Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Problem in Installing Ubuntu with Windows 7

15 Oct 2010   #11
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Hello Akhare1, welcome to Seven Forums



If you tie Windows to Ubuntu with Grub, you will have issues when/if you want to remove Ubuntu, just thought you should know the facts before you get too far in this.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Oct 2010   #12
Akhare1

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zidane24 View Post
One last thing....do you want to use the GRUB bootloader or the Windows bootloader?
I don't have any cognizance regarding these two loaders.Basically ,for what purpose there are used.Is it required.Which one would you recommend ??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2010   #13
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

You did see this correct?



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello Akhare1, welcome to Seven Forums



If you tie Windows to Ubuntu with Grub, you will have issues when/if you want to remove Ubuntu, just thought you should know the facts before you get too far in this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Oct 2010   #14
Akhare1

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
You did see this correct?



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Hello Akhare1, welcome to Seven Forums



If you tie Windows to Ubuntu with Grub, you will have issues when/if you want to remove Ubuntu, just thought you should know the facts before you get too far in this.
I'll be removing Ubuntu in near future and hence I don't want any issues with Windows.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2010   #15
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Akhare1 View Post


I'll be removing Ubuntu in near future and hence I don't want any issues with Windows.


Don't use Grub then or you will have issues removing Grub from Windows, just keep it as you have it using Wubi, then it can be removed as needed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2010   #16
Akhare1

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Akhare1 View Post


I'll be removing Ubuntu in near future and hence I don't want any issues with Windows.


Don't use Grub then or you will have issues removing Grub from Windows, just keep it as you have it using Wubi, then it can be removed as needed.
Okay then,It's time for you to write down the steps,please.
I'm waiting!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2010   #17
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

I don't do Linux so I can't help you, ask the Resident Linux Expert.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Oct 2010   #18
Akhare1

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
I don't do Linux so I can't help you, ask the Resident Linux Expert.
You asked me so many questions as if you were about to tell me the steps for Ubuntu installation.

Now you are saying that you are not proficient in it.What happened?

Why did you ask me so many questions then?

Tell me!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2010   #19
Bare Foot Kid
Microsoft MVP

W 7 64-bit Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Akhare1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
I don't do Linux so I can't help you, ask the Resident Linux Expert.
You asked me so many questions as if you were about to tell me the steps for Ubuntu installation.

Now you are saying that you are not proficient in it.What happened?

Why did you ask me so many questions then?

Tell me!!

I wanted to make sure you knew adding Linux/Grub to Windows would be very difficult to remove later because others that were suggesting you do this were not warning you of the possible difficulties.

I haven't used Linux enough to assist you in its installation, I just don't like to see people proficient with something advocating use without sufficient warning of the possible side-effects.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Oct 2010   #20
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Akhare1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bare Foot Kid View Post
I don't do Linux so I can't help you, ask the Resident Linux Expert.
You asked me so many questions as if you were about to tell me the steps for Ubuntu installation.

Now you are saying that you are not proficient in it.What happened?

Why did you ask me so many questions then?

Tell me!!

I wanted to make sure you knew adding Linux/Grub to Windows would be very difficult to remove later because others that were suggesting you do this were not warning you of the possible difficulties.

I haven't used Linux enough to assist you in its installation, I just don't like to see people proficient with something advocating use without sufficient warning of the possible side-effects.
Sorry about this folks....still recovering from my kidney issues and had to break from the forums for a while yesterday

First off I didn't warn him of the possible issues (even though you are right Ted) because he already installed the GRUB bootloader since that guy in the video makes no mention of not doing so and the default choice in Ubuntu's installation is to install the GRUB bootloader. If you look back to my original post I did make a mention that it was optional but then realized at this point it was to late

Now....not to worry over spilled milk or anything...lets get down to business

To recap...
  • You installed Ubuntu Linux to a seperate partition while also installing the GRUB bootloader to the MBR
  • You mention that you will be removing Ubuntu in the future....this will have some complications in the form of making your computer un-bootable.
....that covers pretty much everything right? Lets fix it so you can remove Ubuntu when you want to, still boot into Ubuntu, and keep the computer bootable to at least Windows alright?
  • First - go back to Ubuntu's setup
  • Second - on the partitioner screen, format your Ubuntu partition
  • Third - choose the formatted partition and set the mount point to "/". You may ignore the swap space as you really don't need it
  • Fourth - in the last box on this screen it will ask you where you want to install the GRUB bootloader. Select the partition that you formatted and are going to use for Ubuntu's installation...This is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT
  • Fifth - continue with setup as normal. Restart when it tells you to
  • Sixth - boot into Windows and download this application: http://neosmart.net/downloads/softwa...CD%202.0.2.exe
  • Seventh - run EasyBCD (application you just installed) -> choose "Bootloader Setup" -> choose the top radio option at the bottom -> click "Write MBR"
  • Eigth - now in the same application, choose "Add New Entry" -> Linux/BSD -> choose "Grub 2" in the drop down list -> In the Name field, name it "Ubuntu Linux" -> click "Add Entry"
  • Ninth - close the application and reboot. You should be able to see both Windows 7 and Ubuntu Linux on the list. You will be able to boot into both with no issue
Whew.....that was alot wasn't? Lets summarize what I had you do
  • Installed Ubuntu to its own partition
  • Placed the GRUB bootloader ONLY in the Ubuntu partition (allows you to boot Ubuntu without affecting Windows)
  • Re-wrote Windows' Bootloader to the MBR
  • Placed an entry on the Windows' Bootloader so you can boot Ubuntu and Windows
Now if you remove Ubuntu in the future...nothing will change. you can still boot into Windows with no issue.

I hope this helps,
Chris
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Problem in Installing Ubuntu with Windows 7




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Problem installing windows 7 on ubuntu 11.04
I have uBuntu installed on my Compaq CQ42 right now. I want to install Windows 7 but when I boot from a DVD I get a black screen and a blinking cursor. When I boot from a USB Drive, I'm able to enter the setup and boot properly but when I click Custom Install, I get this error: No drives...
Installation & Setup
Installing windows 7 over Ubuntu...
Hi,earlier i had windows 7 on two partitions and Ubuntu on one.Then I re-installed windows 7 on one partition.Now OS Boot menu is not shown at startup.The new OS starts directly.How can i add entries of old Ubuntu and windows 7?
Installation & Setup
Installing Ubuntu With Windows 7
I have Windows 7 Ultimate on my main computer. I'm not sure what the feature is called, but I was told that there was an app that would allow me to install another operating system, in my case Ubuntu, so that it is accessible from within Windows 7. I'm not looking to dual boot, just use it...
Virtualization
Dual boot problem while installing ubuntu 10.10 with windows 7 on hp
Hello friends, I am trying to make my new laptop hp- dv6 3174 dual boot with two operating systems Windows 7(which is preinstalled) and Ubuntu 10.10. But after i install ubuntu, windows is getting erased. I tried repairing with system repair disc but not possible. Even if i put system repair...
Installation & Setup
Installing Windows 7 over Ubuntu
I'd like to start by saying I'm not very good with computers. I'm a complete noob, infact. Which is why it probably was not a good idea to install Ubuntu. But now, I am trying to rectify this problem. So I popped in the full install version of Windows 7 Home Premium and booted from the disk. I...
Installation & Setup
Black screen problem while installing Ubuntu in VirtualBox
Hello folks, I'm having problem installing ubuntu in virtualbox. It loads fine upto the install menu but after i select 'Install ubuntu server edition'. the screen goes blank with a non-blinking cursor in the upper left corner of the screen. I've attached the screenshot below. How do I solve...
Virtualization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:10.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App