Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Downgrade to Vista from Windows 7

03 Nov 2010   #1
atsilv2012

Windows 7
 
 
Downgrade to Vista from Windows 7

Hello,

I am trying downgrade from windows 7 to windows vista. When I put in my windows vista cd, my computer is unable to "get important updates" and says I will be able to download the updates after the download. I agree to the statement. Next, when it asks what kind of installation I want, I am only able to choose Custom and not Upgrade. After clicking custom, it tell me that "No drives were found. Click Load driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation. None of my drives work. Im stuck here and dont know what to do. Please help.

-Adam


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Nov 2010   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by atsilv2012 View Post
Hello,

I am trying downgrade from windows 7 to windows vista. When I put in my windows vista cd, my computer is unable to "get important updates" and says I will be able to download the updates after the download. I agree to the statement. Next, when it asks what kind of installation I want, I am only able to choose Custom and not Upgrade. After clicking custom, it tell me that "No drives were found. Click Load driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation. None of my drives work. Im stuck here and dont know what to do. Please help.

-Adam
Not even going to ask why you want to but the only way (i believe) is to do a format and re-install. That requires that you have the original vista dvd (not restore or oem).


Try googling it


Ken



edit I was wrong you can and the instructions are here. http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-do...by-step-guide/

My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2010   #3
gregrocker

 

There is no Downgrade option for an in-place install, only Upgrade.

Why do you feel you need to reinstall Vista? If there is a program or driver that is giving you problems, try installing it in Compatibility mode: Compatibility Mode

If this doesn't work, even after consulting experts on how to make it work, then consider shrinking your Win7 partition to install Vista in a Dual Boot until you get it worked out.

As Ken said, you'll have to clean reinstall if you want to go back to Vista. Or run your factory Recovery disks or partition if it still exists.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


03 Nov 2010   #4
atsilv2012

Windows 7
 
 

Haha Im downgrading to vista then going to upgrade to 7 again. I got a virus and my whole computer is out of wack. I just want to recovery factory settings but when I go through the process of hitting f8 and all that, the opionn does not appear.

So can anyone help me recover factory settings in windows 7 withought going back to vista? I purchased windows 7 online and I have the setup files and serial number all ready. What do I do?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2010   #5
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by atsilv2012 View Post
Haha Im downgrading to vista then going to upgrade to 7 again. I got a virus and my whole computer is out of wack. I just want to recovery factory settings but when I go through the process of hitting f8 and all that, the opionn does not appear.

So can anyone help me recover factory settings in windows 7 withought going back to vista? I purchased windows 7 online and I have the setup files and serial number all ready. What do I do?
You don't need to install Vista again. Take your Win 7 disk and follow this tutorial. It will format your drive and install Win 7.
Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2010   #6
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
You don't need to install Vista again. Take you Win 7 disk and follow this tutorial. It will format your drive and install Win 7.
Clean Install with a Upgrade Windows 7 Version
Unless I'm misunderstanding what he's saying....
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by atsilv2012 View Post
So can anyone help me recover factory settings in windows 7 withought going back to vista? I purchased windows 7 online and I have the setup files and serial number all ready. What do I do?
a clean install isn't going to restore his system back to "factory settings"

@ atsilv, do you have a partition on your system that has a recovery disk? If so use that. otherwise the suggestion bigmck gave will be a good option, however this will wipe the drive and you'll have reinstall alll the programs and set the system to your liking.

And if you meant something else, bigmcks suggestion works like a champ
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2010   #7
atsilv2012

Windows 7
 
 

I dont have a partition on my system and I dont mind reinstalling everything. I pretty much just want to start from scratch. When I am running windows 7 installation, It says it cant find a driver. I cant load driver for it to continue. This is so frustrating.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2010   #8
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by atsilv2012 View Post
I dont have a partition on my system and I dont mind reinstalling everything. I pretty much just want to start from scratch. When I am running windows 7 installation, It says it cant find a driver. I cant load driver for it to continue. This is so frustrating.
The Win 7 disk pretty much has all drivers on it. Normally even if you are missing drivers, the OS will load and you can get drivers later. Can you give us the exact wording of the message?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2010   #9
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Let me ask one other question. == Where did you get your copy of Win 7?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2010   #10
sygnus21

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
Let me ask one other question. == Where did you get your copy of Win 7?
good one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Downgrade to Vista from Windows 7




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
need help to downgrade from win7 to win vista
hi i need help since i installed win7 my graphics intergrated motherboard has started playing up alot and has no updates/upgrade for win 7 so been advised to go to win vista as motherboard can take that but i have no idear how to downgrade without losing everything??
Installation & Setup
Can I downgrade from Win7 to Vista or XP?
I've been having lots of problems for the last few months with Win 7 64-bit. All hardware is compatible. Worked fine for a few months, then started having freezing issues. I've troubleshot every part inside, accessory, driver, software program, etc., that I can think of, and I'm just tired of...
General Discussion
How to downgrade to vista
Dear all I have hp laptop dv6615em and I would like to downgarde from window 7 to vista factory setting. I can not go to system recovery in windows 7 by using f11 or f10 key while booting. There is no option in laptop saying hp recovery manager or recovery, all I can see is hp d drive recovery...
Installation & Setup
Downgrade From Win7 RC to Vista
I've searched around, but really haven't found a straight answer to this question. I bought a laptop on ebay that came with 64-Bit Windows 7 RC, now I've got the retail Win7 upgrade. So I'm assuming I have to go back to Vista, and then upgrade to Win7 Retail. My question is: If possible, how can...
General Discussion
Vista 64 to W7 Pro downgrade question
Hi, I'm going to load windows 7 pro on existing vista 64 system. Question is: If I were to do a clean install with w7 pro and keep my d: drive with the factory image of vista 64, would I be able to reload/recover back to vista 64 using my recover disks or d drive factory image that I keep if I...
Installation & Setup
Downgrade to vista
How would I downgrade to vista using RC1?
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App