partition with a set of zeroes with partition magic, formatted as ntfs and, made it active and tried reinstalling.
Currently i am using 2gb's of memory from 8'gb's.
I did the memory test thing, no errors.
I disconnected 2nd harddrive.
And i used hitachy diagnostic tools to test HD, no errors.

I am setting HD as first boot in BIOS, but I still do not understand when you talk about the "boot the DVD with the BIOS one-time Boot Menu key".

Thanks for your help...
I ll go to sleep now, see you tomorrow, hopefully we'll get thi work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Setup hangs after automatic restart




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Setup hangs after automatic restart
Thread Forum
Boot, automatic restart don't work BSOD Help and Support
Automatic restart after updates Performance & Maintenance
Automatic PC Restart. General Discussion
Windows 7 automatic restart Installation & Setup
Auto restart even if uncheck automatic restart BSOD Help and Support
Automatic restart on system crash BSOD Help and Support
How do I setup automatic login? System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33